Can New GNR exist as an artistic entity without a true guitar god?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I think of "Guitar God" I think of someone who has taken the instrument and made it his bitch. Not someone who's put out some successful blues rock songs.

They either come up with a new style of guitar playing, add some bells and whistles to it and come up with a signature sound, or have a whole new artillery of riffs that stick in your brain. I think every great guitarist has customized their guitar with mixed results, and eventually handed it over to someone who would make the thing work better than they ever could have imagined.

I think it depends more on Axl's ambitions. New GN'R can't exist as long as they don't put out a solid album and start looking like not as a cover band of classic GN'R, but as a different band with a different aura, with its own sound. If the current band puts out 3 good albums in the next 5 years and Axl forgets a little bit about AFD and appears in the media with Fortus, with Bumble, speaking about the musical project... yeah, why not, New GN'R could exist as a legitimate artistic entity. Though I don't see it happening.

This man speaks the truth.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Yes. A guitar god obviously is someone with a certain look, a special look and solid guitar play.

I guess that's what it seems. Richard Fortus is my favorite guitarist to have ever been in GN'R. Why isn't he a "guitar god"? He lacks that look.

Similar to pop music, you have to have the look and the sound.

Bumble and Dj (I hate Dj, but it's true) are perfectly capable guitar players. They're not gods, as slash or buckethead, but they are able to play on a professional level.

More like Richard and BBF. DJ is not really more skilled than Robin.

Richards talents are smothered because he has a small part. Richard SHOULD be lead, but instead axl brought in Dj unfortunately.

And IMO, Robin is WAAAY better than Dj.

Edited by liers

they have capable guitar players (like them or not) but it doesn't seem like axl wants to be that artistic entity at this point in time for whatever reasons.

seems like he's sacking away cash for something though, perhaps funding for a new album, perhaps funding for retirement? selling off all the old gear to make room for new?

Randy, guitar solos are all but dead since Nirvana, what the fuck are you talking about. There is hardly anymore guitar solos 3/4 through music anymore. I am soo tired of your sycophancy for that performance artist BH. Nobody cares or even remembers him on GNR but a few people. BTW I saw him in San Jose a few months ago, hanging out at the Agenda, and he is a skinny guy with a fat gut now hoping people will recognize him without his bucket. He is a few more years from hanging out at the Caravan.

Edited by Ruxin

Randy, guitar solos are all but dead since Nirvana, what the fuck are you talking about. There is hardly anymore guitar solos 3/4 through music anymore. I am soo tired of your sycophancy for that performance artist BH. Nobody cares or even remembers him on GNR but a few people. BTW I saw him in San Jose a few months ago, hanging out at the Agenda, and he is a skinny guy with a fat gut now hoping people will recognize him without his bucket. He is a few more years from hanging out at the Caravan.

with a mask and no bucket? or no mask at all?

A band doesn't need a guitar god, but a lot more output.

BTW: Guitar god? Isn't it all personal taste? To public Slash is a guitar god not for his skills, but for helping create classic Songs. He is part of the rock'n'roll history, he's got a signature sound and a signature look of course.

But again, nuGuns have more skillfull guitarplayers (technically). All they've got to do is prove their talent as songwriters and to release some music, even when it isn't their fault, that there isn't released anything

Edited by Free Bird

Bwahahaha. For the first time in its entire existence the band has an actual guitar god, and Lahey is dumb enough to question if they can survive without one? They made it 26 years perfectly fine without one, doofus; I'm sure they'll carry on if Ron leaves.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Bwahahaha. For the first time in its entire existence the band has an actual guitar god, and Lahey is dumb enough to question if they can survive without one? They made it 26 years perfectly fine without one, doofus; I'm sure they'll carry on if Ron leaves.

Word. I have seen them what 6-7 times since 2006 alone and they were still alive last time I checked.

All GnR needs to succeed is Axl.

End of story.

There's no GN'R without Slash, Duff and Izzy.

While you might believe that....heck, millions of people might believe it.......but tbh, I don't really think the name of a band is important, so I couldn't care less what people think the "real" GnR is.

I'm more interested in hearing material that Axl has helped create and that he is singing on. What the name of the band is really shouldn't matter.

A name is just a name. Nothing more.

The songs are all I care about.

I want to hear Axl singing. The rest if his band isn't that interesting to me.

All GnR needs to succeed is Axl.

End of story.

There's no GN'R without Slash, Duff and Izzy.

While you might believe that....heck, millions of people might believe it.......but tbh, I don't really think the name of a band is important, so I couldn't care less what people think the "real" GnR is.

I'm more interested in hearing material that Axl has helped create and that he is singing on. What the name of the band is really shouldn't matter.

A name is just a name. Nothing more.

The songs are all I care about.

I want to hear Axl singing. The rest if his band isn't that interesting to me.

I think that is how a lot of people feel, but I have comew to appreciate Fortus and Bumble, Stinson, what eves. Just really good music, and I thought that was what is is about, no?

Bumble and Bucket are the only guitar gods who ever played in GN'R.

do not say blatantly untrue shit. unlike bucketfoot, true guitar gods are respected and have a huge fanbase.

Bucket and Bumble are well respected by those that know them. Sure, they're not rock n' roll icons, but mastery of an instrument is about more than rock n' roll.

They're not gods, as slash or buckethead, but they are able to play on a professional level.

Slash is and always will be a GUITAR GOD. He is part of the universal culture. Everyone knows his name, his face, his top hat and his skills. He is one of a handful of people in human history that truly can claim the title GUITAR GOD.

Bumblefuck, Buckethead, Robert Finch, DJ Cashba..............they ain't shit. Not a single one of them are even known outside these forums and that's a cold hard fact.

As far as GNR and the term "guitar god" is concerned.......there is only one. Slash.

Suck it, haters.

Can New GNR exist as an artistic entity without a true guitar god? Looking back, it seems like it all ended artistically when Buckethead quit.

guns n roses post slash had a guitar god. his name isn't buckethead. his name is robin finck. guns n roses existed artistically with robin finck through the chinese democracy album, live shows, tours, mtv awards, and the better music video