Can New GNR exist as an artistic entity without a true guitar god?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do not say blatantly untrue shit. unlike bucketfoot, true guitar gods are respected and have a huge fanbase.

+100000

guitar gods aren't fuckin' nerds!!!

guitar gods do not make their living playing covers in karaoke bands :D

Do guitar gods play with Fergie? :\

do not say blatantly untrue shit. unlike bucketfoot, true guitar gods are respected and have a huge fanbase.

+100000

guitar gods aren't fuckin' nerds!!!

guitar gods do not make their living playing covers in karaoke bands :D

Apparently they do, and Michael Jackson, too.

sure they do. why the fuck not?

they play with michael jackson and ODB and Rihanna and the Strokes.

wassamatter? jealous cause bumblefuck and finch cant do that shit?

You're right lol, dumb of me to say that being that I think Slash is a beast. :P

Bumblefoot is the most talented guitarist Guns N Roses have ever had.

If you mean making a guitar sound like a star wars laser gun - yes. If you are talking about riffs to compliment Axl vocals/lyrics, I say hell no.

You have a valid point, yes.

He is a great technical player, no one can deny that.

But, similar to Buckethead, he has a very different style.

Personally I think he has an awesome talent, but opinions vary.

I say Richard Fortus rules. :P

If you mean making a guitar sound like a star wars laser gun - yes. If you are talking about riffs to compliment Axl vocals/lyrics, I say hell no.

I am almost willing to agree with you, but I will wait until I hear music Bumblefoot has helped write. I feel it is too soon to reject him based on his solo career and his contributions to already written songs off CD. There's no doubt he COULD do it, but I am afraid he lacks the proper attitude to write great rock and roll riffs, it is all just a bit cheesy and eclectic and too much notes. But I look forward to having to eat my words.

I just wish new music would be riff based, and not piano based. Axl is GREAT at adding vocal melodies and lyrics to riffs, it doesn't have to be the other way around.

I am almost willing to agree with you, but I will wait until I hear music Bumblefoot has helped write. I feel it is too soon to reject him based on his solo career and his contributions to already written songs off CD. There's no doubt he COULD do it, but I am afraid he lacks the proper attitude to write great rock and roll riffs, it is all just a bit cheesy and eclectic and too much notes. But I look forward to having to eat my words.

I just wish new music would be riff based, and not piano based. Axl is GREAT at adding vocal melodies and lyrics to riffs, it doesn't have to be the other way around.

Yeah, I'd rather pure riff rock n roll, but you gotta have one piano oriented song. well maybe not, but something like Coma atleast. It seems that Axl has always been a great inspiration for the other band members (new and old). He just has that ability to play something or sing something that sparks that one guitar solo or sound in whole. That's how I feel :)

Slash and Jimmy Page in the same sentence. :rofl-lol:

"November Rain" is the longest song to reach the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100.

The song is listed at number six in the The 100 Greatest Guitar Solos list by Guitar World.

Like him or not, Slash is a rock guitar legend and has had hits in the '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s and he's not done yet.

Considering the sheer number of memorable riffs and solos he's responsible for -- and as a clean & sober workaholic it's safe to say that his career will continue for years --- I think Slash and Jimmy Page's names can be used in the same sentence.

Slash and Jimmy Page in the same sentence. :rofl-lol:

"November Rain" is the longest song to reach the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100.

The song is listed at number six in the The 100 Greatest Guitar Solos list by Guitar World.

Like him or not, Slash is a rock guitar legend and has had hits in the '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s and he's not done yet.

Considering the sheer number of memorable riffs and solos he's responsible for -- and as a clean & sober workaholic it's safe to say that his career will continue for years --- I think Slash and Jimmy Page's names can be used in the same sentence.

Just so we're clear: Velvet Revolver, Snakepit, and Slash's solo albums cannot be used in the same sentence as Led Zeppelin. However, in the same sentence as Page/Coverdale- yeeeeah maybe.

Slash's right-handed picking technique, particularly his pick scraping/dragging style during solos, was a key component of Guns n Roses classic sound. Combined with his signature legato'd runs and adept riff writing, Slash carved a definable place in guitar god history. Nonetheless, I still think he's yet to crack Page/Blackmoore/Beck/Townshend territory in the pantheon of guitar deities.

Slash still owns a piece of the Guns n Roses name, in the hearts and minds of a significant percentage of the GnR fanbase. Whether that's a blessing or a curse has yet to be determined.

Edited by brainsaber

All GnR needs to succeed is Axl.

End of story.

There's no GN'R without Slash, Duff and Izzy.

While you might believe that....heck, millions of people might believe it.......but tbh, I don't really think the name of a band is important, so I couldn't care less what people think the "real" GnR is.

I'm more interested in hearing material that Axl has helped create and that he is singing on. What the name of the band is really shouldn't matter.

A name is just a name. Nothing more.

The songs are all I care about.

I want to hear Axl singing. The rest if his band isn't that interesting to me.

I think that is how a lot of people feel, but I have comew to appreciate Fortus and Bumble, Stinson, what eves. Just really good music, and I thought that was what is is about, no?

Oh, I like the band. And really hope Axl gives them a chance to stand on their own feet.

I just meant that I'm a fan because of Axl. I would buy his albums no matter who the backing band was.

But I would love for Axl to give the current guys a chance.