The Richest Lead Singers in the World

Snowmass

So how does this article square the fact that a man supposedly worth $150 million is now a for-hire wedding singer? Why would a rock legend with that kind of net worth lower themselves to play weddings all of a sudden. Axl sold his publishing rights to the back catalogue and Chinese Democracy in 2006 for $19 million, so not what path you would take to evaluate his net worth at $150 million. Moreover, there were reports that there was a lean on his house a few years ago. Someone worth over $100 million doesn't have a lean on his primary residence. Finally, consider the lawsuits filed against him regarding his unwillingness to pay for a Bentley or two a few years ago.

I'm not saying that Axl doesn't have it made in the shade money wise, but there seems to be little evidence that his net worth is in the $150 million territory. My guess: $15-$30 million.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl to me doesn't seem like a guy that just blows money on alot of lavish items. Some items yes are high priced but even if he is only worth $30Million.

He lives in the same house he did back in 1992 or earlier. I bet that house is worth some big $$$'s

What we have heard he does spend on is art which is pricey but it is an investment which adds to net worth.

When he is on tour I think he spends a good amount of money but not breaking bank kind of spending.

As for the private shows, would you turn down $1 million dollars, and how do we know that Axl doesn't know these people that are paying for the private gigs????

I do think the finalizing of CD was a huge expense for him but to what existent?

If CD really did hurt him financially he would have promoted it.

There are just to many unknowns when you start talking about net worth.

This list has gotta be bullshit.

Bon Jovi has been selling out worldwide for 25+ years...to this day they sell out everywhere including the US and supposedly had the #2 tour behind U2 in recent years...

But the kicker is that Jon personally owns the whole Bon Jovi operation himself and it has been like that since day 1...so count me as skeptical about this list.

PS: If Axl was worth so much money then why did he sell his publishing rights 6 or so years ago for $20 million?....Seems like an odd move for somebody who is supposedly worth so much.

I don't think the list is accurate, but regarding Axl, it's hard to know how much he's worth. Big record sales, lots of touring, big time royalties because GNR is played on radio constantly and every sporting event etc. There's no doubt he's earned a lot. My question would be what kind of investments he made. With the cash he made by the early 90's, he could have invested and made a ton of money. The economy was generally doing great up until a few years ago, which would have brought him wonderful returns.

I believe that at a minimum, he was probably able to live off of the interest he earned from his bank account. To use an example, let's say by 1993 he had 20 million in the bank. At 5% a year, he'd be earning $1 million a year just in interest. Even living in expensive California, you could live off that comfortably as someone in his position.

I'm willing to bet Paul Stanley and/or Gene Simmons both have net worths over $10 million. Neither of them are on the list.

*edit* Nevermind you said Paul Stanley. I read that wrong on my phone.

I don't Gene qualifies for this list.

Also some posters mentioned the wedding stuff. A lot of performers are playing private shows now for money. Christina Aguilera, Rihanna and others gets millions for them. Elton John ( who is very well off ) played Rush Limbaugh's recent wedding, which shocked many people due to Rush's views on gay marriage. If you can get that kind of money from a small show, why not?

Edited by PTZ

Axl owns all the royalties I guess from Guns music as he owns the name, thet's probably where most of the money comes from.

Everybody gets their share of the money from royalties, not just Axl.

The list is very surprising to me. Scott Weiland at just 10 million and Gwen Stefani at just 80? With all the clothing, perfume etc type things people do these days, I would have imagined more specially if Trey Anastasio is at 75 million- mostly because I dont even know who Trey Anastasio is. :)

"***The figures contained in this list were acquired from all publicly available information including salaries, real estate holdings, divorces, record sales, royalties and endorsements. The final net worths come from a formula that takes out taxes, manager’s fees, agents’ fees, and lifestyle.***"

For those asking how they got these numbers.

Doesn't look like it's that accurate however - to the clowns screaming about the private gig, bands including Metallica, Tool, and Nirvana, in their history, did private gigs. Metallica for a beer company, Nirvana for some corporate gig, Tool (that story is kind of funny, band didn't seem to know who hired them), etc. It's not uncommon.

Axl owns all the royalties I guess from Guns music as he owns the name, thet's probably where most of the money comes from.

I don't believe that's the same thing.

Agreed, Axl may own the naming rights to Guns but everyone still gets royalties, I believe there was a story a few years back about him withholding royalties from Slash and Duff.

They figured McCartney's worth during the divorce, but it's safe to say he's a billionaire.

Bono - made some bad investments, and they'd have to figure out what they all got at the end of the 360 tour. The tour made over a billion dollars, but it was an expensive tour for them.

Elton John - spends a lot of money, in the 70s and 80s, he spent tons of cocaine. A lot of proceeds have gone towards the AIDS foundation,but "Gnomeo and Juliet" did very well for him as do most of the musicals he's taken part in. That's not even counting the Vegas shows, tours, and publishing, and there are a lot of cover songs .

Simmons isn't worth 300 mil, but he prob. is in the 9 figures. Buffett sells overpriced blenders, alcohol lines, does endless tours, and runs a restaurant chain. KISS has their coffeeshop and minigolf.

Prince makes some money in publishing and touring, but 250 mil sounds too high for him, he spent a lot of Warners era money on those movies no one will ever see. People do cover his songs a lot, but not a lot of merchandise buying.

Dave Grohl - prob. more.

David Bowie - he's retired, the reissues aren't really big sellers, he had those Bowie stocks years ago, but Iman's the breadwinner in the Jones' household.

Axl - debatable but could be accurate. Axl's prob. getting 25K per show and most of the money at the swag booth. The festivals and private gigs, he's seeing a 6 figure check for himself, but not sure how much headliners get at festivals.

Roger Waters - 4 times married, but can afford a Hamptons mansion, and Pink Floyd merch is never going to stop selling.

AC/DC - depends what Brian gets a cut of, it could be triple that or about that. He splurges on cars.

Bruce Dickenson - commercial pilot, so the band saves money on traveling, and for tax purposes, prob. gets a separate check when he does it.

Ozzy - WAY higher. She'd prob. be pissed off hearing the number being so low if you tell her "Axl's making twice as much as Ozzy". She prob. knows how much most of these people really make.

Bob Dylan? He has complete ownership of publishing, so he doesn't have to split it the way Mick and Keith or Paul and Yoko do. The tours have a lot of people in the band, but he's prob. making more than Axl on the road, because it's a no frills stage show, no pyros. Ticket prices are around the same. Record sales - hard to say, 50 years worth of music vs. 6 albums, and they get played about just as much on the radio.

Clapton - hard to say but I'd go with more. Same with Gwen.

The average is going to be around 10-20 million for a successful artist, and the ones who make more, you'd have to factor in other things that keep bringing money in.

Do you think Axl gets 25 000 for a show of about 20 000 people? Sounds very low, no?

Well, not necessarily, if 25,000 is what gets deposited in his bank account. Might be low, but who knows.

Not Black Frog Touring, or whatever company, which then pays the crew and the rest of the band after getting a check from the promoter (who gets a check after settling up with the venue).

-c

I don't believe that's the same thing.

Agreed, Axl may own the naming rights to Guns but everyone still gets royalties, I believe there was a story a few years back about him withholding royalties from Slash and Duff.

Wasn't that purely an administrative thing, and nothing to do with him? Something with regards to the label or management IIRC, and Axl sued the same people as Slash and Duff did?

There was the controversy as to whether Axl was taking up all licensing opportunities, which appears to have died down, but still involves Axl being in litigation with the Rock Band people.

Quite a few of those numbers seem wrong... I cant imagine gene simmons being that high, even though his life is basically a business. Maybe 1/5 of that but not 300mil. grohl's figure seems to be a little high too. Even with nirvana royalties and foo fighters ect.. I think ozzy seems to undervalued though, as does bob dylan and the guys from the who.

Do you think Axl gets 25 000 for a show of about 20 000 people? Sounds very low, no?

Some artists insist on a guaranteed amount to walk in, go on stage, and perform. Some bands get a guaranteed million dollars per venue before tickets are even sold. He makes up for it at the swag booth and if they're getting money at the concessions. He also winds up spending a lot of money putting on the shows.

Quite a few of those numbers seem wrong... I cant imagine gene simmons being that high, even though his life is basically a business. Maybe 1/5 of that but not 300mil. grohl's figure seems to be a little high too. Even with nirvana royalties and foo fighters ect.. I think ozzy seems to undervalued though, as does bob dylan and the guys from the who.

KISS and Simmons are basically a marketing machine - it doesn't surprise me at all.

But he's also not the lead singer, so go figure.

KISS and Simmons are basically a marketing machine - it doesn't surprise me at all.

But he's also not the lead singer, so go figure.

How is Paul Stanley worth 125 mil and Gene worth 300 mil when they're partners in KISS?

I think Gene is the one who pays more attention to the business end of it, but I always felt he was driven by fear of poverty.