Axl's vocals on Estranged in 2012

Bruno P.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronald Blumenthal (aka Coverfoot) has made a career of copying Slash's riffs & solos note for note, but with an inferior tone.

Joking right? Slash's tone is thin compared to BBF. Face it....BBF is Estranged, it's his baby.

Bruno I loved this version of Estranged. Estranged was always horse shit live back in the day...thank god they can play it well now.

Why is there nobody reasonable on either side of the fence....*sigh*

Comparing the guitar parts of TWAT to ESTRANGED is beyond illogical.

What makes it illogical?

That's an easy one. The guitar parts of Estranged come nowhere close to the guitar parts in TWAT. :shrugs:

Now that's funny.

The truth often is.

strange, I don't usually find the truth funny.

You must have a really shitty sense of humor. Must suck to be you. :shrugs:

only thing that sucks Is you, nothing wrong with my sense of humor, you and 4-5 others on here provide the rest of us with plenty of humor, with your constant worship.

It's funny how a partially brain dead drool baby such as yourself can't comprehend that there is no worshipping going on just because I don't drool over the thought of some deep Slash penetration like you do. :lol: Now, you aren't worth my time in the least, so bugger off like the moronic little Slash lover that you are. Dumbass.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Ronald Blumenthal (aka Coverfoot) has made a career of copying Slash's riffs & solos note for note, but with an inferior tone.

Joking right? Slash's tone is thin compared to BBF. Face it....BBF is Estranged, it's his baby.

Bruno I loved this version of Estranged. Estranged was always horse shit live back in the day...thank god they can play it well now.

That's the lamentable reality, Graeme. Both sides of the fence are inundated by an irrational fruit loop minority that unfortunately speaks louder than the rest.

I hold the belief that the most reasonable people don't make these kinds of posts so they go unnoticed while the extremes are the ones getting the attention. I mean c'mon both of those posts are just ridiculous, not that they can't have their opinion but the presentation of said opinion is way out there

Dude, get your ears checked. Bumblefoot's tone is shit compared to Slash's (back in the day). And say whatever you want about Bumblefoot and his virtuoso skills but Slash wrote the guitar parts, WROTE WROTE WROTE.

"Slash, thanks for the killer guitar melodies." - Axl Rose. :takethat:

Dude, get your ears checked. Bumblefoot's tone is shit compared to Slash's (back in the day). And say whatever you want about Bumblefoot and his virtuoso skills but Slash wrote the guitar parts, WROTE WROTE WROTE.

Bumblefoot's tone is not shit in comparison. It is very good, imo. However, as Slash originally wrote the song's guitar parts, people (myself included) most likely have a stronger connection to the song when he plays it. Is this such a hard concept for posters to grasp?

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

Bumblefoot's tone is not shit in comparison. It is very good, imo. However, as Slash originally wrote the song's guitar parts, people (myself included) most likely have a stronger connection to the song when he plays it. Is this such a hard concept for posters to grasp?

I know, it's just a general point of view, not just Estranged. Slash's tone was fantastic in the UYI tour, I couldn't pick the right word to describe his sound, sound that lasted until 2004 I'm afraid because his current tone is awful. It's not only Slash playing his material but the sound of that material being reproduced live. Kudos to Bumblefoot and the fade-in fade-out solo because he does a decent job but if you want an clearer example of what I'm saying go check November Rain outro.

Edited by pi2loc

I know, it's just a general point of view, not just Estranged. Slash's tone was fantastic in the UYI tour, I couldn't pick the right word to describe his sound, sound that lasted until 2004 I'm afraid because his current tone is awful. It's not only Slash playing his material but the sound of that material being reproduced live. Kudos to Bumblefoot and the fade-in fade-out solo because he does a decent job but if you want an clearer example of what I'm saying go check November Rain outro.

Thank you for explaining. As a matter of fact, I agree with what you have to say regarding the outro solo in November Rain. To this day, I have not heard a rendition of that solo come close to Slash's. I'm curious, why do you think Slash's tone abruptly changed in 2004?

Anyhow, I still think Bumblefoot does a very good job on Estranged. Though, you seem to have a deeper understanding of guitar playing, so I respect your opinion.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Thank you for explaining. As a matter of fact, I agree with what you have to say regarding the outro solo in November Rain. To this day, I have not heard a rendition of that solo come close to Slash's. I'm curious, why do you think Slash's tone abruptly changed in 2004?

Anyhow, I still think Bumblefoot does a very good job on Estranged. Though, you seem to have a deeper understanding of guitar playing, so I respect your opinion.

Well, that's exactly what I've been asking to myself since that year lol. I would say that since he started using his signature gear he decided to change the tone he had and making it sound like AFD or even pre-AFD because that's what he's identified for so now it's weaker and thinner. Or maybe because it suits better the songs he's been releasing since Contraband? I don't know but I don't like it.

For example, if you compare Nightrain '88 (AFD tone) with Nightrain '93 (UYI tone) you can clearly notice a big difference between tones.

And yes, nobody has been able to replicate Slash's November Rain outro. It's just amazing. :thumbsup:

Well, that's exactly what I've been asking to myself since that year lol. I would say that since he started using his signature gear he decided to change the tone he had and making it sound like AFD or even pre-AFD because that's what he's identified for so now it's weaker and thinner. Or maybe because it suits better the songs he's been releasing since Contraband? I don't know but I don't like it.

For example, if you compare Nightrain '88 (AFD tone) with Nightrain '93 (UYI tone) you can clearly notice a big difference between tones.

And yes, nobody has been able to replicate Slash's November Rain outro. It's just amazing. :thumbsup:

Interesting read. Can't say that I've noticed, but I'll definitely take a closer listen! rock4

Let me help you.

I'm an Axl diehard fan, who gives Slash all the credit in the world for teaming up with Axl and the boys to create a rock masterpiece.

20 years later, Axl still kills the song and is the best rock singer performing today.....and while the current band didn't create Estranged, they play and perform the hell out of it.

I really hope that Axl and Beta give the current guys a chance to show us what they can do with their own material.

I'm an Axl diehard fan, who gives Slash all the credit in the world for teaming up with Axl and the boys to create a rock masterpiece.

20 years later, Axl still kills the song and is the best rock singer performing today.....and while the current band didn't create Estranged, they play and perform the hell out of it.

I really hope that Axl and Beta give the current guys a chance to show us what they can do with their own material.

He simply killed it. The perfect combination between rasp and clean imo and that's how he should sing the song from now on.

His voice in 2012 was better than most think. He was great for the most part but (probably) saved his voice on a few songs. I really hope there's a good proshot of their Estranged performance on that show. Or that he keeps singing like that because it's simply awesome, fkn beautiful.

Better then the other performances from 2011 and 2012 I've heard. Still kinda loses it toward the end ("I'll never find anyone to replace you") but it's progress.

What do you think of Bucket's NR outro?

I love Buckethead, he did an awesome job with Nightrain but I don't like the way he overplays the outro in November Rain (same with Bumblefoot).

Some songs don't need 1000-notes-per-second playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTbf_kA_co

07:02

Tell me it isn't beautiful. :heart:

Edited by pi2loc

The best solo in November Rain is still the little one before "And when your fears subside..." Not one single GNR guitarist has ever played that solo correctly apart from Slash on the album take. Not one.

Slash didn't do it correctly live, Robin didn't even try to do it correctly live... I'm not sure what he was trying to do, DJ doesn't do it correctly live. They all overcook that high bend and sour the feeling of the solo, on the record it almost had a grace note before it, but none of them get the feeling the way it was on the album. Which I personally find a huge shame because it surely can't be that difficult...

The best solo in November Rain is still the little one before "And when your fears subside..." Not one single GNR guitarist has ever played that solo correctly apart from Slash on the album take. Not one.

Slash didn't do it correctly live, Robin didn't even try to do it correctly live... I'm not sure what he was trying to do, DJ doesn't do it correctly live. They all overcook that high bend and sour the feeling of the solo, on the record it almost had a grace note before it, but none of them get the feeling the way it was on the album. Which I personally find a huge shame because it surely can't be that difficult...

I'm having a hard time finding what you're saying. Care to elaborate?

I like the way DJ plays that solo and I'm not kidding. :xmasssanta:

I don't like you anymore. :popcorn:

Edited by pi2loc

I'm having a hard time finding what you're saying. Care to elaborate?

Sure, cause it really does get to me and I've tried to explain this on several occasions and I don't think anyone's really "got it".

The guitar solo which starts at 5:24 is my favourite part of the whole song, particularly the high bend at 5:36, which I think is just beautiful. I have never encountered a live performance of this song where that solo has sounded the way it does on the record and it's always that bend that none of the guitarists seem to be able to get correctly (discounting Robin who just made up his own screechy mess of a solo there).

Take that video as just one example, the solo starts at 6:07 and the bend in question's about 6:17... But it's out of tune for the majority of its duration and sounds sour rather than amazing. I'm just saying that I have never found a live rendition of this song where that solo has been played, and that bend has been pulled off as well as it was on the record. It's a tiny, minute, insignificant detail but it's also my favourite part of the song so it bothers me quite a lot more than it should.

Are we clear? :P

Aaaaaaw :bitchfight:

But seriously, DJ plays Slash's stuff note for note mostly, that's why he does a good/decent job. Thing is, he fucks up when he's usually looking at the crowd doing his generic moves. OK, he doesn't need to look at the crowd and wave at them to miss notes, but when he does that he fucks up more constantly. On this particular song he sticks to the album version, which is cool. Better than Robin's takes, to be honest.