How Are Adler's and McKagan's Autobiographies?

ChristmasFnatic

Duff's book is the best, it's well written and inspiring. GNR is in there, he gives a candid appraisal of Axl, but it's more focused on his personal journey through addiction and how he's matured as a man.

Slash's book is interesting because of the topic and how contentious it is with Axl, but it's poorly written. It's mostly a retelling of events with not enough insight. I don't think Slash will ever be candid about Axl because of their estrangement, but the book has some revealing details in there.

I have not read Adler's book.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duff's good, Adler's shit, Slash's okay.

Duff's the best? Hmm I need to check it out then! :)

By far. And Duff wrote his himself :thumbsup:

But the overall best book about GN'R is 'Reckless Road', although not a biography but a tale about the first years of GN'R written by Marc Canter who were there. Really great.

All the books are worth reading, but to me the more interesting stories are before they were famous, and how they dealt with life after they were out of the band. Granted, once they had money, they prob. behaved badly, but they were behaving badly with no money. But Duff leaving Seattle right when grunge was starting, and going back when Seattle was a vastly improved city, and how important his family is to him, that was the crux of the book.

I think Adler's book was good, and it had some funny stories in it, but you just felt the doors shutting on him at a point in the book, and struggling to get through life.

Slash's book - I think if you read Anthony Keidis' book, can see the similarities between them and why they got into drugs. They might love their parents, but they did more to enable it than anything. You really don't get much in the way of dirt or much about Axl in any of the books, he seemed to keep his distance from the debauchery but was always present for it. They all make him out to be a good guy with tons of talent, but a loose cannon. Adler was pretty volatile though, and even though much has been made about the tension between Axl and Slash, there was way more volatility between Steven and Axl. Duff was down for a brawl, but wasn't the one starting the fights. The Howard Stern interview from that time is worth listening to, adding a few stories not in the book.

I mean, every great band has tensions and get into arguments over petty bullshit, they're no different.

waxl did much worse : he fucked over his friends and associates when he stole the gnr name :(

What does this have to do with this thread?

I never liked Adler anyway. I feel sorry for the real author of his book.

I've only read Slash's book, and I thought it was alright. I suppose all the four guys in the band experienced everything differently, and remember things differently.

I just find certain things very hard to believe in Slash's book - in the older days he could barely remember what he did the day before. He even says in his book he was drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels or whatever every day. 10 years later he can release a book where he remembers every detail, what was said and what was done. I just find it hard to believe.

I'm interested in reading Duff's book, just to get some perspective on things. I wouldn't believe a word in Adler's book. I hope Axl comes out with a book at some point (when he is 80 years old or something, not now).

- By the way, not GN'R related, but to those of you who like these kind of biographies from rock stars, I highly recommend Anthony Kiedis' (from red hot chili peppers) book called Scar Tissue. He grew up at the same time as Slash and co, same music scene, same place. A lot of parallels - And I personally liked that book a whole lot better.

Edited by Jeez

But the overall best book about GN'R is 'Reckless Road', although not a biography but a tale about the first years of GN'R written by Marc Canter who were there. Really great.

Oh yeah, I have that one. Great read for sure! Still waiting for Axl to release one. Now that would be interesting! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I have that one. Great read for sure! Still waiting for Axl to release one. Now that would be interesting! :thumbsup:

Few frontmen write books. It's just how things are I guess. Sting, Steven Tyler, Anthony Keidis, and Dave Mustaine did, but I think there has to be a good story for Axl to explore for him to want to do it. Bob Dylan picked periods in his career to write about, and I think if you're going to get a book by Axl, it would likely be along the lines of "Chronicles". Maybe Axl doesn't find his life interesting enough to make for compelling reading. Ask Del what he thinks of Axl writing a book, because if anyone would know, he would.

Yeah Im waiting for Axl's too. And DJ Ashba's!!!!!!!!!

Will Axl's Auto B. include Slash :D

..if so, what will Axl's side of the story sound like, should he decided to mention jumping out of a car..

Good point. Will his hatred refuse him to include Slash or will his hatred let him write about Slash then slander him to Hell?

I think Adler's book was good, and it had some funny stories in it, but you just felt the doors shutting on him at a point in the book, and struggling to get through life.

Agreed. IMO, that's the thing that separates Steven's book from the others. The way it was written, you can almost "feel" what he was going through.

Agreed. IMO, that's the thing that separates Steven's book from the others. The way it was written, you can almost "feel" what he was going through.

From original Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler comes a tale of sex, drugs, excess, hairspray and and intense 20-year struggle with addiction.

Guns N' Roses is one of the world’s most successful rock bands, with estimated sales of 90 million albums worldwide. Steven Adler is the original drummer, with an infamous past of sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll that led to his removal from the band.

And here, for the first time, Steven Adler tells it all. In My Appetite for Destruction, he reveals with wit and candour his personal struggles with drug addiction, including the financial ruin he faced after being kicked out of Guns N’ Roses and the health problems that almost claimed his life several times - two heart attacks, a suicide attempt, and a debilitating stroke, as well as an epic 20-year addiction to crack and heroin.

Now clean and sober, Steven sets the record straight on his life and his time with Guns N' Roses, during the rise and collapse of one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

I might check this out..

I don't really remember Slash's book. I read it in 2008, I think. Maybe 2009. Read it once and gave it to a friend, so I didn't get the repeat readings in the bathroom most books get.

I really liked Duff's book. There's not as much dirt as you might expect/want, but there's some interesting parts. He comes off really well, very likable guy, doesn't seem to want to throw other guys under the bus so he tends to be diplomatic about most things. The breakup of GNR, and him leaving, in particular doesn't get as much attention as I'd have expected.

Didn't read Adler's book, can't imagine it's much more than ghost written bitching about Axl.

Slash's book is better for the GN'R fan. He gives a lot of details and insight into the beginning of GN'R, and the beginning of the book is just really good.

Duff's book is the best in general, though. It's not just a well-written autobiography; it's an altogether well-written book. It works as a standalone and would be good even without Duff's name attached to it. Fantastic read.

Steven's was good, but it was really sad. You felt like you were the one going into the downward spiral.

I loved all three. Duff > Slash > Steven, though.

overall i'd say slashs was the most entertaining, duffs was well written, and adlers was written for retards. im surprised adler didnt draw half his chapters in crayons. slashs i just question how much is true and what his motive in writing it(besides the money OF COURSE), duffs was the only one i thought that didnt have an agenda and was just a self reflection, and adlers was once again written for retards who want to hear him whine about how unfair life is and how mommy was mean and slash is his best friend and how he was betrayed by everyone. personally i would LOVE for izzy to release one. his view of the whole thing would be a very interesting read especially because he was the first to jump of the sinking ship for many different reasons.

Duff's book is really great, couldn't stop reading. Very personal, but don't expect revealing GNR stories. Very well written.

Slash's book is fine, more GNR. But not as good and well written as Duff's book. Still worth reading.

Steven's book made me sad, although not written by him, knowing that, it makes it less trustworthy.

overall i'd say slashs was the most entertaining, duffs was well written, and adlers was written for retards. im surprised adler didnt draw half his chapters in crayons. slashs i just question how much is true and what his motive in writing it(besides the money OF COURSE), duffs was the only one i thought that didnt have an agenda and was just a self reflection, and adlers was once again written for retards who want to hear him whine about how unfair life is and how mommy was mean and slash is his best friend and how he was betrayed by everyone. personally i would LOVE for izzy to release one. his view of the whole thing would be a very interesting read especially because he was the first to jump of the sinking ship for many different reasons.

Supposedly Izzy wrote something, it doesn't mean it'll ever be released.

waxl did much worse : he fucked over his friends and associates when he stole the gnr name :(

What does this have to do with this thread?

I never liked Adler anyway. I feel sorry for the real author of his book.

I've only read Slash's book, and I thought it was alright. I suppose all the four guys in the band experienced everything differently, and remember things differently.

I just find certain things very hard to believe in Slash's book - in the older days he could barely remember what he did the day before. He even says in his book he was drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels or whatever every day. 10 years later he can release a book where he remembers every detail, what was said and what was done. I just find it hard to believe.

I'm interested in reading Duff's book, just to get some perspective on things. I wouldn't believe a word in Adler's book. I hope Axl comes out with a book at some point (when he is 80 years old or something, not now).

- By the way, not GN'R related, but to those of you who like these kind of biographies from rock stars, I highly recommend Anthony Kiedis' (from red hot chili peppers) book called Scar Tissue. He grew up at the same time as Slash and co, same music scene, same place. A lot of parallels - And I personally liked that book a whole lot better.

Thats what ive wondered, by that time slash was drinking very heavily and was doing stronger drugs, and had kind of become a mess (which is good that he sorted himself out years later). I think he had to have his own security guard so that he didnt get into too much trouble.