Questions about Slash's departure

Vincent Vega

Hey Marc, a couple of questions about Slash's departure, as it will be 16 years since he left on October 31st....

1) How/when did you first learn that he was quitting? At the time, in '96, did he make it seem like it'd be a temporary quit until he and Axl could see eye to eye again--or did he intend on NEVER coming back as soon as he left in '96?

2) Were any people in Slash's inner circle (friends, family, etc) opposed to him leaving? Do you know of anyone on his side of the fence who tried to make him change his mind?

3) Do you remember Axl's initial reactions to Slash quitting, his emotions? How soon after Slash made it known he was leaving did Axl and you talk? Did he believe Slash would come back eventually or did he close the door on Slash ever returning the day he quit?

4) How did the other band members react, from your memory? Did Duff, Matt or Dizzy attempt to talk Slash out of it and get him back?

5) Were there any concrete plans (like concrete plans for a tour or an album release) that were put on hold/cancelled/delayed at the time because of Slash exiting? Like for example, did GN'R plan to tour in 1997 before Slash had quit? Was there enough material for a new album release before he quit?

Hey Marc, a couple of questions about Slash's departure, as it will be 16 years since he left on October 31st....

1) How/when did you first learn that he was quitting? At the time, in '96, did he make it seem like it'd be a temporary quit until he and Axl could see eye to eye again--or did he intend on NEVER coming back as soon as he left in '96?

2) Were any people in Slash's inner circle (friends, family, etc) opposed to him leaving? Do you know of anyone on his side of the fence who tried to make him change his mind?

3) Do you remember Axl's initial reactions to Slash quitting, his emotions? How soon after Slash made it known he was leaving did Axl and you talk? Did he believe Slash would come back eventually or did he close the door on Slash ever returning the day he quit?

4) How did the other band members react, from your memory? Did Duff, Matt or Dizzy attempt to talk Slash out of it and get him back?

5) Were there any concrete plans (like concrete plans for a tour or an album release) that were put on hold/cancelled/delayed at the time because of Slash exiting? Like for example, did GN'R plan to tour in 1997 before Slash had quit? Was there enough material for a new album release before he quit?

I thought it would be a temporary quit and I'm sure Slash thought that the band would not be able to go on with out him. I'm sure he thought that the band was over until they would somehow come to some kind of agreement. So he did his Snake Pit thing for the time being( the band needed a break anyways) and probably thought that it would work it's self out with the time off.

Axl was not happy with Slash leaving, it was a big blow to his plans for the new GNR record. We did talk about it many times and I talked to Slash about it and Slash felt that he had no choice. Slash and Axl had different ideas on who was going to be in the band and what kind of songs were going to be on the record and how the record was going to be made. There was no way he was going to come back and do things Axl's way and there was no way Axl was going to do things Slash's way. Axl was willing to do 3 or 4 of the songs that Slash had but that was not enough to keep Slash around. There were too many other terms that Slash couldn't live with. A Axl solo record I thought would have been a good idea to give Axl all the freedom he needed and I bet Slash would have played on it. That may have saved that lineup if that happened.

I don't know how the other band members reacted, I never talked to them about it. I'm sure they thought it was not going to work without Slash and hung on hoping they would work it all out after the Snakepit tour. Slash was such a big part of their sound, guitar playing and image.

Axl wanted to make a huge record and then do a big tour to promote it. I'm not sure he knew what he wanted but, he did know what he didn't want. There were no plans set for the record to come out. I'm sure that would have been set after the record was finished. I don't know how many songs that Axl had to work on. The only thing I know that there were 3 or 4 that Axl liked that Slash had.

Edited by recklessroad

Technically Mark wasn't it Axl that left the original partnership.

He left with the name, set up a new entity - called it Guns N' Roses, then offered the guys to join him as "employees".

My understanding was that Slash and Duff still remain to this day in the original partnership. Did Slash and Duff actually ever "sign on" as employees in Axl's new entity?

He left with the name, set up a new entity - called it Guns N' Roses, then offered the guys to join him as "employees".

My understanding was that Slash and Duff still remain to this day in the original partnership. Did Slash and Duff actually ever "sign on" as employees in Axl's new entity?

Duff did but I don't think Slash ever did. I don't know for sure all the details about the way the partnership went or who left first.

Duff did but I don't think Slash ever did. I don't know for sure all the details about the way the partnership went or who left first.

That's interesting if Duff joined but Slash never did.

So really under those circumstances it was Axl that left Slash not the other way around, yet Axl is the one with the abandonment issues. :crazy:

I read in Slash's book, Keith Richards tried to convince him to stay. They were friends and talked about it in a bar or something.

When the beginning of nuGuns in 98-99 was going on, had you been talking to Axl, and did he seem happier once they were creating songs in the studio? Just wondered if there was a point when Axl seemed happier about how things were going for him.

He did seem happy working with Robin around 1998

When the beginning of nuGuns in 98-99 was going on, had you been talking to Axl, and did he seem happier once they were creating songs in the studio? Just wondered if there was a point when Axl seemed happier about how things were going for him.

Marc, what do you know about the re-recording of AFD with the 1998 lineup?

And what happend with Brian May's collaboration on Chinese Democracy and other non-released material?

And what happend with Brian May's collaboration on Chinese Democracy and other?

The re-recording of AFD was something that I didn't support and I let Axl know that at the time.(You can't fuck with a masterpiece) I don't know what happened to the Brian May stuff and maybe someday the non-released material will come out on a record or maybe some kind of box set?

And what happend with Brian May's collaboration on Chinese Democracy and other?

The re-recording of AFD was something that I didn't support and I let Axl know that at the time.(You can't fuck with a masterpiece) I don't know what happened to the Brian May stuff and maybe someday the non-released material will come out on a record or maybe some kind of box set?

What reason did he give on re-recording it? It would've made sense if he went to another label and did it.

The Axl Rose Interview With Kurt Loder From MTV

NOVEMBER 8, 1999

Kurt Loder: You re-recorded "Appetite For Destruction?"

Axl Rose: Yes, I have.

Loder: The whole album?

Axl Rose: Yes.

Loder: Whoa.

Axl Rose: Well, with the exception of two songs, because we replaced those with "You Could Be Mine," and "Patience," and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that.

Loder: Who are the musicians who have re-recorded "Appetite?"

Axl Rose: Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar -- you guys know him as Paul Huge, that's how it's been written everywhere. It's Paul Tobias on guitar, and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, but that... that will stay on some of it. Robin's guitar will stay on some, but not all. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out. But you know, it has a lot of energy. Learning the old Guns songs and getting them up, you know, putting them on tape, really forced everybody to get them up to the quality that they needed to be at. Once the energy was figured out by the new guys, how much energy was needed to get the songs right, then it really helped in the writing and recording process of the new record.

The Axl Rose Interview With Kurt Loder From MTV

NOVEMBER 8, 1999

I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out.

My question is, did he really know what he was going to do with it, and what he told Marc the plans were. If it's the same thing, fine. When Kurt Loder goes "whoa", he knew what Axl was planning. Slash and Duff took Axl to court, so who knows what the fate of those tapes are.

What a waste of studio time that was.

When you take into account how much a band can get to have their music in a big budget movie? Easy money.