World War I films

Georgy Zhukov

The problem I have with these films is the war is just a backdrop. I wish to see more films that doesn't involve a romance, just focusing on the war itself. All Quiet on the Western Front and Paths of Glory are perfect examples.

Truman may have been right speaking out against the Armistice because Germany was never defeated they just agreed to a ceasefire and humiliation which set the seeds for Adolf Hitler to come to power. The Treaty of Versailles was just asking for more trouble. It probably would have gone better if the leaders of Britain and France listened to Wilson and Congress approved of a US membership in the League of Nations.

Do they have a list of all their restorations?

Do you mean blu-ray.com...or Universal?

Blu-ray.com pretty much reviews everything that comes out on blu-ray (all regions).

Universal has a list of everything they have restored for their 100th Anniversary celebrations...All Quiet was one of those releases.

If you're interested in getting it, do so soon.It's one of the releases that seems to be growing a little more scarce than some of the others.

I'll have to wait for my next check comes in. Which is in about a week. Fucking bi-weekly pay.

Thanks for the recommendation! I hope there will be a German language adaptation of the novel someday.

The All Quiet release has a silent movie version included as well.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but Criterion has a blu-ray release of Paths Of Glory.

It too is an outstanding transfer!

Is Criterion releasing all their collections on Blu Ray? I bet Hamlet and 8 and a half would look amazing.

No idea there's a silent version. I think All Quiet and M brought the talkie picture to the mainstream. Around that time the silent films were the quality films, talkies were just attractions.

Is Criterion releasing all their collections on Blu Ray? I bet Hamlet and 8 and a half would look amazing.

The ones they still have licences for they gradually are.

Some they've released on blu and are already out of print because their rights to the material has expired.

Man Who Fell To Earth for example.

8 1/2 they've released on blu.

I have it in my collection and they've done a fantastic job with it.

Guest Len B'stard

I saw one a while ago starring Paul Nichols who used to be in Eastenders and Danny Dyer (shut up, shut uppp :lol:), it was pretty OK too, better than i thought it'd be, it's called The Trench and it's about the last 48 hours leading up to The Battle of the Somme.

Verdun and the Somme occurred at the same time. So much slaughtering going on in same region at the same time.

What about Eastern Front? Tannenberg, the Brusilov Offensive? The origins of blitzkrieg and modern warfare occured on the Eastern Front.

Edited by Stannis Baratheon

I saw one a while ago starring Paul Nichols who used to be in Eastenders and Danny Dyer (shut up, shut uppp :lol:), it was pretty OK too, better than i thought it'd be, it's called The Trench and it's about the last 48 hours leading up to The Battle of the Somme.

Did Fanny Dryer get killed? Please tell me that he got a bayonet in the gut or something. God, that guy is such a fucking plum.

Watched a scene from Passchendaele on YouTube, is it too much to ask for writers not to use so many fucking cliches?

"There's too many of them!"

*holds rifle* "Come on, come on, come on"

"NOW!!!" *bunch of guys open fire*

*guy with machine gun* "AH!!!!!" *bunch of enemy soldiers fall down*

Edited by Stannis Baratheon