Neil Young is the fucking king

Use Your Delusion 1

I love Neil...and I've never understood why some people think he's a shitty guitar player. He's actually one of my favorite guitar players.

One of my favorite songs...and IMO this version is way better than the studio version he did with CSNY...

Edited by foghat43
  • Like 1

I could never really get into him. Friends of mine are absolutely crazy about him, but I don't get it. Saw him like 20 years ago, but remember little of it. He did a show in Belgium yesterday, and apparently, it wasn't that good. Lots of solos and a 25 minute Down By The River, badly tuned guitars, and Neil Young himself seemed in a bad mood, according to the paper's reviewer. ;)

My friends were there too, still have to ask them what they thought, as they've seen him lots of times.

EDIT: quite a few reactions on the review from people who say he got it all wrong and it was great.

Edited by Lio

Lots of solos and a 25 minute Down By The River,

It is The Horse. If Neil is with The Horse, expect lots and lots of solos., and expect one or two of them Horse epics to spill over their studio duration. I cannot believe people exist who still turn up to Crazy Horse gigs and are still surprised at the jamming haha. I mean he has been doing this since 1969!

• Like 1

Lots of solos and a 25 minute Down By The River,

It is The Horse. If Neil is with The Horse, expect lots and lots of solos., and expect one or two of them Horse epics to spill over their studio duration. I cannot believe people exist who still turn up to Crazy Horse gigs and are still surprised at the jamming haha. I mean he has been doing this since 1969!

Yes, that's what basically a lot of commenters say, that the reviewer obviously has no clue what he's talking about.

I just looked it up, when I saw him, it was with Booker T and the MG's.

That would have been around 2000ish. He did an album with the MGs, Are You Passionate? Good shows they were. A bit, Horse-lite, i.e. Horse for casuals, but still good. In my opinion the definitive Tonight the Night was done by that band (it is one a live album, Red Rocks).

That would have been around 2000ish. He did an album with the MGs, Are You Passionate? Good shows they were. A bit, Horse-lite, i.e. Horse for casuals, but still good. In my opinion the definitive Tonight the Night was done by that band (it is one a live album, Red Rocks).

It was 1993, actually. Yes, we are getting old :D

I could never really get into him. Friends of mine are absolutely crazy about him, but I don't get it. Saw him like 20 years ago, but remember little of it. He did a show in Belgium yesterday, and apparently, it wasn't that good. Lots of solos and a 25 minute Down By The River, badly tuned guitars, and Neil Young himself seemed in a bad mood, according to the paper's reviewer. ;)

My friends were there too, still have to ask them what they thought, as they've seen him lots of times.

EDIT: quite a few reactions on the review from people who say he got it all wrong and it was great.

:max:

Saw him a few weeks back with Crazy Horse. Brilliant gig

He played a re-worked electric version of After the Goldrush (it might have been the first time he has done this version)

And of course an EPIC version of Rockin In The Free World

Neil Young is a terrific album. It is basically an oddity in his discography in that he used, overdubs! He sort of got suckered into the mid-late '60s penchant for over production on his debut, which he obviously abandoned soon after. It was an experiment before he had found his own style. But in a strange way it is one of my favourite albums of his. It has its own niche, its own sound and genius. Neil never returned to this sort of music (and probably never will) so that uniqueness is very distinctive. And there is a great harmonic beauty there with the strings and backing vocals.

There's hundreds, maybe thousands of shows NY & Crazy Horse did together in the vaults, some of them great, some of them not, and the "Year of the Horse" documentary went into that, but they had to have played "After the Gold Rush" before.

As far as the self titled goes, you're only talking about a few months after he left Buffalo Springfield when he put that together (the third and last BS album had n the Way Home and I Am a Child) and was probably just beginning to figure out what he wanted, he was just doing acoustic gigs and making a name for himself, then CSNY happened which had to have helped him a bit.

CSNY 1974 is awesome especially as far as his songs go. The show had a bad rep for years but been listening to it for the past few weeks.

• 1 month later...

I love Neil...and I've never understood why some people think he's a shitty guitar player. He's actually one of my favorite guitar players.

He's a great "bad" guitar player. But yeah, he's underrated in that department. Tons of guys can do the

1 mil-notes-per-minute wankery antics, but Neil Young makes you feel, goddammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KxiEjPCXA8

• 2 weeks later...

Neil Young is a fucking champ. Harvest, Comes A Time and After The Goldrush are some of my favorites. Harvest Moon too.

Saw him live twice, which was absolutely spectacular. Especially his live version of Beatles classic A Day In The Life was absolutely mindblowing.

I think I'm gonna give this guys work a proper chance, too many cool people say he's good. Looks a bit of an old hippie though.

Neil Young cannot and should not be pigeonholed. If you want to take a snapshot of a certain point in his career perhaps you could construe that he's a hippie...but that would be a misrepresentation. Essence is the only constant when it comes to Neil Young's work. He's a vessel that never compromised himself (his work) by becoming self-aware in the way that Dylan did. Neil's got the spook.

Red Rocks!?! You mean the Road Rock release from Red Rocks? Horrendous gig. Undoubetedly the worst live release he ever put out. Shambolic at best. Neil didn't really fit with the MG's. I heard that collaboration aptly described once as "giving Neil Young a subtle rhythm section is like giving a gorilla a palm-pilot." 99-02 was the weakest, most feeble era in Neil's recording and touring career. Horse-lite is not an accurate description in the least. The MG's are the antithesis of the Horse- wholly, completely.

I've seen the film Dead Man and i know he did the soundtrack to that, which i recall being quite good.

Yes, that was some great guitar- spooky, eerie, haunting, whatever. It added a whole other element to that film.

It was 1993, actually. Yes, we are getting old :D

Wrong. The album was recorded in 2001, released in 2002- but he did tour with the MG's in the early 90's. The shows were tight, but imo a bit stale. I suppose they mastered a lot of the Horse catalog, but those songs weren't really meant to be mastered or be played the same way every time out. The MG's were TOO sophisticated, TOO good of players to play that kind of material. Don't get me wrong- I like everything Neil, but AYP along with the album before it- Silver and Gold I think unquestionably rank near the bottom of his records. There's a few great highlights- Going Home (which was a Crazyhorse track thrown randomnly on AYP), Let's Roll was a strong number that reflected the times. By and large that album was a dedication to his wife (now ex) Pegi.

Edited by Mr. Dude

I like AYP and I like it more than many of his other releases, e.g. the woeful Living For War. What about She's A Healer? That is a superb track. It has a guitar sound similar to what he was using with the Bluenotes.

I think I'm gonna give this guys work a proper chance, too many cool people say he's good. Looks a bit of an old hippie though.

He was one of the few old hippies to not be hung out to draw by the punk movement in the late '70s. In fact, he almost achieves a synthesis between hippydom and punk rock. I think even in the beginning though, Neil was always a bit, odd, to be considered an out right hippy in the 'flowers in your hair' sense. Just look at what he brought to CSN. Yes, you can look at the protest songs, Southern Man and Alabama perhaps but there is always a bit more grit there with Neil. He semi embraced the movement, but he was always looking in from the outside.

I think Rust Never Sleeps might be your Neil Young album.