izzy the songwriter

hey marc! thanks for participating in the forum in this way. i was hoping you could throw a big of light on izzy's role as a songwriter during his time with gnr. we've heard from numerous folks how izzy's biggest contribution to the band was in his role as a songwriter, and judging from the songs they wrote after izzy left, he certainly seems to have contributed quite handily in this function.

but could you illuminate a little about the role of the songwriter in gnr? i know in different bands the title "songwriter" can encompass different things. so when people say izzy was integral in writing the old songs, what kind of stuff did that involve? did he come in with the basic chord changes and chorus idea? or did he write a big share of lyrics too? how finished was the song structure by the time izzy brought it to the guys? how much of the puzzle did they complete?

thanks!

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

hey marc! thanks for participating in the forum in this way. i was hoping you could throw a big of light on izzy's role as a songwriter during his time with gnr. we've heard from numerous folks how izzy's biggest contribution to the band was in his role as a songwriter, and judging from the songs they wrote after izzy left, he certainly seems to have contributed quite handily in this function.

but could you illuminate a little about the role of the songwriter in gnr? i know in different bands the title "songwriter" can encompass different things. so when people say izzy was integral in writing the old songs, what kind of stuff did that involve? did he come in with the basic chord changes and chorus idea? or did he write a big share of lyrics too? how finished was the song structure by the time izzy brought it to the guys? how much of the puzzle did they complete?

thanks!

in 1985/1986 Izzy worked with everyone together whether it was a riff that he came up with or something that Slash came up with. You would always see them working something out between them backstage before a gig or wherever they could work. Izzy also was able to write lyrics and some melodies thats what made him different than Slash. Where Izzy was lacking, Slash was there to fill in what was needed to make the song shine by ripping it apart and changed things that Izzy started. Duff and Axl would also add to it in many ways and then Steven would put some grove to it. So really know matter how you look at it, it was a band effort.

Latter on a lot of the UYI songs were put together by band members and then brought to the rest of the band so they were a bit more like solo songs. However Slash still was able to decorate a song that he didn't write with guitar melodies and leave a huge impact on them like Nov Rain and Estranged and even Don't Cry. In the end Izzy proved to be important part of the puzzle because with out him it all fell apart

Hi Marc, May I ask if you like Izzy's solo work? I enjoy it. My favourite song of his would be 'Sweet Caress' off the On Down the Road album. I Imagine Izzy is very mellow?

Have you ever seen him perform solo?

Cheers, Scott

I do like Izzy's solo work but I never got to see him play it live. In the end of 1991 he was on tour but never made it to Los Angeles. Some friends of mine went to see him IN TJ mexico I didn't go because I thought he would play again soon in my hood.