Have you ever noticed?

GeetarMikey

Just a thing I noticed the other day - every classic GN'R song (Apart from Estranged) has the lyrics in the title EG; WTTJ, November Rain, YCBM, Shotgun Blues, Move to the City etc etc.

Chinese on the other hand has song titles like Scraped, Madagascar, Shackler's Revenge, This I Love and the title track itself. These are just titles for the songs and don't relate to the lyrics.

Just wondered if there was any reason for this? I'm not a big fan of giving songs titles that aren't in the lyrics personally.

Shotgun Blues is hardly a classic :lol:

On topic, I don't really think one is better than the other. Some songs it works to name the song after part if the lyrics, and others not.

fine.. its so easy, mr brownstone, nightrain, think about you, rocketqueen, every appetite song and every use your illusion song.

It is interesting and makes me wonder..WTF!!!!! :bitchfight:

I actually like it when the title of the songs doesn't necessarily have to be repeated over and over in the lyrics of the songs.

In my opinion it gives everything a deeper meaning. The title is a theme, and then you listen to the song and you get the story. It just tells me that the title has actually been thought through and has a deeper meaning.

It's a lot easier to sing baby baby baby fifteen times in the chorus and then just name the song "baby". It seems a bit boring and simple to me.

And for the record, "Better" is actually named like that.

Now I know you better

You know I know better

Now I know you better

Edited by Jeez

Maybe he couldn't get a good name from the lyrics

Chinese Democracy: Chinese stew, Precious time, It don't really matter? None of them seem to express what he wants the song to be about. If the song was one of those titles, it wouldn't come across as being about chinese democracy, or even china.

Shackler's Revenge: Funny Feeling, Something wrong, Itchy Finger, Dont ever try to tell me, I don't believe? None of them are really good titles.

Scraped: Don't try to stop us, I just refuse, Catastrophe, I just wont let you? None of them are good titles either.

This I love: Goodbye, In her eyes, Still have to try, With all the love, Can't Deny, Can't let it die, somewhere in side, Etc. This one idk, there's a lot of lyrics in the song that would make good titles.

Off the top of my head, is estranged really the only old-gnr song where the title isn't part of the lyrics/sung?

I think so....

Maybe he couldn't get a good name from the lyrics

Chinese Democracy: Chinese stew, Precious time, It don't really matter? None of them seem to express what he wants the song to be about. If the song was one of those titles, it wouldn't come across as being about chinese democracy, or even china.

Shackler's Revenge: Funny Feeling, Something wrong, Itchy Finger, Dont ever try to tell me, I don't believe? None of them are really good titles.

Scraped: Don't try to stop us, I just refuse, Catastrophe, I just wont let you? None of them are good titles either.

This I love: Goodbye, In her eyes, Still have to try, With all the love, Can't Deny, Can't let it die, somewhere in side, Etc. This one idk, there's a lot of lyrics in the song that would make good titles.

Well the title of the song is usually mentioned in the chorus.. Not the first verse..

Shackler for instance could have been named "I don't believe";

I don't believe there's a reason

(I don't believe it)

I don't believe it I don't believe there's a reason

(I should believe it)

I don't believe it

And "Street of Dreams" were previously named "The Blues" which is mentioned in the lyrics:

"It leaves a taste that's bittersweet

That's called the blues"

Off the top of my head, is estranged really the only old-gnr song where the title isn't part of the lyrics/sung?

Yes it is.

Edited by Jeez

Because hardly anything on ChiDem has a solid chorus or any line that is "catchy"... GNR got huge because they were great songwriters who wrote aggressive songs yet still had mass appeal because of the pop elements in them.. ChiDem does not anything that is remotely as appealing as AFD to UYI.

Because hardly anything on ChiDem has a solid chorus or any line that is "catchy"... GNR got huge because they were great songwriters who wrote aggressive songs yet still had mass appeal because of the pop elements in them.. ChiDem does not anything that is remotely as appealing as AFD to UYI.

Thanks for sharing this with us.