Does anybody else think Axl would be shooting himself in the foot by releasing the London 2012 show on DVD or Blu Ray?

Randy Lahey

How are the 2010 shows any different?, if your talking about member wise, then it's the same band. So how would releasing a 2010 show, cancel out the feeling that the 2002 VMAs gave, over a 2012 show?. In any case, I do agree that the Rotterdam show was a Killer show, awesome fans and Axl was on top form as was the band.

It's looking like we're getting a theatrical and home video release of a recent GNR concert. Not understanding how anybody is complaining. I'd imagine Izzy being a part of the show is a big reason why this event has gone from a webcast to a possible theatrical and home release. Even if a few obsessive internet fans strongly prefer the way Axl sounded a couple of years ago, the vast majority of the potential audience for a mainstream GNR release would prefer to see Axl with Izzy.

If the inclusion of a former member is the dealbreaker, the London show from 2010 with Duff would've been a great choice for release. Axl was on fire there.

The odds of Duff appearing again any time soon do not seem high. Izzy having some sort of part time future with the band seems more likely. Duff, Slash and Steven had their reunion earlier in the year and Axl and Izzy then had theirs. Axl and Izzy founded the band and wrote the vast majority of Appetite. With it being the 25th anniversary of Appetite, the recent Axl and Izzy reunion being released seems to make a lot more sense than releasing a show from a couple years ago.

That's actually a fair point. Carry on.

The odds of Duff appearing again any time soon do not seem high. Izzy having some sort of part time future with the band seems more likely. Duff, Slash and Steven had their reunion earlier in the year and Axl and Izzy then had theirs. Axl and Izzy founded the band and wrote the vast majority of Appetite. With it being the 25th anniversary of Appetite, the recent Axl and Izzy reunion being released seems to make a lot more sense than releasing a show from a couple years ago.

...or if they released the 10/14/2010 London show, they could just edit out the songs Duff performed on and replace them with the same songs performed the night before at the same venue without Duff on 10/13/2010

Seriously - that would be the easiest Blu Ray disc to make - just edit together the best performances from both nights and call it "Guns N' Roses Live in London" or something. Like how Queen's Montreal concert film was a composite of multiple nights.

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

The thing that always bugged me about the Tokyo 92 DVD set is the mixing. The drums sounded weak and you could hardly hear the rhythm guitar. The sound on this release seems to be perfect, it's about time GN'R puts out a DVD that showcases how awesome this band is live. People hating on Axl's voice need to take a rain check, he is in amazing form. I hope Axl's appearance on Kimmel is a way to promote the Vegas shows, the DVD and wait for it........ A new damn album, I don't care I'm gonna say it folks. Chinese Democracy 2 starts now!!!!!!...

The thing that always bugged me about the Tokyo 92 DVD set is the mixing. The drums sounded weak and you could hardly hear the rhythm guitar. The sound on this release seems to be perfect, it's about time GN'R puts out a DVD that showcases how awesome this band is live. People hating on Axl's voice need to take a rain check, he is in amazing form. I hope Axl's appearance on Kimmel is a way to promote the Vegas shows, the DVD and wait for it........ A new damn album, I don't care I'm gonna say it folks. Chinese Democracy 2 starts now!!!!!!...

Love that positivism and optimism! We need more of that here :D

I think it might be a mistake to release this right now, but not for the reasons you all have stated. How is this dvd going to stand a chance in hell when it is going up against the zeppelin dvd from the same venue? I just watched a bootleg of the zeppelin one, and OMG!!! It is going to piss all over the gnr one, sorry to say. I love gnr, current line up included, but it's Led Zeppelin people!!! 3/4 original members, and they really put on a great show. I was doubtful of how good it really is, but damn!!! It has mistakes in it, but on some songs they sound just as good as they did in 1975. ALL HAIL THE ALL MIGHTY ZEPPELIN!!!!

Plant can't really sing like he used to....

I think it might be a mistake to release this right now, but not for the reasons you all have stated. How is this dvd going to stand a chance in hell when it is going up against the zeppelin dvd from the same venue? I just watched a bootleg of the zeppelin one, and OMG!!! It is going to piss all over the gnr one, sorry to say. I love gnr, current line up included, but it's Led Zeppelin people!!! 3/4 original members, and they really put on a great show. I was doubtful of how good it really is, but damn!!! It has mistakes in it, but on some songs they sound just as good as they did in 1975. ALL HAIL THE ALL MIGHTY ZEPPELIN!!!!

He sounds awesome on some of the songs, including stairway, kashmir, trampled underfoot, and whole lotta love. I just watched bootleg of the whole show, so I can't image how good the actual dvd is going to be.

I'm just saying that releaseing a concert dvd around the same time at the same venue is a little risky. People like me will buy both, but if I had to choose it's the Zeppelin one all day. Watching that concert made chills go down my spine at times.

He sounds awesome on some of the songs, including stairway, kashmir, trampled underfoot, and whole lotta love. I just watched bootleg of the whole show, so I can't image how good the actual dvd is going to be.

I'm just saying that releaseing a concert dvd around the same time at the same venue is a little risky. People like me will buy both, but if I had to choose it's the Zeppelin one all day. Watching that concert made chills go down my spine at times.

I'm not a huge Zep fan so maybe that's why it don't bother me so much :shrugs:

@ Volcano,

I can respect that. Not every band is for everybody. Like I said in another thread I am a HARD ROCK fan not a METAL fan. SO I will always lean towards bands like gnr, zeppelin, ac/dc, and Van Halen. While I do like metal and some metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath, I do not consider myself a fan of these bands. No desire to go to their concerts. But I do own most of their respective catalogues. It is more of a respect and appreciate as opposed to being a "fan".

@ Volcano,

I can respect that. Not every band is for everybody. Like I said in another thread I am a HARD ROCK fan not a METAL fan. SO I will always lean towards bands like gnr, zeppelin, ac/dc, and Van Halen. While I do like metal and some metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath, I do not consider myself a fan of these bands. No desire to go to their concerts. But I do own most of their respective catalogues. It is more of a respect and appreciate as opposed to being a "fan".

Yep I hear what you are saying. Don't get me wrong I know Led Zep are a great band that did wonders for rock music.

When it comes to metal I use Pantera as an example....not so much into them besides a few songs but I know they are an amazing band!

the setlist has not changed much since 2002.

the core of the setlist is the same.the structure identical.

jungle,easy,brownstone opening,lead guitar segue into sweet child etc.

knocking on heavens door,pyro for live and let die.

ok,he has added some CDsongs and estranged,but in the BROADER PICTURE

it's same,same.

all the "moves" by the band are the same from show to show.

they are identically choreographed.

this isn't rock n roll./

this is "the setlist"

and "the show".

Edited by stumbleine

the setlist has not changed much since 2002.

the core of the setlist is the same.the structure identical.

jungle,easy,brownstone opening,lead guitar segue into sweet child etc.

knocking on heavens door,pyro for live and let die.

ok,he has added some CDsongs and estranged,but in the BROADER PICTURE

it's same,same.

all the "moves" by the band are the same from show to show.

they are identically choreographed.

this isn't rock n roll./

this is "the setlist"

and "the show".

Even if classic gnr reunited the set list would be pretty much the same every night, because gnr doesn't have as big of a catlogue to choose from. Maybe they could throw some TSI songs in, but why? Some of you bitch about them not playing certain songs from the illusions but really? The crowd didn't go crazy for bad obsession or pretty tied up back in 1992, so why would the crowd get all excited now? Sure Coma or breakdown would be nice, but they hardly played them back then. Get over it people!!!!

Edited by Mike420

MSL,you treat your opinions as facts and everybody else lies.

I don't lie to the community.

I voice my opinion.I don't delude myself that I speak in "facts".

I mean,dude,you seem to have a huge history with lying and bullshitting to the community.

all those emails,the songs in China or wherever...

but,I can also respect your contributions to the community.

you did the right thing with CD.

that's my story.

The set list has changed gradually. It's not exactly night and day comparing '01 to '12 though... but generally there's a fair distribution of songs from each album, usually around 7 appetite, 7 Cd, 7 UYI, 1 or two lies. However I can see how people would want more UYI thrown in.

Regardless as far as the DVD release, what could it hurt? Who really cares at this point other than us?

Isn't every show filmed? Just pick a good one and release it...how hard is that?

They did. It's coming soon ;)

Am I the only one who is excited about this? We use this forum daily for complaining about GN'R not releasing anything, no news. And when something leaks or something actually gets released, we still complain and don't think it's good enough. Only in GN'R land.

It's terribly disappointing when you factor in all the great shows from 2010 that they recorded. You'd have to be Ali to think that this London 2012 show sounded good.

How hard would it be for them to release a show where Axl sounds like this?

Not every show is filmed in HD, theres the difference.

All the 2010 shows were filmed in HD.

But the 2012 London show had more cameras than usual for the webcast. Kind of like how the Tokyo 1992 shows had ample cameras there specifically because the show was going to be recorded for release.

Source? I've never heard that before...

The side-screens at all the 2010 arena shows were HD resolution.

No, atleast not in south america, in 2011 they were in hd