KISS - Monster

Cosmo

I've always wondered this but don't post in a place where people wouldn't be biased (non- KISS and GnR forums). But I think you fit into the right category to answer this, JB: Ace X Slash.

Ace or Slash? Well, for me, both are probably the most influential players on my guitar playing. Here's what I think though:

Ace - Studying his guitar playing teaching you nearly all of rock's most recognizable licks. He's pretty sloppy by nature but that's just how he plays. When he's on, he's on, and he can deliver a killer solo. I think he peaked solo wise on Rock N' Roll Over and Love Gun. You've got to love his crazy over bends and wild vibrato. Always nailed a solo that fit the songs.

Slash - More technical skill by far. Obviously he has that unmistakable feel. He's more adventurous than Ace (Ace always more or less stuck to the same vocabulary of Chuck Berry licks, whereas Slash played around with some more exotic modal scales, for example). His solos are a little more "developed" too, if that makes sense. Almost a mini-composition whereas Ace's were very much just in the rock n' roll spriit. Granted, Slash has some of those too, but doesn't always stick to it. Take Sweet Child for example - you probably wouldn't hear Ace do something like the first half, but the second half after the fast run? Not out of the question.

I don't really prefer one to the other. Which ever solos you like more is just down to personal preference. If you put a gun to my head - Slash wins overall, but still, both are incredibly influential.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered this but don't post in a place where people wouldn't be biased (non- KISS and GnR forums). But I think you fit into the right category to answer this, JB: Ace X Slash.

Ace or Slash? Well, for me, both are probably the most influential players on my guitar playing. Here's what I think though:

Ace - Studying his guitar playing teaching you nearly all of rock's most recognizable licks. He's pretty sloppy by nature but that's just how he plays. When he's on, he's on, and he can deliver a killer solo. I think he peaked solo wise on Rock N' Roll Over and Love Gun. You've got to love his crazy over bends and wild vibrato. Always nailed a solo that fit the songs.

Slash - More technical skill by far. Obviously he has that unmistakable feel. He's more adventurous than Ace (Ace always more or less stuck to the same vocabulary of Chuck Berry licks, whereas Slash played around with some more exotic modal scales, for example). His solos are a little more "developed" too, if that makes sense. Almost a mini-composition whereas Ace's were very much just in the rock n' roll spriit. Granted, Slash has some of those too, but doesn't always stick to it. Take Sweet Child for example - you probably wouldn't hear Ace do something like the first half, but the second half after the fast run? Not out of the question.

I don't really prefer one to the other. Which ever solos you like more is just down to personal preference. If you put a gun to my head - Slash wins overall, but still, both are incredibly influential.

i really enjoyed this post. both great players

Yes, I agree with this.

Exactly how I feel. Love 'em both for what they are. But yes, if I had to chose, it'd probably be Slash.

Yeah great post, agreed.

Exactly how I feel. Love 'em both for what they are. But yes, if I had to chose, it'd probably be Slash.

Haha, snap also.

But then factor Tommy Thayer in...

Joke!