Interview with Brain Mantia

loko

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the media has a lot of fun criticizing the need for three guitar players, so imagine that plus two drummers. :lol:

I don't think it would have been good for press. Interesting idea, but I'm kind of glad it didn't work out. Brain seems like a very cool guy and very respectful.

I'm glad to hear Axl at least entertained the idea of playing Chi Dem live. Would've been nice. Two drummers would've been great. Nobody will ever play AFD better than Adler or Brain at Rio, however.

"We did the first show at Rock in Rio. We rehearsed for probably two or three months without Axl. Our first show’s Rock in Rio and I thought, ‘Wait, what’s it going to sound like with Axl? Where is Axl? Oh here’s his helicopter coming in.’ The first time I ever played a real show with him was in front of 250,000 people! I was thinking, ‘How’s this song supposed to start again?’ Because some he was supposed to cue but we never had a verbal conversation on whether he would or I! - Brain

how f-cked up does that sound..

Edited by vaida

"Axl’s always treated me really good. Even when I left ..." :thumbsup: Brain

"But I’m still doing stuff, I’ve done some remixes for him. He’s always been good with me. I know he’s got his reputation and I’ve seen it and that’s what makes him Axl Rose. He’s running the whole ship. He’s got a lot of pressure and there’s a lot of freaks trying to take s*** from him." Brain

"But I’m still doing stuff, I’ve done some remixes for him. He’s always been good with me. I know he’s got his reputation and I’ve seen it and that’s what makes him Axl Rose. He’s running the whole ship. He’s got a lot of pressure and there’s a lot of freaks trying to take s*** from him.

"He was trying at one point even on this last tour, he was calling saying, ‘Hey, would you want to do a double drumming type thing where you play all of the new songs, Chinese which are a little more technical and let Frank do more of the rock stuff from the older days’. I was considering it. I don’t know if Frank wanted to do that and I didn’t want to put him in that position. And I didn’t know if I wanted to do the Grateful Dead thing with two drummers.

"But he was talking about having this rotating drums thing where it’s, ‘Hey, ok we’re playing ‘I’m Sorry’ from Chinese, the drum thing twirls and Brain’s playing, ok we’re playing ‘Welcome To The Jungle’, it twirls back and Frank’s playing’. It never rolled, I’m not sure they had the budget and Frank might not have been 100% into that. He’s the drummer now and I felt weird about that."

Will the remixes ever see the light of day ?

The 2 drummer thing sounds freaky.. musicians on turn tables.. they'd need a huge one to accommodate every GN'R member that's ever been - I guess that would be Ultimate GN'R

Why do they still call them "new" songs...

I'm guessing he's talking about 2009. The "last tour" being from then till now.

Huh, never thought about it like that.

Seems like that to me anyway. Before the Taiwan show there were still some speculations to who was going to be the drummer. Axl was asked about it in the online chats just after the album was released, and he didn't really have a good answer. He was probably then trying to figure things out, which fits with what Brain are telling us now.

EDIT:

It was in the interview with Del at the beginning of 2009.

So you have two drummers? Will they both tour?

Yes, and who knows?

Edited by Spirit

"But I’m still doing stuff, I’ve done some remixes for him. He’s always been good with me. I know he’s got his reputation and I’ve seen it and that’s what makes him Axl Rose. He’s running the whole ship. He’s got a lot of pressure and there’s a lot of freaks trying to take s*** from him.

"He was trying at one point even on this last tour, he was calling saying, ‘Hey, would you want to do a double drumming type thing where you play all of the new songs, Chinese which are a little more technical and let Frank do more of the rock stuff from the older days’. I was considering it. I don’t know if Frank wanted to do that and I didn’t want to put him in that position. And I didn’t know if I wanted to do the Grateful Dead thing with two drummers.

"But he was talking about having this rotating drums thing where it’s, ‘Hey, ok we’re playing ‘I’m Sorry’ from Chinese, the drum thing twirls and Brain’s playing, ok we’re playing ‘Welcome To The Jungle’, it twirls back and Frank’s playing’. It never rolled, I’m not sure they had the budget and Frank might not have been 100% into that. He’s the drummer now and I felt weird about that."

Will the remixes ever see the light of day ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpowX-51bMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fslrM4Y2Mc&list=UUfd-iRX8stbHJqZ9yhMsf-Q&index=1&feature=plcp

I'm glad to hear Axl at least entertained the idea of playing Chi Dem live. Would've been nice. Two drummers would've been great. Nobody will ever play AFD better than Adler or Brain at Rio, however.

"We did the first show at Rock in Rio. We rehearsed for probably two or three months without Axl. Our first show’s Rock in Rio and I thought, ‘Wait, what’s it going to sound like with Axl? Where is Axl? Oh here’s his helicopter coming in.’ The first time I ever played a real show with him was in front of 250,000 people! I was thinking, ‘How’s this song supposed to start again?’ Because some he was supposed to cue but we never had a verbal conversation on whether he would or I! - Brain

how f-cked up does that sound..

Why in the world wouldn't he rehearse with the band? It is mindboggling.

Imagine what an amazing amount of music we would have today as fans, if Axl took his music career seriously.