About Auto Tune. Do you think Axl did on shows?

Lucky girl

http://veja.abril.com.br/noticia/celebridades/auto-tune-a-%E2%80%98voz%E2%80%99-da-geracao-2000

First sorry for my grammar english mistake. I hope you guys understand me.

I read an article by Brazilian´s magazine call "Autotune the voice of 2000's generation". Even you can't read you can see the compilation of videos that show differences between studio and live performance. Videos by Miley Cyrus, Gaga, Rihana, Bieber, Ke$sa

I love Axl but i´d like to know (just curios) if he did Auto tune ?

Edited by Lucky girl

In a live setting I don't think he has. However he has used backing tracks at least when they started doing new CD songs in 09/10 like with Shacklers.

I also am pretty sure that at least for some shows he uses a slight echo on his voice - he certainty did when I saw him at the LA Forum show

In a live setting I don't think he has. However he has used backing tracks at least when they started doing new CD songs in 09/10 like with Shacklers.

I also am pretty sure that at least for some shows he uses a slight echo on his voice - he certainty did when I saw him at the LA Forum show

Correct. Many of the Chinese songs had backing tracks during 2009/2010. Most have been dropped now as far as I can tell in bootlegs. At the very least, they're much lower in the mix.

It's worth pointing out that there is a huge difference between backing tracks and lip syncing before people get going on that debate again. The backing tracks were to cover the layers of vocal harmonies that Axl did with himself on the album. His principle vocal track would be sung live, whereas the backing vocals would be on tape. They have more than enough singers in the band to cover them, but I guess Axl wanted to make it close to the album. Who knows.

Echo/delays are used commonly on certain parts. The big scream in Jungle for example. Makes it sound huge. Other than, I don't recall Axl using any live vocal effects.

In this Day and Age it's actually pretty standard to have at least a bit of pitch correction on vocals, if only to keep it close. A few years back American Idol got in a fake little controversy for autotuning contestants, the pitch correction was too high when a contestant was doing an obnoxious vibrato and you could hear the notes individually as opposed to gradually changing. They apologized, but never really stopped.

As for Axl himself, I'm not sure. I remember someone posting a live video asking about this, and it was pretty convincing. He might, wouldn't be surprised if he did, but from the amount of off key fuck ups he has I doubt it.

In this Day and Age it's actually pretty standard to have at least a bit of pitch correction on vocals, if only to keep it close. A few years back American Idol got in a fake little controversy for autotuning contestants, the pitch correction was too high when a contestant was doing an obnoxious vibrato and you could hear the notes individually as opposed to gradually changing. They apologized, but never really stopped.

As for Axl himself, I'm not sure. I remember someone posting a live video asking about this, and it was pretty convincing. He might, wouldn't be surprised if he did, but from the amount of off key fuck ups he has I doubt it.

You're not sure.... You think he might... You wouldn't be surprised if he did.... But you doubt it.

Thanks for clearing that up for us pal! :thumbsup:

Correct. Many of the Chinese songs had backing tracks during 2009/2010. Most have been dropped now as far as I can tell in bootlegs. At the very least, they're much lower in the mix.

It's worth pointing out that there is a huge difference between backing tracks and lip syncing before people get going on that debate again. The backing tracks were to cover the layers of vocal harmonies that Axl did with himself on the album. His principle vocal track would be sung live, whereas the backing vocals would be on tape. They have more than enough singers in the band to cover them, but I guess Axl wanted to make it close to the album. Who knows.

Echo/delays are used commonly on certain parts. The big scream in Jungle for example. Makes it sound huge. Other than, I don't recall Axl using any live vocal effects.

Yup, great post.

Wait a minute, the jungle scream isn't completely natural??

He used to do 30 second intro scream in 06 now he does 10 seconds and now ur saying its delayed so its more epic?

Not quite. It's a very slight delay. You'll notice when he pulls the microphone away from his mouth the scream will "ring out" for about a second more. Overall it makes the scream sound bigger because the slight delay basically adds a second scream (in a sense) on top of the original in real time. It's not uncommon for singers to use it. It's more for show than anything. Jungle, again, is the best example. Both the intro scream and the later "You're gonna die!" scream.

FFS why are people trying to justify the use of autotune? It's for kareoke singers on kids tv shows like x factor and pop idol.

Of course there's regular of delay and reverb/chorus (as is used on pretty much all live vocals in rock bands) but I've never heard anything which sounded autotuned. If Axl was genuinely struggling on certain tunes then all they'd need to do is transpose them down a step or 2 to accomodate it.

Admittedly I haven't seen Guns since 2006 but going by the live footage I've seen his voice sounds pretty natural when hitting notes. If he was having to use autotune live then it would be a bit sad. I know they're totally different styles of singers but when you look at someone like Bruce Dickinson (who's a good few years older) that can still hit all the notes he used to (and actually some now that he couldn't do live in the 80s!) and is very consistent it would make using electronic aids to hit notes seem a bit pathetic.

FFS why are people trying to justify the use of autotune? It's for kareoke singers on kids tv shows like x factor and pop idol.

Of course there's regular of delay and reverb/chorus (as is used on pretty much all live vocals in rock bands) but I've never heard anything which sounded autotuned. If Axl was genuinely struggling on certain tunes then all they'd need to do is transpose them down a step or 2 to accomodate it.

Admittedly I haven't seen Guns since 2006 but going by the live footage I've seen his voice sounds pretty natural when hitting notes. If he was having to use autotune live then it would be a bit sad. I know they're totally different styles of singers but when you look at someone like Bruce Dickinson (who's a good few years older) that can still hit all the notes he used to (and actually some now that he couldn't do live in the 80s!) and is very consistent it would make using electronic aids to hit notes seem a bit pathetic.

this

i doubt axl uses auto tuner if he used it in 2012 it was fucking broken