What's your internet speed?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it was the best option I could get in my apartment. It didn't cost more than maybe 10 dollars extra to go from 25MB/s to 100.

Fair enough, I would have done the same thing then. Also, prices are obviously much different for us in different countries and stuff, too.

I get my internet free, so I don't care either way :lol:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Of course you don't get it for free. The company providing the broadband wants pay for it. It may be included in your rent or something, but it's definitely not free.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Yeah, so it's privileged in your contract, usually made because it's cheaper for them to pay car and bills tax wise. You'd have gotten a higher salary without it. Nothing here in life comes for free.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

What I meant was that they rather give you extra things like this than a higher salary, because they have to pay more tax and charges on the salary. That's how it is in Sweden anyway.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Wow. I'm glad I don't live there. You can get 25mbps ADSL in pretty much all of Sweden here and fibre connections in all cities and a good part outside of the cities as well.

In 2006 there was some report from OECD that showed that Sweden has got the cheapest broadband in the world. I remember seeing some report saying we had the third fastest average broadband as well, after Latvia and Japan (if memory don't fail me).

Sky broadband is slow but cheap (if you have a bundle including TV).

Really, I would hardly say that 20MB is slow, if anything it is quite fast for UK standards, even when I was in halls in first year the connection would only just about hit 25MB. The only people I know with faster connections are ones with fiber optic, but for me at Uni 20MB is fine between three people and for the price of Sky it is well worth it.

When I am at home I get about 2MB max but my parents don't really want to change as they are happy with the speed.

From what I've heard you're lucky as hell of you get anything close to the "up to" speeds with Sky, all I meant is that they're not supposed to be as forthcoming with the real speeds as other ISPs. That said, I've never used them myself.

At my new house that I've just moved into I get a 30Mb connection for £25.50 with no "line rental".

Sky broadband is slow but cheap (if you have a bundle including TV).

Really, I would hardly say that 20MB is slow, if anything it is quite fast for UK standards, even when I was in halls in first year the connection would only just about hit 25MB. The only people I know with faster connections are ones with fiber optic, but for me at Uni 20MB is fine between three people and for the price of Sky it is well worth it.

When I am at home I get about 2MB max but my parents don't really want to change as they are happy with the speed.

From what I've heard you're lucky as hell of you get anything close to the "up to" speeds with Sky, all I meant is that they're not supposed to be as forthcoming with the real speeds as other ISPs. That said, I've never used them myself.

At my new house that I've just moved into I get a 30Mb connection for £25.50 with no "line rental".

Thats true, when my housemate first moved in at the beginning of summer we were getting shit speeds, he kicked up a fuss about it and now we're getting 20MB for £15 per month. You just need to be firm with them when they are giving you shit speeds and they will up it to what is advertised, surprising how few people actually do that.

Telefonica own O2 in the UK I think. O2 internet is actually pretty good over here. :)

:max: That's not fair.

Move to the UK then. :kiss:

(...and check your twitter!)

@Totts: glad to hear you're getting decent speeds now. Makes you wonder why things are so slow in the first place..

Edited by Aaron_H

Telefonica own O2 in the UK I think. O2 internet is actually pretty good over here. :)

:max: That's not fair.

Move to the UK then. :kiss:

(...and check your twitter!)

@Totts: glad to hear you're getting decent speeds now. Makes you wonder why things are so slow in the first place..

I think its because they try and get away with giving you the bare minimum they can speedwise, all broadband is now advertised with "Speeds up to" meaning if it isn't that fast the company isn't liable. A few years ago Virgin got sued as it promised 30Mb broadband in its advertising campaign but many locations were unable to get that speed. Now many people are happy with the speed they have and/or don't want the hassle of trying to get it improved. My housemates opinion was that we were paying for xMb speeds so either increase our speed or reduce out bill in accordance and it worked.