Color Me Obsessed: A Film About the Replacements

auad

color-me-obsessed-e1348148658418.jpeg

Considered one of the most influential bands in alternative rock, The Replacements stood out by blending punk rock with classic rock and pop rock, without shame and with great quality. Founded in 1979 and with the talented leader Paul Westerberg, this Minneapolis quartet impacted the scene and delighted rock fans in general to the end of the group in 1992.

The proof of this is the launch of Color Me Obsessed: A Film About the Replacements. Directed by Gorman Bechard, the list of influential fans who talk about the group in this documentary is long. Musicians from bands like Husker Du, Babes in Toyland, The Decemberists, The Hold Steady, Archers of Loaf, Titus Andronicus, and Goo Goo Dolls, writers Jack Rabid, Legs McNeil, Robert Christgau, Greg Kot and Jim DeRegotis, and actors George Wendt, Tom Arnold, and Dave Foley are some of the personalities who talk about the importance of the Replacements.

http://www.whatwerewethinkingfilms.com/colormeobsessed/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Fuck every single one of you fuckin cunts if you dont like The Replacements, go fuck yourselves, wankers, no one cares? Well here's one for the care list, one of the greatest bands of all time, i been stalking this docu for fuckin months and months and months, it's meant to be amazingly original and shit, done in some funky way, through other peoples eyes or fuck knows what, which rather makes it sound like it's some kind of like, straight to video thing but apparently its fucking incredible, i have been waiting SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucking long for this, whens the fuckin release date?!?!

I've tried torrents, i've tried bootlegs, just anything to get a glimpse of this, it was premiered like over a year ago now i believe in some film festival in Florida. God i wanna see this fuckin' thing, so is it coming out or what?

BTW, Tommys first band was ooooh, about 50 million times more important and better and more hardcore and more thought provoking and fuckin' intense than Guns n Roses have been since Lies, Replacements are the better band, flat out.

Slagging off the fuckin' Mats, honestly, who the fuck are you people anyway?

Maybe not here, and that's nothing to be proud of.

Hello, Replacements fanatic here! Amazing band and one of the most important bands of a certain period in America, certainly one of the top 3 to come out of America out of the entire 80s, honestly, makes me wonder what the fuck i'm doing here that people on appreciate class like The Replacements around here.

Then again, i'm sort of glad, who wants a punch of poodle haircut admiring no mark 80s fuckin' glam cock metal bollocks fans for The Mats anyway, they're above that, always were :)

Edited by sugaraylen

The Replacements were a fucking kickass band their fusion of Punk and Classic Rock was unique great band apples and oranges here Mats and GNR can`t be compared with each other different bands with different sound

Tommy is ten times bassist then Duff ever was and ever will be nothing against Duff

Does this film document the period when their bass player became a hack and began covering another band's sons. Zero respect for Stinson I am afraid.

If this band are so much better than GNR, a cheesy glam band, it poses the question: why is the Replacements bass player currently playing that cheesy glam band's debut album to half-empty arenas alongside DJ Ashba. Stinson can fuck off as far as I am concerned.

Guest Len B'stard
Does this film document the period when their bass player became a hack and began covering another band's sons. Zero respect for Stinson I am afraid.

By that rationale anybody that joins a pre-existing band with prior matierial is hack.

If this band are so much better than GNR, a cheesy glam band, it poses the question: why is the Replacements bass player currently playing that cheesy glam band's debut album to half-empty arenas alongside DJ Ashba.

Because if you're lucky enough as an artist, you'll find yourself in a band like The Replacements once in your fuckin' life, that don't mean that your every band after have got to be of comparable quality or better, thats just illogical, which better than The Beatles band did John or George or Ringo or Paul join after The Beatles? Or Keith when The Stones split, that isn't a question, the answer is obvious, very few get a shot at greatness, fewer still get two shots. It takes a special kind of genius to found one legendary band after another *cough cough* John Lydon. And who said GnR are a cheesy glam band?

Tommy was 13 years old when he joined The Replacements and he came up the hard way, doing proper roadwork, serious underground shit, he worked his fuckin' guts out for a pittance day after day after week after year, chasing this fuckin' dream and keeping it consistent, he lost his brother Bob Stinson to that dream, NOBODY has the right to pass judgement on how that man chooses to earn his living. Hack? Tommy couldn't be further from that if he tried. For all the kudos and fanbases and underground respect The Mats never made a fuckin' penny for all their hardwork, i don't begrudge Tommy a living in his middle aged years, he's put it work and earned his stripes and shown everyone what he's all about, if he'd've just been out to use his underground cred' to join a big band and ride it's coattails he could've done it long before Guns came up, Jesus, right after The Mats he was with Bash & Pop for crying out loud.

How about you DieselDaisy, if you don't mind me asking, where do you come from, where do you live, what do you do for a living?

Edited by sugaraylen

By that rationale anybody that joins a pre-existing band with prior matierial is hack.

If this band are so much better than GNR, a cheesy glam band, it poses the question: why is the Replacements bass player currently playing that cheesy glam band's debut album to half-empty arenas alongside DJ Ashba.

Because if you're lucky enough as an artist, you'll find yourself in a band like The Replacements once in your fuckin' life, that don't mean that your every band after have got to be of comparable quality or better, thats just illogical, which better than The Beatles band did John or George or Ringo or Paul join after The Beatles? Or Keith when The Stones split, that isn't a question, the answer is obvious, very few get a shot at greatness, fewer still get two shots. It takes a special kind of genius to found one legendary band after another *cough cough* John Lydon. And who said GnR are a cheesy glam band?

Tommy was 13 years old when he joined The Replacements and he came up the hard way, doing proper roadwork, serious underground shit, he worked his fuckin' guts out for a pittance day after day after week after year, chasing this fuckin' dream and keeping it consistent, he lost his brother Bob Stinson to that dream, NOBODY has the right to pass judgement on how that man chooses to earn his living. Hack? Tommy couldn't be further from that if he tried. For all the kudos and fanbases and underground respect The Mats never made a fuckin' penny for all their hardwork, i don't begrudge Tommy a living in his middle aged years, he's put it work and earned his stripes and shown everyone what he's all about, if he'd've just been out to use his underground cred' to join a big band and ride it's coattails he could've done it long before Guns came up, Jesus, right after The Mats he was with Bash & Pop for crying out loud.

You fuckin' tell 'em Lenny. :thumbsup:

Guest Len B'stard

*sits on the floor cross-legged and claps along to the rhythm* :D Despite being a jokey song, you can hear something of the despair of the underground bands predicament in Westerbergs voice, i think it's one of the most powerful pieces of music i ever heard

"label wants a hit but we don't give a shit!" Yeeeaahh :D

Edited by sugaraylen

John, Paul, George and Ringo didn't, post-Beatles, join a cabaret Vegas act. They continued to put out 'original' material, regardless of anyone's opinion on the quality. They continued to have critical (All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono and Imagine) and commercial (Band on the Run) acclaim. For the Beatles to be analogous with Stinson and the other hacks, they would have had to have joined Tony Bennett's backing group.

In contrast Stinson is a leech of other men's material (GN'R 1987-91) and another musician's bass lines (Duff). There is really no comparison.

Guest Len B'stard

John, Paul, George and Ringo didn't, post-Beatles, join a cabaret Vegas act. They continued to put out 'original' material, regardless of anyone's opinion on the quality. They continued to have critical (All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono and Imagine) and commercial (Band on the Run) acclaim. For the Beatles to be analogous with Stinson and the other hacks, they would have had to have joined Tony Bennett's backing group.

In contrast Stinson is a leech of other men's material (GN'R 1987-91) and another musician's bass lines (Duff). There is really no comparison.

I'm sorry but you talk out of your fuckin' arse :lol: Is Chinese Democracy not original matierial? The aspect that i was claiming to be analagous was the notion of reaching the same heights as The Beatles, which none of their solo projects did, thats just a fact.

And i'm sorry, just because you play songs someone else wrote does not mean you are committing a crime, there is no rulebook that says that the yardstick of artistic integrity is authorship, Christ The Beatles first album was mostly covers, were they hacks at that point?

Your point would make sense (somewhat) if that was the extent of Tommys artistic output which it ain't, he's released many-a album with The Replacements, then there was Bash & Pop, all original stuff by Tommy, what you appear to be saying is that he's a hack cuz he's playing other peoples songs, like thats a crime.

What about musicians that play in orchestras that get sheet music put in front of them, they're hacks too? Your point is patently ridiculous. If you have a problem with NuGuns existing then thats your own neuroses and you're better equipped to deal with it, Lord knows i'm hardly their biggest fan but whats real is still real, Tommy Stinson was writing bass lines at an age where most people were popping zits and wondering why their voice has suddenly gone deep.

Also, The Replacements often played entire gigs of just other peoples song if the mood took them, is that a crime?

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Have you seen the punk film - "fuck my arse: a film about the arse fuckers".

They were a great punk band from London in the later 70's, if you like the Replacements I'm sure you'll love it.

Ahhhh, The Arse Fuckers, they don't make em like they used to! Your Dad was the lead singer, wasn't he? i mean ...until their second album when he left to form The Cocksuckers. Shouldn't this be in the famous relatives thread?

Democracy is certainly ‘original’, I will give you that.

Two points. The Beatles were not called 'Chuck Berry' when they covered Roll over Beethoven. Secondly, era and context. In those days it was normality for the songwriter and performer to be divided. The interesting thing about the Beatles is that they broke this. As to orchestras, you do not get many contemporary classical composers having their own compositions orchestrated without their involvement! The Elgar recordings have a priority over any other recording. As to performances of artists outside the 'recording-era' (Beethoven for instance), I believe it is permitted. There is no other way to hear Beethoven’s performance of the 5th and the 6th without a time machine.

Fundamentally, there is something very 'un-punk' about playing twelve nights in Vegas, covering songs written by a semi-glam '80s band.

Guest Len B'stard
Two points. The Beatles were not called 'Chuck Berry' when they covered Roll over Beethoven. Secondly, era and context. In those days it was normality for the songwriter and performer to be divided. The interesting thing about the Beatles is that they broke this.

Not really, Buddy Holly was doing it before them ;) And the reason they weren't called Chuck Berry is because Chuck Berry is the name of a living human being from Missouri called Chuck Berry whereas The Beatles or Guns n Roses are umbrella terms for groups of people that are interchangeable by mutual agreement, this is why Jimmy Nichols played a tour of Australia while Ringo was ill in the 60s, are you suggesting they should've changed the name of the band while Jimmy was in there playing Ringos drum bits? Or when Pete Best was exchanged for Ringo they should've changed the name? Or changed it when Stu Sutcliffe left?

Is Mick Taylor a hack for joining The Stones and playing matierial that he didnt write when he joined?

As to orchestras, you do not get many contemporary classical composers having their own compositions orchestrated without their involvement! The Elgar recordings have a priority over any other recording. As to performances of artists outside the 'recording-era' (Beethoven for instance), I believe it is permitted. There is no other way to hear Beethoven’s performance of the 5th and the 6th without a time machine.

Well thats very gracious of you, i'm sure the musician community will be delighted that you've granted them permission :lol: And yes you do get musicians in orchestras that get sheet music put in front of them to perform.

Fundamentally, there is something very 'un-punk' about playing twelve nights in Vegas, covering songs written by a semi-glam '80s band.

Whats punk got to do with anything?

You are talking shit. Stinson is a hack who has been covering the same setlist for a decade and now has a nice stint in Vegas to look forward to. He is the bass player for the rock n' roll equivelent of Tony bennet or Andy Williams (rip). The Beatles, 1962-3, were a band 'on the make'. Yes, relying on covers on their studios but injecting those albums with a big audacious dose of Lennon-McCartney. By 1965 you had cultural take-off.

Also the Beatles were putting out two albums, I repear, two albums per year until 1965 (and thereafter, one album per year).

Guest Len B'stard

You are talking shit. Stinson is a hack who has been covering the same setlist for a decade and now has a nice stint in Vegas to look forward to. He is the bass player for the rock n' roll equivelent of Tony bennet or Andy Williams (rip). The Beatles, 1962-3, were a band 'on the make'. Yes, relying on covers on their studios but injecting those albums with a big audacious dose of Lennon-McCartney. By 1965 you had cultural take-off.

Also the Beatles were putting out two albums, I repear, two albums per year until 1965 (and thereafter, one album per year).

Right, now that you've hit a brick wall with your every argument we're getting to the not very well hidden agenda, agenda being that you don't like NuGuns, well whoopee, i couldn't give a shit but don't go around trying to make a point when you ain't got one about people and bands (i.e. Tommy Stinson and The Replacements) that you clearly know nothing about, you have a problem with NuGuns, big fuckin' wow, revelation of the century, i couldn't care less.

Now you're slagging off Tony Bennett too? :lol: Tony Bennett is a fucking legend, it is not an insult to liken someone to Tony Bennett.

You know nothing of the integrity of bands like The Replacements and what they did and contributed to music, Tommy Stinson could die right now today and know that he's made a contribution to music in his time, thats about as much as any musician can ask for, with a kind of integrity that you wouldn't recognise if it slapped across the face with a wet trout.

There is no law to this shit, some people sing and don't write anything, some people write and sell their songs, some people write and sing their songs while others play the instruments, some people tie cymbals to their knees and have harmonicas frames strapped to em and play accordians as they sing, some people just play songs written for em, some members of bands come in with fully realised songs and ask their drummers and bass players and guitarists to play whats in front of them (The Beatles did many-a time) neither of these have committed some kind of artistic crime.

Music is an organic thing, it's about interpretation and not by the audience but by an artist that covers a song...and no two artists ever sound the same, ever.

Edited by sugaraylen

If Stinson had any self-respect, if he was a proper 'punk rocker', a proper rebel with integrity, he would have kicked Axl Rose in the bollocks ten years' ago and told him his band 'f''in stinks'. Instead, ten years on, he is playing Rose's hits in front of a bunch of gambling addicts who probably cannot name a single GN'R song if they tried. ''Stinsons is cool, he earned his chops, he is punk rock' - I agree - but why is he playing with Axl? It is a blot on his career.

Guest Len B'stard

If Stinson had any self-respect, if he was a proper 'punk rocker', a proper rebel with integrity, he would have kicked Axl Rose in the bollocks ten years' ago and told him his band 'f''in stinks'. Instead, ten years on, he is playing Rose's hits in front of a bunch of gambling addicts who probably cannot name a single GN'R song if they tried. ''Stinsons is cool, he earned his chops, he is punk rock' - I agree - but why is he playing with Axl? It is a blot on his career.

Apparently you missed it so i'm gonna run it by you again, what has punk got to do with anything?