Does Axl really believe it?

alfa75

Marc,

Let me just start by saying I am not bagging on Axl or the new band, but at times there seems to be a bit of delusion an Axl's part regarding Nu-Guns versus Original Guns. For the record, I like CD and this is not a reunion thread, as I think that ship has sailed a long time ago.

For all his talk about moving on, surely he realizes that since 1994 Sympathy for the Devil release, all the collective new versions have released 14 songs (versus Original Guns over 60 in 6 years (inc covers) and of the current members, most were not even around for the process or writing of CD. When the band plays live, the setlist is comprised of over 75 percent of pre CD stuff written with "those other guys"; That is hardly touring to support the new album; He speaks about "we" when we referring to the new band in the past tense. "we " opened for Ted Nugent, or "we" played the rose bowl, or etc. If I am not mistaken, "we, is Axl + the old and not these guys who never did any of those things with Axl.

I mean, if post Slash n Duff there was a real body of work to validate this belief that this is the GnR that he believes in, maybe the past lineup could be relegated to a great band from the past and not the "Real GnR". As it stands, you have a very limited output, which the vast majority of people would agree is not anywhere near as significant as AFD-Lies-UYI,which it appears Axl would confirm judging by the set lists.

He talks about moving on, but when the other guys (Adler excluded) play live, they play MOSTLY post Guns material, not what was written over 20 years ago with Axl, etc. Also as a student of great rock bands past, Axl surely understands the chemistry of bands like Queen, Zep, Stones, Aerosmith etc and how there has always been a core group defining those band, creating their signature sound.

So when we hear Axl hold up the current version as "the real GnR" or comparable or as significant than the old lineup, it just seems either delusional or if he is in denial. Is it just a matter of having gone so far down this road, that admitting otherwise would just be too much of a loss of face?

Thanks

That's kind of my point. How can anyone forget about the old lineup and take subsequent lineups seriously if you hardly release any new music and you play mostly the old stuff? And all those bands you mentioned still play those earlier songs with a core group of members who created them. Not the case with NuGnr.

Isn't a bit difficult to hear all of Slash's signature guitar work every night on SCOM, WTTJ, NR, Estranged etc and then try to promote a guy like DJ Ashba (no dis respect) who has not contributed a single note to GnR catalog?

It's always better to see the people that wrote the music play it. I think In this case Axl thinks he had no choice but to more on and put together a new band. Maybe he thought that he would make new music and wouldn't have to do too much of the old? Also Axl's plan was to make new music with Slash and takeover the world with it. When Slash didn't want to go along with Axl's plan, Axl went to plan B

Edited by recklessroad