Oh My God

TyRod Tulip

Marc, first off this is the best section of any of the GNR forums. Thanks for doing this. Your book is a must-have for any GNR fan.

My question: Do you know why Axl allowed Oh My God to be used in the movie End of Days given it was just a demo? It's probably one of my favorite songs even in the demo state, but it is definitely recognizable as demo quality.

I think I remember it being a last minute thing. They wanted a new GNR song and thats what was ready when they needed it. I could be wrong.

Do you think the label or people like Jimmy Iovine put pressure on Axl to put OMG out, so that there would be ANY new GNR product out? Basically told him to give them whatever he had for the soundtrack?

I've read that the label forced the release of the live album, so that's why I'm asking.

I think I remember it being a last minute thing. They wanted a new GNR song and thats what was ready when they needed it. I could be wrong.

Do you think the label or people like Jimmy Iovine put pressure on Axl to put OMG out, so that there would be ANY new GNR product out? Basically told him to give them whatever he had for the soundtrack?

I've read that the label forced the release of the live album, so that's why I'm asking.

I don't know. I also don't think the label didn't force OMG Axl would have never done it if he didn't want to. The live record and Greatest hits were forced because the record co needed money because they put out a lot for a new record and it was nowhere in sight and somewhere in the fine print of the contract it says that they can do that. They wouldn't be able to do that with a new song for a movie.

question for you right here, Marc:

why all the re-recording on "Live Era"? there are provenly many (exspec. vocal) overdubs on it...but they've recorded all the 192(!) Illusion shows some professionally (not necessarily multitracks but still soundboards), where there surely are kick-ass live-songs in there (as we know from tv broadcasts, radio, leaked Proshots etc.). this is really weird to me, GN'R (1985-1993) as such a kick-ass live band rarely released anything real live and good! LLAS wasnt, Live Era isnt....and the Tokyo92 videos dont really show their live power! so why on earth re-recording many of the Live Era songs but labeling them as being "live"?

personally, it seemed like a stretch for me to believe that axl would want one of his new song -- his babies -- rushed out and released as a demo against his will. to me, it seemed like an after-the-fact excuse for the single not making much of an impact. if oh my god had been more popular, do you think chinese democracy would have come out sooner? do things like commercial success or popular reaction weigh on axl at all? he always has a reputation for doing it his way and not giving a fuck. but i think everybody gives a fuck on some level.