Dark background, light letters. Aweful.

izzydoezit

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

Hall and Hanna (2004) examined how colour combination affects readability and retention by experimenting on 186 test subjects. They found that both the readability scores (measured subjectively through a questionnaire) and the retention scores (measured through a quiz) were higher (i.e. better) when the text was displayed black on white as opposed to white on black.
Buchner and Baumgartner (2007) performed a similar experiment on 80 test subjects, except they measured the subject's performance on a proofreading task on a TFT display (Hall & Hanna did not mention the type of display they used). Buchner and Baumgartner arrived at a similar conclusion, with users consistently achieving higher proofreading scores when a black-on-white colour scheme was used.

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

Hall and Hanna (2004) examined how colour combination affects readability and retention by experimenting on 186 test subjects. They found that both the readability scores (measured subjectively through a questionnaire) and the retention scores (measured through a quiz) were higher (i.e. better) when the text was displayed black on white as opposed to white on black.
Buchner and Baumgartner (2007) performed a similar experiment on 80 test subjects, except they measured the subject's performance on a proofreading task on a TFT display (Hall & Hanna did not mention the type of display they used). Buchner and Baumgartner arrived at a similar conclusion, with users consistently achieving higher proofreading scores when a black-on-white colour scheme was used.

I don'g give a crap about your studies. I like it. And there have rarely been any complaints about it in about 10 years.

I don'g give a crap about your studies. I like it. And there have rarely been any complaints about it in about 10 years.

who gives a fuck what you think?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I think they were talking about alternative skins for the forum, but there should be some big update to a new version of the forum first. If I recall correctly, that is.

Not cool, bro.

The skin selector might be disabled at the moment (it's there for me, but maybe not for members), but we'll support switching to the default skin (light blue) next upgrade.

Yeah, you're right that for the most part, a black background with white text isn't great for readability - but we're grey and white/yellow here and that's a subtle difference that actually makes a big impact.

I don't think we've had many (if any) complaints about the site's readability over the years - you may have an astigmatism or something that makes it difficult for you to read.

I think the whole idea of contrast and readability is very subjective and it's simply because everyone's eyes are different. The solution is to give people to option to switch to a lighter skin if they want, which we have in the past and will in the future - but the default skin is going to stay more or less the same. A dark skin is more in line with the site's audience, IMO.

The skin selector might be disabled at the moment (it's there for me, but maybe not for members), but we'll support switching to the default skin (light blue) next upgrade.

Yeah, you're right that for the most part, a black background with white text isn't great for readability - but we're grey and white/yellow here and that's a subtle difference that actually makes a big impact.

I don't think we've had many (if any) complaints about the site's readability over the years - you may have an astigmatism or something that makes it difficult for you to read.

I think the whole idea of contrast and readability is very subjective and it's simply because everyone's eyes are different. The solution is to give people to option to switch to a lighter skin if they want, which we have in the past and will in the future - but the default skin is going to stay more or less the same. A dark skin is more in line with the site's audience, IMO.

I just remembered that I helped Eric design a red, 'Chinese Democracy' themed skin for the forum back in 2004. I wonder what happened to it. :lol:

Edited by IndiannaRose

I just remembered that I helped Eric design a red, 'Chinese Democracy' themed skin for the forum back in 2004. I wonder what happened to it. :lol:

It's still on the server somewhere. I can download it and send you a copy if you want it. :)

Won't work with the current board software though obviously.

It's still on the server somewhere. I can download it and send you a copy if you want it. :)

Won't work with the current board software though obviously.

For sure, that'd be sweet!

You spell AWFUL like this , NOT aweful

thanks for the spelling lesson man :takethat: English is not my first language so I'm trying my best.

To be fair, your spelling 'error' is not bad at all.

Awful (Awe Full), once upon a time, meant the opposite to what it means now. The word 'awesome' is what awful meant hundreds of years ago.

For some reason, humans like to play with language, and very often the opposite of what a word means becomes it's meaning hundreds of years later.