What direction do you want them to take?

OJones90

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Ideally for me, it would sound more like the Illusions. That would be a good mix of rock and alternative. I wouldn't want them trying to do do an AFD style album - it wouldn't be genuine.

Realistically (not talking about CD left overs), the next one will sound like CD I imagine? Can't see it changing too much.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally for me, it would sound more like the Illusions. That would be a good mix of rock and alternative. I wouldn't want them trying to do do an AFD style album - it wouldn't be genuine.

Realistically (not talking about CD left overs), the next one will sound like CD I imagine? Can't see it changing too much.

DJ said the next album's sound will be between Appetite and Chinese.

Yeah

But DJ always say what the reporter, promoter, nugnr fan want to hear

He is a liar

Why would I try to tell anyone how to alter their art to suit my taste? That makes art pointless.

No, not at all.

My co-worker is a musician who writes and records a lot of music. He shares songs that he is working on and asks for opinions. Then he tweaks (or doesn't) them accordingly.

You aren't really using the term art correctly.

Axl and 7 other guys aren't getting together and trying to create a piece of art, that only has to mean something to those eight guys.

They are trying to create music that they are proud of.......but that is also catchy and creative enough to make releasing the songs a viable commercial success.

Axl and DJ aren't creating art just to create art.

Why do you think demos rarely sound exactly like the finished version? Is shotgun blues a piece of Axl's inner soul?

The best decision for this band at this time is to release music that sounds similar to Blood in the Water.

This is where music is going and where this band needs to go to succeed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAvnoOHqZM

hell no

The music is pure shit and dated (not only now, in the past decade)

I mean dated in a pop/electro way

This is where music is going and where this band needs to go to succeed!!

yeah, under the GNR moniker :rolleyes:

seriously? are you a stupid cupcake or wtf?

Edited by Crash Diet

AxlRose14 was joking, at least that's what i thought when i read his post anyway, not sure though tbh :P

Sweet, when/where did he say that?

Something with some balls, some catchiness and some rawness to it. Maybe a "joke" track or two (e.g. "Used To Love Her") that would showcase Axl's epic sense of humor.

Whatever the case- no more of the "wounded puppy/Stephanie and Slash fucked me over" routine. That shit is 15-20 years ago now. Time to move on. Let's hear something from today's band that's relevant to today. Dump out the CD left-overs on a box set or as fan club downloads or something- but press forward with the current line-up with some urgency and sense of purpose...

This

Why would I try to tell anyone how to alter their art to suit my taste? That makes art pointless.

No, not at all.

My co-worker is a musician who writes and records a lot of music. He shares songs that he is working on and asks for opinions. Then he tweaks (or doesn't) them accordingly.

Axl and 7 other guys aren't getting together and trying to create a piece of art, that only has to mean something to those eight guys.

They are trying to create music that they are proud of.......but that is also catchy and creative enough to make releasing the songs a viable commercial success.

Why do you think demos rarely sound exactly like the finished version? Is shotgun blues a piece of Axl's inner soul?

I'm a musician too (though I don't make a living out of it) and if someone tried to tell me what I should do I'd do my best to make sure that person never gets to hear anything I create again.

And I am unsure whether Axl has the drive to be on top of the world (musically speaking) again, so I don't think he would like to be told what to play neither.

Therefore, why would I try to tell him what to do if I don't like that happening to anyone and he probably doesn't neither.

Giving ideas is one thing (if the artist wants it), but shoving the ideas down other people's throats is a really low move, especially in art.

AxlRose14 was joking, at least that's what i thought when i read his post anyway, not sure though tbh :P

Sweet, when/where did he say that?

I was joking. I am seriously curious about the blood in the water leak though..

No, not at all.

I'm a musician too (though I don't make a living out of it) and if someone tried to tell me what I should do I'd do my best to make sure that person never gets to hear anything I create again.

And I am unsure whether Axl has the drive to be on top of the world (musically speaking) again, so I don't think he would like to be told what to play neither.

Therefore, why would I try to tell him what to do if I don't like that happening to anyone and he probably doesn't neither.

Giving ideas is one thing (if the artist wants it), but shoving the ideas down other people's throats is a really low move, especially in art.

How is posting on a forum what you would like to hear from your favorite band shoving ideas down GnR's throats?

To each his own.

I write.....and love to let people read my stuff and tell me what they like and don't like, or what they think works or doesn't work. But some of the people in my group rarely will share their work.

I guess we all create our "art" for different reasons.

As for Axl.......I would love to see him focus on his rock n roll singing career for a year and not so much working on his "art." Jungle, Crazy, YCBM, Better, night train, Coma....just good old fashion rock n roll music.

I don't think he'd write songs like those you mentioned alone... not at all. Most songs that he wrote by himself were the piano ballads. Even on CD, the only song credited solely to him is a piano ballad - not to mention Prostitute, SOD, Catcher, etc. The heavier stuff came from other band members I'd say: Shackler's - Bucket and Brain; Scraped - Bucket; Better - Robin; I.R.S. - Paul; and Riad was probably Tommy... Axl probably added his Immigrant Song-like screams to the choruses and Tommy came with the rhythm, and then Robin and Bucket added the heavy guitars, etc.

No, not at all.

Okay....so what do these posts have anything to do with what's being discussed in this thread? Bit random to bring that stuff up.

Make some actual rock instead of using 39 layers of heaven knows what on top of eachother. Throw out the HUGE overproduction and make music that could just as well be recorded in 1 take on 1 track with a bunch of guys in a room.

I'm fairly OK with the more industrial sound Axl tried, but just don't overdo it in the production room.

Play rock and roll. Don't do the pre-programmed electronic crap either.

Blood In The Water sounds horrible. Especially the cut-off Axl scream at the start.

Edited by username

As far as remaining a cover band (with reuniting off the table), I'd like them to do this.

Axl:

Get in shape, fix his voice.

DJ:

Gone

Bumblefoot:

Gone (he's too good for this)

Fortus:

Fix his tone and upgrade to lead player

Tommy:

meh

Frank:

Gone, replace with someone decent.

Dizzy:

Keep him around.

Pitman:

Gone. Love him, but he has no place in the AFD cover band.

If possible, get Izzy and Duff back full-time for rhythm and bass. If not, get someone who plays like Izzy to replace Fortus (who upgrades to lead) on rhythm and just keep Tommy where he is.

i agree

No, not at all.

When has GNR ever been "have it your way"? Part of his job as frontman is to pick out songs he feels comfortable with or wants to be challenged by him, and he'd say some of the songs he's done have kicked his ass from time to time ,and wished he didn't have to them some nights. How fun can it be to do any of the Appetite songs every single night and not show boredom when you're doing them? They all get bored with it, but the pacing of a GNR tour allows band members to do what they want. Axl prob. entertains himself with songwriting at this point, and not ready to share it with the rest of us just yet, if ever.

Business has to come into it, because the band doesn't work "for the art", if they're going to play arenas, they're not doing it "for the art". That's like saying Beatles tours in 64-66 were "for the art", or Hendrix, who was being forced to tour. Tours are grueling experiences for anyone because all sorts of factors can come into it, people get sick and injured on the road all the time, but unless they're hospitalized, they have to suck it up night after night, because if you have to have someone do your work, you're letting everyone down around you. They have to employ people, so some of it's fuck all to do with art.

I want to witness the full extent and scope of Axl's visions and dreams. I want it to be the final and grand testament to what was the original, crazy comic-booky vision and sound of the new guns and roses, no compromises. I want it to be a double if not a triple album containing all the most extreme finished songs and crazy jams and even unfinished material on a bonus disc.

the next,third album of the nu-guns if you will, could then comfortably be all about bumble and ashba written stuff, which I would predict would sound cool on its own strength.

Oh yeah and I want to hear a Fortus written track!

Ooooh!...let's see!

I want songs about drinking cheap wine, aaaaand songs about living on the dangerous streets, aaaaand I want Axl to fuck a whore on the studio floor and make a song about it.

They need to explore the whole streetscene gutter-rat angle, take things in new directions, expand, grow, challenge themselves artistically.