Banning Slash shirts at shows?

Tyler Drama

There have been numerous reports, even articles written about how venue security at just about every GNR show these past couple of years have been ordered by the band's management not to allow anyone wearing a shirt with Slash on it into the venue. I can confirm that this is true because it happened at every show I went to within this past year. Even people who were wearing Appetite For Destruction shirts were told to turn it inside out because it had Slash's skull on it.

The question is: What's the deal with this? Do you think Axl knows that Team Brazil are making these demands? Do you think it was his idea?

There have been numerous reports, even articles written about how venue security at just about every GNR show these past couple of years have been ordered by the band's management not to allow anyone wearing a shirt with Slash on it into the venue. I can confirm that this is true because it happened at every show I went to within this past year. Even people who were wearing Appetite For Destruction shirts were told to turn it inside out because it had Slash's skull on it.

The question is: What's the deal with this? Do you think Axl knows that Team Brazil are making these demands? Do you think it was his idea?

I know it didn't come from Axl. I think it is a venue order because they are afraid if Axl spots one during the show that he might stop the show and it could end up being a problem. I don't think if Axl saw a AFD shirt that he would have a problem but a Slash shirt could maybe piss him off a bit but, you never really know for sure. It could also be something that came from the band security because they don't want to deal with a problem either and they did it with out management knowing about it. Remember there are a lot of people that travil with the band and the last thing they want to see is something go wrong during the gig.

I know it didn't come from Axl. I think it is a venue order because they are afraid if Axl spots one during the show that he might stop the show and it could end up being a problem. I don't think if Axl saw a AFD shirt that he would have a problem but a Slash shirt could maybe piss him off a bit but, you never really know for sure. It could also be something that came from the band security because they don't want to deal with a problem either and they did it with out management knowing about it. Remember there are a lot of people that travil with the band and the last thing they want to see is something go wrong during the gig.

Sounds very plausible.

I think people blame Axl too much for all kinds of things. Especially when Slash's involved.

I have a queston related to this. At Rio 2001 during it's so easy when axl kicked a guy out and took his shirt, was it a slash shirt or was it something else?

I don't remember but he may have had a sign too but thats the kind of thing that can happen again so thats why you hear about people checking for that kind of stuff at the gigs today. Who gives the order? We may never know.

Sounds very plausible.

I think people blame Axl too much for all kinds of things. Especially when Slash's involved.

But you CAN blame Axl for this, no matter who's behind the Slash T-shirt rule. Because he's the one that has planted the idea of possible problems arising over a simple T-shirt. :rolleyes:

I have a queston related to this. At Rio 2001 during it's so easy when axl kicked a guy out and took his shirt, was it a slash shirt or was it something else?

I don't remember but he may have had a sign too but thats the kind of thing that can happen again so thats why you hear about people checking for that kind of stuff at the gigs today. Who gives the order? We may never know.

It's prob. whomever the security head talked to - local promoter or band security. Security head usually does a huddle, and they have to go over some ground rules, because how security is going to be at a Disney on Ice show isn't the same as it would be at Tool or GNR. I'm sure you had incidents where security wanted to "confiscate" your video camera.

We didn't see the t-shirt that was thrown to Axl by the "mr. security man - That guy - GONE !!! " :lol: but I think the t-shirt in question looks something like this:

slashtshirtrio.jpg

Sounds very plausible.

But you CAN blame Axl for this, no matter who's behind the Slash T-shirt rule. Because he's the one that has planted the idea of possible problems arising over a simple T-shirt. :rolleyes:

No, I don't think so. If the venue chooses to make that call, it's their call and their responsibility for it. To suggest otherwise is just plain stupid. Every show I've been to has had people either in AFD t-shirts or had someone dressed as Slash, and there has not been one issue. If the venues are being overly paranoid, that's on them.

Ali

I firmly believe this is the venues making this rule up. You hear the same shit all the time at GN'R shows; no cameras, no Slash shirts, no flags/banners/signs - as ordered by Axl. The camera one is pure bullshit; I've had band members use my photos, which is proof enough for me that this is not a band rule. The flag one again is 100% bullshit - Axl had me throw my banner onstage at The Ritz so he could show the whole crowd, and then got it back to me. And that kind of thing happens all the time. If he had an issue with flags, he wouldn't be asking for them from people so he could display them for everyone to see. The Slash shirt thing I've only actually seen enforced once, at Terminal 5, and given how crazy their security was I'd absolutely believe they made that rule up. The T5 security threatened to throw me out for texting because I might be taking a picture, and said that if a flash went off near me they'd automatically assume I took a picture. When Fernando came down front demanding they not be so hard on us fans, he was firmly told "no" by security.

Axl and the band don´t give a shit about what t-shirts people are wearing unless someone´s trying to call Axl´s attention with the aim to piss him off as it happened in Rio 2001 where a guy front row was being a jerk to Axl and that´s why he was fired from the show.

Sounds very plausible.

No, I don't think so. If the venue chooses to make that call, it's their call and their responsibility for it. To suggest otherwise is just plain stupid. Every show I've been to has had people either in AFD t-shirts or had someone dressed as Slash, and there has not been one issue. If the venues are being overly paranoid, that's on them.

Ali

That would be assuming that those big wigged, yuppie-types who run the arenas have knowledge of the detailed back stories of Axl vs. Slash. That's too much of a reach for me to believe.

Sounds very plausible.

Ali

That would be assuming that those big wigged, yuppie-types who run the arenas have knowledge of the detailed back stories of Axl vs. Slash. That's too much of a reach for me to believe.

There's not really all that much detail that you need on the backstory to know Axl and Slash had a falling out and that acrimony still lingers. In fact, what I just wrote is all you need to know.

Regardless, if someone else is making the call out of some paranoid sense of wanting to prevent something from happening, whether it is the venues or not, that's on them.

Ali