What direction did Axl want to go in?

Vincent Vega

You've said that in the mid 90s, Axl had a sense of what he wanted to do musically, and what he definitely didn't want to do. Could you elaborate on what he wanted to do--and what sort of music he was against doing?

I mean the tabloids made it seem that he was totally obsessed with GN'R being an industrial band; other rags put out that he wanted to take GN'R in an alternative direction like Grunge. Yet at the same time he invited Zakk Wylde, a blues based guitarist, to join GN'R, and wanted to work on some of the Snakepit songs.

What sort of sound, as far as you can remember, was he hoping for with the next Guns record in the mid 90s, before Slash and Duff quit? What did he want to do and what didn't he want to do?

I can't really speak for Axl but this is how I saw it. I think he didn't want to go back and do what he already did. So thats where he knew what he didn't want. As far as what he did want, I'm not sure he knew what that was. I think he wanted to see what else he could do. Something different but still very cool. That doesn't mean that it was all going to be all different. Just some of it. The songs that he wanted to work on that Slash had to offer were still old school. I got the felling that he wanted to co produce the band and take it to new levels. I think he wanted to play around until something was right. I also think Slash was not going to let Axl take charge of the record for many different reasons. It was just time for them to do things apart. They were no longer on the same page and Izzy was gone so they were missing a big chunk of how they did things before and other than the money, there was no reason for them to cheat themselves out of what they wanted to do musically. Something had to give. Also they had toured for 3 years in front of huge crowds and their heads were a bit swelled at the time.

I don't know how he met Chris and when he started working with him but I do know that he thought Chris could be creative when it came to writing.

Edited by recklessroad