Axl Rose is not a hasbeen and here's why...

Towelie

To the original poster, Def Leppard and Motley Crue are as big of a draw or bigger then Guns so I'm not sure why they were used In your example. As a matter of fact aren't Guns following In Motley Crues footsteps with the whole Vegas residency thing.

A comparison of Def's, Motley's and Gun's last album sales figures, show how very little you know.

What the fuck does album sales have to do with the venue size and how many fans show up at the concerts.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the original poster, Def Leppard and Motley Crue are as big of a draw or bigger then Guns so I'm not sure why they were used In your example. As a matter of fact aren't Guns following In Motley Crues footsteps with the whole Vegas residency thing.

A comparison of Def's, Motley's and Gun's last album sales figures, show how very little you know.

What the fuck does album sales have to do with the venue size and how many fans show up at the concerts.

Both GN'R and Motley toured in 2010, but you won't find Motley on Pollstar's list of the 50 biggest tours (in terms of revenue) for 2010, but you do find GN'R grossing $39.7 mill. Def Leppard toured in 2009, but grossed a lot less in that year than GN'R did in 2010 ($25.9 mill vs. $39.7 mill). So I dunno....

EDIT: While searching some more I did find a complete list for 2011 in North America with Motley grossing more than GN'R ($21.1 mill vs $11.2 mill). So it seems Motley may be more popular than GN'R in the US, but that GN'R is able to draw bigger crowds outside of the US.

Edited by SoulMonster

axl rose isn't a hasbeen. but. what would help before the vegas residency shows. is. a new single released on itunes. a single featuring robin, bucket, and brain. the official recognition of the latest guns n roses music video release called better. featuring robin, bucket, brain, sebastian bach, and lars. the announcement the vegas residency setlist will be 90% chinese democracy material and 10% appetite/lies/illusions materials. the official release date of a new guns n roses record in 2012. the announcement of axl not only appearing on but performing songs. new songs. from the upcoming record. on talk shows. like. jimmy fallon. and david letterman. this and more would show his critics and the world he's not a hasbeen before the vegas residency shows

Both GN'R and Motley toured in 2010, but you won't find Motley on Pollstar's list of the 50 biggest tours (in terms of revenue) for 2010, but you do find GN'R grossing $39.7 mill. Def Leppard toured in 2009, but grossed a lot less in that year than GN'R did in 2010 ($25.9 mill vs. $39.7 mill). So I dunno....

EDIT: While searching some more I did find a complete list for 2011 in North America with Motley grossing more than GN'R ($21.1 mill vs $11.2 mill). So it seems Motley may be more popular than GN'R in the US, but that GN'R is able to draw bigger crowds outside of the US.

nice job at actually doing the research Instead of just making claims as certain members seem to do. I would definitely agree with Motley being bigger In the states and Guns being bigger overseas.

nice job at actually doing the research Instead of just making claims as certain members seem to do. I would definitely agree with Motley being bigger In the states and Guns being bigger overseas.

Motley toured with Poison and Newyork dolls so you draw in their fan base and generate more revenue.

nice job at actually doing the research Instead of just making claims as certain members seem to do.

Like you? ;). Nah, I am just joking with you.

So let's say the original lineup were still together. Don't you think the exact same UYI and AFD songs would be in the set as it is today? I doubt the setlist would look a whole lot different - and you would still be able to use the exact same argument as above.

True.

Except that the band playing those hits would be the band that wrote them!!!!! You seriously can't see a difference there?

Right now, DJ is making a living by covering Slash, Bucket and Finck material. Take away Axl and a portion of the band has writing credits on a small portion of the songs they are making money off of.

5-6 CD songs a night is good.......but if you put that in perspective it sucks. If I told you in 1995 that between today and 2012 Axl would carry on the GnR name by releasing one album, would you be happy and call that a success?

As long as Axl relies on old music and tours with guys who don't write songs with GnR, people will rightfully so call them a cover band and a nostalgia act. One of the BEST in the world at both those things though.

All Axl has to do is release a few albums of new material and 75% of the criticism will go away. Let the current band have their opportunity to shine on their own. I really hope he does that.

As for the OP.

So you are bashing people for doing what they love?

You are whining about people labeling Axl...but then you put a negative label on other active bands. Weird double standard there.

And you judge a band's worth by ticket sales? Justin Bieber would absolutely destroy The Axl Rose Solo Band.......does that mean Bieber is a greater artist than Axl?

I don't get why people aren't capable of looking at Axl and GnR logically and without Axl or Slash bias.

How big of venues do you think Axl would be playing if he went under his own name instead of the GNR name? I find the whole situation to be really sad. He could have had an Ozzy type solo career under his own name if he was able to release albums on a consistent basis. Keeping the name wasn't worth it from an artistic sense.

THIS!

Axl's band still is the best original GnR cover band and without him the GnR name would be long dead, so credits due to the man. Still no matter what Axl does with his "GnR" band it'll never be accepted by the general public as the real mccoy since there's no Slash. That's a burden Axl will have to live with for the rest of his days.

How big of venues do you think Axl would be playing if he went under his own name instead of the GNR name?

Why does it matter? It's his band. He started it. He named it. How big of venues do you think Saul Hudson would be playing if he went under his own name instead of the Slash name?

The genesis of something and even the name doesn't mean it was solely "his band", it was an open collective of musical identities. It was never his sole brand until the legal matters of the 90's but by then the image and band ID in regards to public perception already took hold. And the name Slash never referred to a band only his own nickname which IS his name nowadays (and has been for years) so that is irrelevant

Edited by WhazUp

That's funny, since you obviously didn't do any research to justify your claims… let me break it down for you.

Guns N Roses played 35 shows and grossed 11.2 million... Motley Crue didn't have their own tour, they played as part of "Glam-A-Geddon", which included Poison and the New York Dolls. They played 51 shows, 16 more than GN'R, and grossed 21.1 million.

On average GN'R grossed 320,000 per show, so if they'd played an extra 16 dates, they would have grossed 16.3 million in total, on their own. In comparison "the Crue" made 4 million more, and they had the added draw of Poison and the New York Dolls, who both tour very successfully on their own.

It's not a fair comparison, but even so, based on these stats, it doesn't look as though Motley Crue on their own would gross anything near to what GN'R does.

In regards to Def Leppard, GN'R have been outselling them in the US for the last 10 years.

So, again. You really have no idea what you're talking about! Please do some research before you post, you're yet to post any comparative numbers to justify your speculative claims.

Check your facts again asshole 8302 and no need for anymore of your bullshit private message. Guns did not outsell def Leppard for the past 10 years, last year Leppard averaged 8,364 per show grossing 19 million compared to Guns doing 6,400 per show and grossing 11 million. Oh wait, Its not fair, Its not fair. You Double Talking Jive motherfucker.

Edited by ironmt

Check your facts again asshole 8302 and no need for anymore of your bullshit private message. Guns did not outsell def Leppard for the past 10 years, last year Leppard averaged 8,364 per show grossing 19 million compared to Guns doing 6,400 per show and grossing 11 million. Oh wait, Its not fair, Its not fair. You Double Talking Jive motherfucker.

AGAIN, they weren't touring by themselves, they were touring with HEART and they played TEN MORE SHOWS than GUNS, so again, you're an ass hat.

Selling out O2 twice on a weekend? Failed, haha! I think he feels pretty good about his "failure". And just released one album in all these years and still on best selling tours...yeah, he must really feel bad! ;)

..and add to that, no original members! I would say he has done something that nobody(?) has succeded with before!

A has been is just someone who is not relevant anymore and Axl at this point in his career is probably entering that state. Still the man choose like OP said to stay irrelevant for more than 15 years of his career and to compare him to acts like Def Lepard and Motley Crue is a joke GnR easily outsells those bands lol and thats just Axl imagine if the original 5 were together thats just funny to me :devilshades: . I see Axl entering that stage of irrelevance in the same vain that Robert Plant is; in that the community of Rock n Roll view him like a legend and thats basically what any musician wants. There is a reason why most musicians and vocalist name Axl Rose as the last great front man and to me thats a great way to just settle a career down n just go out n show people a good time like Axl n company is doing.

Edited by MEXzilla

Ok I've only read through the 2nd page of responses but.... let's see..

Axl started Guns N Roses so he SHOULD have rights to the name

We still don't know the real story on why they split up, there are a lot of myths.

To ALOT of people who surround him say that he CARES too much about everything

I mean he is a perfectionist and as you can see by this forum, he cannot please everyone.

Even if he did make all the "right" decisions, bet the complainers and "cupcakes" would still complain.

He tours the world, with a group of people that he enjoys being around.

He is constantly criticized and as you heard him say on TMS, he KEEPS up with what is said, which means...

He sees all the crap some of you,. well and the media (and I am sure putting you guys along with the media is making you feel BAD AND SOMETHING IN THIS WORLD...lol) put him through and he still keeps going, while the people moaning and whining about (fill in here), well don't mind that, you complain about everything.

The point is cupcakes, the crap you say and do does nothing. All it does is give you a sort of an "infamous" outlook on the forum (AND WE KNOW YOU LOVE THIS TOO)

And I tell ya through observation being on this forum and reading threads, it is way easier to be "known" by being a cupcake and flamer than to be an actual fan of this forum, which is what this forum is all about. It is sad. but to be real, you may be known but most of the people here are picturing you as an angry kid who slits their wrist on the daily, at least I do. (or an older man whom is a complete alcoholic and beats his wife and kids) Anyways... This is a GUNS N ROSES FAN FORUM.

Those of you who are on here trying to get some sort of acknowledgement, i could easily list names, but i'm not, well it works yeah good job round of applause for you guys. I understand you want to be somebody in this world LOL...

But where does it get you in REAL LIFE? Nowhere. Remember, at the end of the day, this is only music. Axl Rose has accomplished WAY more than any of you cupcakes will ever accomplish. (YEAH cupcake ME IT PIXEL-HURTS) He is still ranked as easily high tier of top 10 front men of all time.

I have yet to hear any of the people I am speaking of actually give a good reason why they are here.

P.S.

This is a Guns N Roses site, supporting current Guns N Roses, supporting AXL ROSE.

It makes me laugh so hard when you cupcakes get into defense mode (AND YOU DO THIS ALOT) and go "Well you are an axl lover, you are so pro axl it's ridiculous"

ITS A GUNS N ROSES FAN FORUM!!! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!!

Here's a perfect example

fat+balding+noonecares=hasbeen

Fat - He isn't even fat, mr. cupcake.

Balding - How is he balding mr. cupcake?

Noonecares - Actually alot of people care, which is why HE SELLS OUT ARENAS, mr. cupcake

Edited by GNRFan53

uh, guys . . . GNR is a MAJOR headlining attraction around the world.

irrelevant? please. i swear 99% of the people on this site struggle with basic language comprehension.

GnR will never release the best selling album of any year or will it be the most anticipated by mainstream music like they once were thats what irrelevance is. GnR is like ACDC or metallica in that if they release music it'll sell good but it wont crossover to other audiences it will only sell to their core fans so it wont be a humongous hit like Kanye West or some other pop rapper artist out there. Also most rock bands are headliners out side of the US its still huge over there so if ur basing it like that no rock star is a hasbeen. Finally I just think there legends so who really gives a crap if Axl or anybody who was in guns relevant now a days.

irrelevant? please. i swear 99% of the people on this site struggle with basic language comprehension.

GnR will never

release the best selling album of any year or will it be the most anticipated by mainstream music like they once were thats what irrelevance is. GnR is like ACDC or metallica in that if they release music it'll sell good but it wont crossover to other audiences it will only sell to their core fans so it wont be a humongous hit like Kanye West or some other pop rapper artist out there. Also most rock bands are headliners out side of the US its still huge over there so if ur basing it like that no rock star is a hasbeen. Finally I just think there legends so who really gives a crap if Axl or anybody who was in guns relevant now a days.

Your writing is so bad, it's like trying to decipher the da vinci code... what the fuck are you babbling about?

GnR will never

release the best selling album of any year or will it be the most anticipated by mainstream music like they once were thats what irrelevance is. GnR is like ACDC or metallica in that if they release music it'll sell good but it wont crossover to other audiences it will only sell to their core fans so it wont be a humongous hit like Kanye West or some other pop rapper artist out there. Also most rock bands are headliners out side of the US its still huge over there so if ur basing it like that no rock star is a hasbeen. Finally I just think there legends so who really gives a crap if Axl or anybody who was in guns relevant now a days.

Your writing is so bad, it's like trying to decipher the da vinci code... what the fuck are you babbling about?

I don't know man its just I feel their not relevant anymore lmao

GnR will never

Seems like if you don't have some sort of pop aspect into your music, you won't be. As you can see, a lot of rock bands these days are trying to add dubstep into their music to fit the FAD. That's when it is selling out, losing the rock n roll aspect loses the rock n roll fans and maybe gains more of the pop genre listeners. It's getting ridiculous.

GnR will never

Seems like if you don't have some sort of pop aspect into your music, you won't be. As you can see, a lot of rock bands these days are trying to add dubstep into their music to fit the FAD. That's when it is selling out, losing the rock n roll aspect loses the rock n roll fans and maybe gains more of the pop genre listeners. It's getting ridiculous.

sad but true