What direction would you have had Gn'R go?

Screamin' Demon

Obviously we are all different on the matter so I will state my own preferencer. However relevant of its time, I will always consider Appetite For Destruction a prototype rock album. The Use Your Illusions did in fact present a handful of songs which showed evolution (Right Next Door To Hell, Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive, The Garden, You Could Be Mine, Coma), however the relevance of that handful was drowned out not only by overproduction but by the overabundance of ballads and other songs which would have been more appropriate as solo songs by their respected writers. Having considered Matt's faster and more technical drumming in comparison to Steven's, this was in my opinion at least, one of the key strengths in the prospect of future material. Had it been up to me, I would have liked to see Gn'R take a more Motorheadesque direction, writing for the most part fast, angry and raw songs, which I believe Gn'R was most renowned for.

End the UYI tour a year earlier. Yes, 1993 was arguably the best year of the tour, but the strain of a 3 year tour probably contributed vastly to the breakup. After the tour, try and pull out all stops to get Izzy back on board, even if only in writing capacity.

Do not release TSI.

Izzy back on board or not, try to record an album that has a bit more edge than the UYIs, but isn't as simplistic as AFD. There needs to be a dueling guitar sound between Slash and Izzy/Gilby. This wasn't present on the UYIs and is the main reason I consider them inferior to AFD. If Gilby can't make it work, get someone else.

Edited by bacardimayne

Obviously we are all different on the matter so I will state my own preferencer. However relevant of its time, I will always consider Appetite For Destruction a prototype rock album. The Use Your Illusions did in fact present a handful of songs which showed evolution (Right Next Door To Hell, Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive, The Garden, You Could Be Mine, Coma), however the relevance of that handful was drowned out not only by overproduction but by the overabundance of ballads and other songs which would have been more appropriate as solo songs by their respected writers. Having considered Matt's faster and more technical drumming in comparison to Steven's, this was in my opinion at least, one of the key strengths in the prospect of future material. Had it been up to me, I would have liked to see Gn'R take a more Motorheadesque direction, writing for the most part fast, angry and raw songs, which I believe Gn'R was most renowned for.

these things are pretty simple and they entirely depend on what you liked most about guns. if it's what you said it's what you said but if one liked the types of NOvember Rain etc the most one's likely to disagree with you. I for one believe there can be only so many AFD type songs that can be in that same range of quality. the proof for that is that even AFD failed to have 12 undeniably top clas songs (as only 6-7 enters that group). so by that logic, if AFD as the prototype of rock failed at perfection i don't think there's reason to believe any other album can come close. The only song that comes close is YCBM, all the others are conspicuously unAFD songs. I for one think that November Rain is the best song ever created by any artist within the realm of popular music and I like a good deal of CD songs. However, I think the directiion itself is immaterial as good quality music is called as such regardles of the genre (although some genres offer more room for quality to expand