Don't sell those old original Maiden cds

chicagocoma13

After getting the enhanced Maiden remasters from the first 6 albums last week------ they are horrible. Comparing the Castle 2 disk, the later enhanced remasters, and the original Capital US versions------the Capital originals are far superior and sound the most like the original vinyls. Luckily I was able to cop the first 6 Capital originals for around 7 bucks each here in Chicago at Reckless Records. I also ordered from ebay-- the "Black Triangle" EMI Toshiba Japanese pressed Killers CD -- to see if there is a difference. I here the BT's are the best -----

Edited by chicagocoma13

The '98 remasters are utter garbage, loud, compressed pieces of shit. They were the first set of CDs to fill my Maiden collection of course, since they're the easiest to pick up. Recently I've just started collecting the Japanese 1st pressings. In the case of Maiden, the Japanese 1st pressings were copied directly from the master tapes. I recently did a comparison of all CD versions of SSOASS and the Japanese 1st pressing was audibly better than even the Capitol or EMI 1st pressings. They're also quite valuable too - some of the 80's albums go for more than $100 on eBay!

The '98 remasters are utter garbage, loud, compressed pieces of shit. They were the first set of CDs to fill my Maiden collection of course, since they're the easiest to pick up. Recently I've just started collecting the Japanese 1st pressings. In the case of Maiden, the Japanese 1st pressings were copied directly from the master tapes. I recently did a comparison of all CD versions of SSOASS and the Japanese 1st pressing was audibly better than even the Capitol or EMI 1st pressings. They're also quite valuable too - some of the 80's albums go for more than $100 on eBay!

I know--just popped 50 bucks for killers 1st press BT------powerslave is going for 125 !!!!!------who would have ever thought !!!! Many people traded original pressings for remasters that blow--

The maiden remasters are a bit compressed, but i still love em, i like my maiden loud & heavy anyways so it's a good bet, although I've never heard any other masters besides the original US press & the castle ones, & i still think the remasters are better than the castle reissues.

it could also have to do with the fact that live after death is my favorite maiden album, & i refuse to listen to any pressings that use the radio edit if running free, just kinda ruins the whole album for me.

Where's the AFD remaster?

Mobile Fidelity cut a mastering of Appetite that was pretty good, but not enough of a difference in sound to make it a make or break when matched against the standard Barry Diament mastered CD.

In all honestly Appetite is a great sounding record that doesn't even need a remaster. If it was really well done than it would be cool but unfortunately a lot of modern remasters just pile on the compression and high-end to give it the false impression of detail that can be harsh to listen to when you crank it up. And god forbid it has a lot of clipping as well

Mobile Fidelity cut a mastering of Appetite that was pretty good, but not enough of a difference in sound to make it a make or break when matched against the standard Barry Diament mastered CD.

In all honestly Appetite is a great sounding record that doesn't even need a remaster. If it was really well done than it would be cool but unfortunately a lot of modern remasters just pile on the compression and high-end to give it the false impression of detail that can be harsh to listen to when you crank it up. And god forbid it has a lot of clipping as well

i agree alot of these albums that are being remastered today dont need it. all they do is compress the shit out of it and ruin the album. the one album that should be remastered is born again by black sabbath but they cant because they lost the master tapes :no:

i agree alot of these albums that are being remastered today dont need it. all they do is compress the shit out of it and ruin the album. the one album that should be remastered is born again by black sabbath but they cant because they lost the master tapes :no:

Born Again---thank you----one of the most killer and underated Sabbath records ever-----!!!!!!!!

Born Again---thank you----one of the most killer and underated Sabbath records ever-----!!!!!!!!

yeah it is love that album wish the mix was better lol i think that is what gives it that certain charm the whole ugly duckling thing

Edited by bran

born again was remastered & reissued as a deluxe edition either last year or early this year, you should check it out, has a bonus disk of outtakes & live songs with Gillian.

Edited by The Matinator

born again was remastered & reissued as a deluxe edition either last year or early this year, you should check it out, has a bonus disk of outtakes & live songs with Gillian.

I think Bran meant to say remixed, not remastered. I've got the Born Again remaster and its marginally better than the original, but that album really deserved a proper remixing.

I think Bran meant to say remixed, not remastered. I've got the Born Again remaster and its marginally better than the original, but that album really deserved a proper remixing.

yeah that is what i meant did realize my mistake until i just reread my post lol.

iommi was on that metal show a season or so back and he said they were going to remix the album but they couldnt find the master tapes. iommi also said the album sounded much better before they left to tour before the album was released and when they heard it he couldnt believe how shitty it sounded. the demos do sound better.