Neil Young is the fucking king

Use Your Delusion 1

I think some people are going to read into a few of the new songs as being about the end of his marriage.

Dylan's Basement Tapes are also up.

Undoubtedly they will and undoubtedly they are. Nothing surpises me with Neil, but I will say that his divorce shocked me. I'm gonna wait til I get the Vinyl version before I listen to Storytone in full. So far I've just listened to the various versions of Who's Gonna Stand Up and the sprinkling of new songs he played on the road with the modified Crazyhorse lineup.

Reactor and Hawks & Doves are great and don't really get mentioned much.

There's one album that's unlistenable, it's probably Arc, but I think he tacked that on as a bonus with Weld. I'm sure you could find a download of it but it's just a bunch of edited feedback from different shows.

Weld is a great live album though, I think it came out on video but never got a DVD release.

Weld is killer, but they kind of diluted it in the mixing process once Davig Briggs left the project. That is one live album that didn't need overdubs or any kind of sweetening whatsover and Neil went overboard with it. The video release is far superior to the album. The electric version of Crime in the City is brilliant. I wish I could find an electric version of that song with all the verses that he used on the acoustic version.

• 5 years later...
15 hours ago, Use Your Delusion 1 said:

Just brought On the Beach vinyl during the lockdown. What a zinger, Revolution Blues, great great tune. Any recommendations for post 1990 (Ragged Glory) Neil aside from Le Noise. Never got into his later stuff.

If you like The Horse, which I suspect you do if you like Ragged Glory, Broken Arrow is underrated, and Psychedelic Pill was pure Horse goodness? If you like the more contemplative side, Harvest Moon, Silver and Gold and Prairie Wind are good. Chrome Dreams II is a good one also. Sleeps With Angels is an odd one. It is a Horse album, but weird, gnarly and grungy - it connected with the grunge generation: some love it, and others don't. 

There are some iffy albums there to watch out for. Fork in the Road, Peace Trail, etc etc. You are on fairly dodgy ground from 2014 onwards, although his new one is an improvement.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you like The Horse, which I suspect you do if you like Ragged Glory, Broken Arrow is underrated, and Psychedelic Pill was pure Horse goodness? If you like the more contemplative side, Harvest Moon, Silver and Gold and Prairie Wind are good. Chrome Dreams II is a good one also. Sleeps With Angels is an odd one. It is a Horse album, but weird, gnarly and grungy - it connected with the grunge generation: some love it, and others don't. 

There are some iffy albums there to watch out for. Fork in the Road, Peace Trail, etc etc. You are on fairly dodgy ground from 2014 onwards, although his new one is an improvement.

I like Fork In The Road. Fuel Line and Light A Candle especially are great tracks.

Post 90, Sleeps With Angels and Mirror Ball are great! They come on the heels of 1989’s Rocking in the Free World and songs like Piece of Crap and Downtown roll in a similar vein.

Silver and Gold is a horrible pile of dog crap. It’s a collection of songs the he knew better than to release back in the 70’s. And that’s saying a lot about just how bad they are given that in the 70’s he did release his debut and On The Beach :lol:

Prime of Life from 94’s Sleeps with Angels is a favorite Neil Young track of mine.

Since then there are quality tracks but there is a palpable sense that Neil Young runs things more like a cottage industry now. Sometimes it almost feels likes he’s retired and taken up making Neil young-esque albums as a hobby. And often they ooze with self-reference and nostalgia. Take Psychedelic Pill and it’s opener Driftin Back as a no nonsense example of the on brand nostalgia.

basically it’s like if you have a beloved childhood treat for the first time in ages. And you think ‘it’s still pretty good, but it’s a bit smaller now. And way too sweet. I swear I remember it being better seasoned.’ And you’re prolly half correct - they did cut corners, make it smaller and used cheaper ingredients. But it’s also just never gonna live up to the feelings that once went along with it. There’s no passion, it’s just a machine making it now.

On 2020-04-11 at 10:03 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Psychedelic Pill is exceptional; 'Ramada Inn' is a Horse masterpiece, one of Neil's greatest epics. Silver and Gold is a beautiful little album. 

Great album and I caught some shows on the tour that were killer also. You’ve inspired me to dig out this album again .

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Great album and I caught some shows on the tour that were killer also. You’ve inspired me to dig out this album again .

Yes, I saw him at Newcastle on this tour and listen to the bootleg regularly. He played ''Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze'' and a Horsed-up version of ''Mr Soul''. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 1:33 PM, Powderfinger said:

Anyone looking at Neils fireside sessions on the NYA site. 

I fucking love Neil.....

Ahhh-- I heard something about this-- thanks for reminding me.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:39 AM, Use Your Delusion 1 said:

Just brought On the Beach vinyl during the lockdown. What a zinger, Revolution Blues, great great tune. Any recommendations for post 1990 (Ragged Glory) Neil aside from Le Noise. Never got into his later stuff.

On The Beach is such good album-- Top to bottom. Neil has put out so much, I've barely scratched the surface of his later works.

As others have said Psychedelic Pill is a great throwback, but personally Greendale & Are You Passionate -- are my favorite recent albums of his. Not every song is a hit, but I would bet there's at least one or two tracks that would resonate with any Neil fan.

Wasn't Harvest Moon in the 90's? I don't remember the whole album but that single is right up there with his best. Also Philadelphia and Out of Control on the CSNY reunion album. Very touching and sentimental.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 7:50 AM, doakes said:

Ahhh-- I heard something about this-- thanks for reminding me.

On The Beach is such good album-- Top to bottom. Neil has put out so much, I've barely scratched the surface of his later works.

As others have said Psychedelic Pill is a great throwback, but personally Greendale & Are You Passionate -- are my favorite recent albums of his. Not every song is a hit, but I would bet there's at least one or two tracks that would resonate with any Neil fan.

Wasn't Harvest Moon in the 90's? I don't remember the whole album but that single is right up there with his best. Also Philadelphia and Out of Control on the CSNY reunion album. Very touching and sentimental.

It is seen as one of his weird ''genre'' albums, Are You Passionate?: Stax-esque soul! Most hate it but I have a soft spot for it. His guitar tone/playing reminds me of his Blue notes era, and there is a decent Horse epic plonked on the end. Not an album you'd start with but quite enjoyable really. The Bush Jr number, ''Let's Roll'', is a bit embarrassing though. I haven't listened to Greendale in years.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

If one was wanting to explore NY discography who has heard needle......and harvest moon where would you start?.

Simply put: Harvest (1972), the very album with ''The Needle and the Damage Done". Then you could follow it up with Comes a Time (1978). 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...