I met and saw Slash today in Detroit

ZoSoRose

Thought I would share my experience tonight.

Tonight was my fourth time seeing Slash. The previous times were opening for Ozzy in 2011, the Hall of Fame, in Grand Rapids in May, and today. I love the new band, old band, fuck all and Slash is up there firmly as my favorite musician with Axl and Jimmy Page. I was psyched to be weaseled into the meet and greet VIP thing before the show at the Fillmore in Detroit today. I was really surprised to see so many people did it. I know Slash is huge and all but it was 500 dollars. Oh well, cool for Slash lol. We were led into the venue and lined up in the lobby. Me and my buddy were the last ones in line. Slash came out and shook everyones hands and each person got a few seconds with him for autographs and pictures and stuff. We were the last ones so it seemed we had a bit more time. I had him sign a copy of Use Your Illusion I and we talked for a few minutes. He was actually really nice and it was a really great experience as I got to meet one of my favorite musicians on earth and someone who has made such an impact on my life. Worth 500? Fuck no in my opinion as you literally get a hand shake and picture. No Q and A or anything like that. But I didn't pay for it so I have no complaints haha.

The show itself was awesome. We were second row on Slash's side and they kicked ass. A lot different from the show in Grand Rapids only a few months ago. The set is much better and has all the best tracks from the new record with other songs like Civil War sprinkled in. Myles and Todd sounded great and the whole band was really into it. Slash himself provided me to two hours of the best guitar playing I have ever seen. Seeing him play that amazing so close was really, really cool. His tone and playing was better than I have ever heard him. Lots of jamming to.

Foxy Shazam opened and they're one of my favorite new bands so that made the show even better. They were nuts as usual.

So yeah, bottom line is I got to meet Slash (funny enough it was the same venue I met Bumblefoot at last year) and he was awesome and see a great show. DO NOT miss this band, especially on this tour right now. They are just too good. Even you, volcano, will enjoy it (at least some of it).

Edited by ZoSoRose

Awesome man! I was 3-4 rows back from where Myles was pretty much, such a great show, wish they played Carolina or Crazy Life but other than that you couldn't ask for a better setlist. Really loved the Shine on you Crazy Diamond solo jam, that was fucking amazing!

Foxy Shazam was great too, I've always thought they were pretty cool but was never that into them, I think I'm a fan after tonight.

First band... :thumbsdown:

Glad you had a great time, everybody I know who has seen him on this tour has been extremely satisfied with the show. I'm really hoping he comes back to New England next year, or Florida when I am down there :)

$500 for a few seconds with Slash? Wow, that really is steep. For that price you should get at least 5 minutes with the man.

Obviously $500 sounds ridiculous (that includes the ticket though, right?) and it is high, but him being one of your favorite musicians ever and you getting to hang with him, autographs,etc for a little bit....20 years on $500 is nothing, but you'll always remember meeting him. That's worth it imo.

Did people buy the package with the guitar? I wonder if that's done to help stop pickguard Ebayers. You take into account guaranteed good seats and the overall experience. Some VIP packages are better than others, some of them include sound check which can be worth it. Whatever it takes to help pay for tour costs, if a few people have the money to shell out for it, fine, but if he's still signing stuff for fans outside, they know that's going to be hit and miss. He's signed thousands of things for free over the years, and if the records aren't selling and people aren't legally downloading, he's got to peddle his wares and if it means people pay extra for interaction, so be it. But when he sees a kid with a guitar, if that kid can play for him, should sign it without question.

Really? Few seconds? Fuck Slash man, I wouldn't pay $500 for that. At least 20 minutes or so. :shrugs:

On a side note, I'm glad you had a blast! :thumbsup:

Well that's the thing...nobody is forced to do anything. If you want the guarantee to meet him and you got the cash, you've got a full proof avenue.

Picture or it didn't happen :lol: Just kidding.

Great you got to meet him, did he say anything interesting or was it just small talk? What do you do with your record during the concert-I often wonder when I see them being signed in photos how they don't get broken during the concert.

How come you didn't pay, were you just herded in with the rest so went with the flow?

Haven't seen your photo with Ashba yet, if it's on here can you provide a link please? Thx & well done. rock4

Saw Him in Dallas few weeks ago. I was also impressed with Foxy Shazam. I've never been so impressed with a band I've never heard of.

I considered spending the cash to meet Slash. I didn't think it was worth 500 to get 60 seconds with him. Getting right up front and watching

Slash was good enough for me. It was an great show. He played every hit he had. Slash played You're Crazy (AFD version) I loved every moment

of it and my ticket was 43 bucks.

ah man, we saw him and his band in portland. it was great and the tickets were reasonably priced. i don't know about the $500 vip package and all. i guess if you got the money, why not?

we would definately go again if we get the opportunity. the venues are small so you can get up close and check out the show anyhow.

Yeah if you want to meet one of your big heroes and you have the money, than I think it's totally cool for you to spend the cash. I'm just glad I didn't have to lol. And I'll post the pic when I get it. They took it there with a professional camera and then email to you at a later date in the near future.

And as sad as it seems, Slash charging 500 to meet him is actually a great deal when you compare it to other bands. Some charge like 1000for a seat in the first 20 rows and a buffet or something and you don't even meet anyone. Or bands like Aerosmith or KISS where it's 1000+ for a hand shake. But as I said, if you have the money the memory lasts a life time. It will for me and that wouldn't change if I payed or not.

It does seem like it is easy to meet Slash for free though. I talked to someone who works for him, and he really does go out of his way to meet and sign things for fans that wait for him.

Ok lol. My friend knows someone who is friends with someone who works with Slash. He got us into the meet and greet this time. Last time in Grand Rapids he got us VIP seats (they were balcony seats) but Slash didn't feel up to meeting everyone after the show so the guy got us autographs. I'm really, really grateful the meet and greet happened this time lol

nice. time to add that one to your signature.

anyhow, did you get to meet myles and the rest of the band?

did you get all the other vip goddie package? shirt, album, poster kinds of stuff?

i actually did not get to meet the rest of the guys (did high five myles at the show though lol) and i did not get all the extra goodies. it was just a red bag with what looked like a small poster, pick case, and some other stuff. it would have been cool but im not bummed i didnt get one lol.

And I'll post the pic when I get it. They took it there with a professional camera and then email to you at a later date in the near future.

Interesting, I wonder if they do that to make Slash look his best in the pictures. So do they not allow you to take additional pictures with your own camera or phone?

not sure, but i did hear that at the show we went to folks waited after the show for him for an hour or so and he signed autographs, everyone was told no pictures or he leaves.

And I'll post the pic when I get it. They took it there with a professional camera and then email to you at a later date in the near future.

Interesting, I wonder if they do that to make Slash look his best in the pictures. So do they not allow you to take additional pictures with your own camera or phone?

not sure, but i did hear that at the show we went to folks waited after the show for him for an hour or so and he signed autographs, everyone was told no pictures or he leaves.

i have no idea, i didnt try taking pics. and im pretty sure they say no pics after the show so people dont ask and the time goes by faster since there can be tons of people.

Yeah, I bet that's it ... he probably doesn't want bad pictures of him circulating out there. It's understandable, I'd probably do the same thing.

Maybe the flash that goes off gets really annoying. He's posed with fans before,but if 20-30 people are at a M&G, it's prob. annoying as hell.