Old Movies

Dariablue

Guest Len B'stard

Double Indemnity - cuz it's sexy and suspenseful and well constructed

A Streetcar Named Desire - cuz it's one the best movies ever made, perfectly acted by each character, it's tense, it's stuffy, there's about 3 or 4 little interesting sub-stories going on in the characters backgrounds and it's just this brilliant little character piece, it really is one of the most engrossing movies i ever saw.

Edited by sugaraylen

I would recommend Seven Samurai but it would be better if you tell us what you are into.

Seven Samurai

Notorious

Citizen Kane

The Philadelphia Story

On the Waterfront

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Hamlet (1948)

White Heat

Scarface (1931)

M

Rebecca (highly recommended)

Dracula (1931)

Frankenstein (1931)

Guest Len B'stard

Stuff I think you might like - The Women, Rear Window, The Philidelphia Story, Leave Her to Heaven.

As soon as someone mentions films you seem to appear out of nowhere :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

12 Angry Men - because it's both supremely intelligent and emotional, perfectly written and the best ensemble acting I've seen in a movie and

High Noon - because it's the best proof that there is more to the Western genre than the Rule of Cool.

Did you ever check out The Culpepper Cattle Co? :)

Guest Len B'stard

12 Angry Men, The Women, and .rear Window were great.

I'm a Paul Newman fan. Loved Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. His best were in the 60s though: Hud, The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke.

Round of applause for the bird that likes Hud, fuckin' hell, respect respect respect. And The Hustler too, fuck me, what a film "fast and loose" B)

The Misfits - It's a dark, well written film (written by Arthur Miller). It's the last film to star Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe; both died not long after.

The Gunfighter - A great, well written western with a message, not simply guns and shooting. A truly well written and underrated film.

Dial M for Murder - Dark, chilling, thrilling.

The Wild One - It's a great film to see Brando at the peak of his career, to see early Rock/Greaser culture and the way society viewed it at the time.

Teacher's Pet - Another great Gable film, a romantic comedy co-starring Doris Day and Mamie Van Doren

The Maltese Falcon - A classic noir film starring Humphrey Bogart, one of his finest films and one of the classics of the genre

Manhattan Melodrama - A classic crime drama, the film John Dillinger watched just before he was murdered

The Lost Horizon - An epic film with a deep message. Man's search for Utopia in a world on the verge of WWII.

Blackboard Jungle - A look at the "epidemic" of juvenile deliquency in the 50s and the moral panic around it; a great film

The Mark of Zorro (1940 version) - One of the best swashbuckling adventure films ever; possibly the best Zorro film.

Rebel Without a Cause - Hello, it's James Dean. Watch it.

2,000,000 Miles to Earth - Awesome 50s Sci Fi

Earth vs. The Flying Saucers - Awesome 50s Sci Fi and an awesome look at 50s special effects technology. Sort of like the Independence Day of the 50s.

Forbidden Planet - An awesome space adventure film, in the same vein as the first Star Wars film.

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad - A mythology based epic film, a great adventure again using awesome 50s stop motion.

Metropolis- One of the best, deepest science fiction films ever--and from the 1920s.

The Public Enemy/Little Caesar - The classic gangster films, the two films that defined the genre.

City Lights - A Charlie Chaplin romantic comedy. One of the most moving yet funny films you'll ever see.

Gone with the Wind - A classic that doesn't need explanation.

Edited by Vincent Vega

I've never been particularly fond of old movies, but I've recently decided to give them another try. For those into old movies, give me two suggestions of what to watch and why I should bother.

and why I should bother.

:) I like people who can read and follow directions the best.

the blue angel (1930), directed by josef von sternberg. this movie presents the tragic transformation of a man from a respectable professor to a cabaret clown, and his descent into madness. the film brought marlene dietrich international fame.

little caesar (1931), one of the great gangster movies with edward g. robinson, based on w.r. burnett's novel.

North by Northwest. With Cary Grant and Eve Marie Saint. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

Intriguing storyline, great cast, beautiful cinematography, iconic scenes, and oh so stylish to look at. A masterpiece! :)

Rear Window. With Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

The whole film occurs within the confines of a NY apartment building yet there is so much of interest going on that you don't notice it at all. There is a real sense of voyeurism throughout, which I've never encountered in another film before. Great characters and again, oh so stylish to look at. Another masterpiece.

I :heart: ALFRED.

rancho notorious (1952), one of the best westerns ever made, directed by Fritz Lang and starring Marlene Dietrich as the matron of a criminal hideout. the film was originally titled The Legend of Chuck-a-Luck, but the name was changed at the insistence of Howard Hughes, then head of RKO Pictures.

johnny guitar (1954). In 2008, Johnny Guitar was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Edited by Roky

Two awesome movies :

· Joy House : starring Alain Delon, Jane Fonda and Lola Albright. This mystery/thriller features a criminal (Delon) on the run from both police and killers hired by the husband of a woman with whom he had an affair. He is taken in by two women (Fonda and Albright) who hold him in a mansion on the french Riviera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_House_(film)

· Purple Noon : it is a 1960 film directed by René Clément, based on the book The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. The film stars Alain Delon in his first major film. Romy Schneider appears briefly in an uncredited role as Freddie Miles' companion. It's as good as the best Hitchcock's movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Noon

Edited by Mao5

The IMDB Top 250 is a good place to start. These are the movies in the top 100 that came out in or before 1959:

06. 12 Angry Men

17. Seven Samurai

23. Casablanca

29. Rear Window

31. It's a Wonderful Life

33. Sunset Blvd.

40. North by Northwest

42. City Lights

44. Citizen Kane

46. Modern Times

49. Vertigo

54. M