Who could possibly act as a bridge?

alfa75

The royalties were paid back to ASCAP almost immediately. The lawsuit was settled outside court confidentially in, about November 2008. Presumably Slash and Duff were compensated for the Sanctuary/Black Frog deals for an unspecified amount.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there was also something else involved regarding merchandising and Merck using old band images on new band t-shirts. This is when Axl used the term, 'merkiness'.

Have you noticed the timing when it was settled, Nov 08? It is reasonble to presume Interscope gave Axl an advance against the release of Democracy to eradicate the Slash and Duff legal battles.

hi marc

Do you ever try to get in touch with Axl to mend your own friendship - do you try periodically to give him a call or something? Or are you resigned to it at the moment? Who's your bridge - is there anyone?

& did he ever tell you that he was angry at you back in 06? or did he just not answer your calls..

sorry if this is too personal...

thanks

PS first post on this forum, i've been on htgth for 12 years and always felt out of place . seriously diggin' this place

In 2007 Beta was the one who told me how Axl felt. Every time I have something to say about those old days is a set back to fixing our friendship. So since I'm proud of what I witnessed and what I promote, until Axl sees it different, he is not going to talk to me. I guess if I stopped promoting my work and told Axl I was wrong for doing what I do and pretended not to like the old band anymore and told him that he is right and Slash is evil, maybe we could be friends again. It's fucked up and there is nothing I can do to fix it. I do hope that one day before we both die that Axl will see that there was nothing wrong with the work that I did and the fact that I needed to promote it.

In 2007 Beta was the one who told me how Axl felt. Every time I have something to say about those old days is a set back to fixing our friendship. So since I'm proud of what I witnessed and what I promote, until Axl sees it different, he is not going to talk to me. I guess if I stopped promoting my work and told Axl I was wrong for doing what I do and pretended not to like the old band anymore and told him that he is right and Slash is evil, maybe we could be friends again. It's fucked up and there is nothing I can do to fix it. I do hope that one day before we both die that Axl will see that there was nothing wrong with the work that I did and the fact that I needed to promote it.

Hi Marc,

Have you ever thought of promoting GNR post 2000? In Axl's mind he's probably offended because he might assume you no longer have interest in his band which is his life. He might even be hurt by it.

Edited by volcano62

Hi Marc,

Have you ever thought of promoting GNR post 2000? In Axl's mind he's probably offended because he might assume you no longer have interest in his band which is his life. He might even be hurt by it.

Oh shut up.

The sad thing is, Axl benefits so much from the release of Reckless Road. Fans can read lots of interesting things about Axl in the old days; fans can see excellent 'rock n' roll' snaps of Axl in the old days which show just what a dynamic performer he was - is; people can read Axl's speeches and see the danger and charisma of the man. Reckless Road can only contributes to making Axl look better (or more specifically, revealing how great he was 1985-7 to people who did not witness those club years). If Axl had any sense he would have added an introduction and promoted the book like Slash, Steven and Duff (who also benefit from the book's publication). It is a win win situation for Axl which he has jettisoned.

The sad thing is, Axl benefits so much from the release of Reckless Road. Fans can read lots of interesting things about Axl in the old days; fans can see excellent 'rock n' roll' snaps of Axl in the old days which show just what a dynamic performer he was - is; people can read Axl's speeches and see the danger and charisma of the man. Reckless Road can only contributes to making Axl look better (or more specifically, revealing how great he was 1985-7 to people who did not witness those club years). If Axl had any sense he would have added an introduction and promoted the book like Slash, Steven and Duff (who also benefit from the book's publication). It is a win win situation for Axl which he has jettisoned.

Yes thats all true but you forgot that it also shows off Slash. Thats a buzz Kill.

Marc: at the risk of beating a very very very dead horse, do you think Slash owes Axl a public apology?

Because at the end of the day, for the last decade the situation is: the media and the majority of the public love Slash and think Axl is a jerk. At you can trace alot of that back to Slash's trash talking in the late 90s/early 00's and his book. Plus, alot of Slash's trash talk was the result of miscommunications (e.g. the signing away name) - and even the bunch of true stuff between them arguably shouldn't have been aired in public (and although it's understandable, Slash probably owes an apology).

So don't you think Slash, having pretty much destroyed Axl's rep, should be pretty damn apologetic?

(I know Axl has said some probably worse stuff about Slash, but it's mostly retaliation and it fails because nobody really listens or cares)

Slash did some trash talking that he should not have done. Axl also did some much latter and said some things that were harsh. They were both angry at each other for difference reasons, which is the real problem here. Neither one really knows or understands how the other one feels.

I'm kind of over all the politics affecting my enjoyment of GN'R. But Slash did ridicule Axl pretty regularly in the years when Axl couldn't really say anything in the media until Chinese Democracy was out. Slash knew that the media would keep trying to ridicule Axl if they could, yet kept giving them opportunities to do it. Even if Axl could forgive Slash for that somehow, it is undeniable that it altered circumstances in ways that have made it A LOT harder to ever reconcile.

Yeah, but I wouldn't classify that as unforgiveable.

Nor any worse than:

Flaunting a picure of his ex wife on the official GNR twitter after she publicly crucified him

Pumping the love of his life full of drugs to the point where she almost died (Steven); who he forgave at one point

Izzy stating Axl never got pussy in school, getting personal and petty, and stating he wasn't fooling anybody touring with the name; who he forgave

Duff making statements how Axl should have called current "GNR" something else, talked shit in the press, went along with lawsuits, stated Axl was running a dictatorship; who he forgave

Slash made statements how Axl became a control freak, talked no more harshly than the others guys had post departure zomg what a fucking MONSTER!!!!

I just don't understand what Slash did that was so wrong and unforgiveable compared to Erin, Steven, Duff, and Izzy; all who he forgave to a point.

I have a theory which basically just comes down to Axl being stubborn and petty in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Bobbo

Izzy stating Axl never got pussy in school, getting personal and petty, and stating he wasn't fooling anybody touring with the name; who he forgave

Yes, in an edition of Classic Rock. This was - by miles - the worst thing an ex-member has ever said about W. Axl Rose. It makes Slash's, 'he wanted to make a NIN record', look benign and trivial. Izzy got really personal in that interview, really nasty. Yet a few years later, Izzy is on stage with Axl while Slash is branded a 'cancer'. Doesn't make any sense?

The hatred dished out to Slash seems disproportionate; there is this massive chasm between what Slash actually said and Axl's hatred.

Maybe things were said and done that haven't been made public?

I also wonder if perpetuating a public feud with Slash serves a purpose with the label wranglings too. If the powers that be got a whiff of there being a chance that he would work with Slash or get on a stage with him the way he has done with Duff and Izzy any support there is for the current line up would vanish. I think all this not in my lifetime/cancer stuff helps keep the wolves at bay.

Nor any worse than:

Flaunting a picure of his ex wife on the official GNR twitter after she publicly crucified him

Pumping the love of his life full of drugs to the point where she almost died (Steven); who he forgave at one point

Duff making statements how Axl should have called current "GNR" something else, talked shit in the press, went along with lawsuits, stated Axl was running a dictatorship; who he forgave

Slash made statements how Axl became a control freak, talked no more harshly than the others guys had post departure zomg what a fucking MONSTER!!!!

I just don't understand what Slash did that was so wrong and unforgiveable compared to Erin, Steven, Duff, and Izzy; all who he forgave to a point.

I have a theory which basically just comes down to Axl being stubborn and petty in the grand scheme of things.

He is not a fuckin monster. He just is a brighter star than Axl and his carreer went upwards after GNR while Axl's went downhill. And this is called jealousy. All the other guys he forgave do not outshine him. That's why his is big hearted with them.

Nor any worse than:

He is not a fuckin monster. He just is a brighter star than Axl and his carreer went upwards after GNR while Axl's went downhill. And this is called jealousy. All the other guys he forgave do not outshine him. That's why his is big hearted with them.

Congrats on trolling one of Marc's dear friends. You guys are unbelievably rude and remorseless.

For me this is the most plausible explanation. Otherwise as BOBBO pointed out there is no reasonable excuse to particularly hate Slash unless something big happened that we don't know about. And Axl hasn't talked about something like that.

About the trolling. Go look at your previous post in this thread and think again...

Yes, in an edition of Classic Rock. This was - by miles - the worst thing an ex-member has ever said about W. Axl Rose. It makes Slash's, 'he wanted to make a NIN record', look benign and trivial. Izzy got really personal in that interview, really nasty. Yet a few years later, Izzy is on stage with Axl while Slash is branded a 'cancer'. Doesn't make any sense?

The hatred dished out to Slash seems disproportionate; there is this massive chasm between what Slash actually said and Axl's hatred.

At the end of the day, I think it's the fact that Slash is responsible for Axl's bad reputation. The content may be less bad than Izzy etc., but the effect has been 10000% worse. Imagine, every time he reads a bad review about himself or read some mention of himself its almost always in the context of being a crazy, maniac, dictator, and you can trace a fair back to Slash - it'd enrage you beyond belief.

He works for 16 years on a record, abandoned by Slash and ridiculed in the media, only to have the release of his album probably covered in reviews going "no Slash". Can't tour guns without constant calls for reunion.

Meanwhile Slashis releasing books with more stuff making him look bad, doing Guns songs everywhere etc. starting VR.... The dude is a cancer in his life, and he hates him because he probably points to him as the main source of shit-ness in his life.

Slash obviously didn't mean to do any of this, was just kind of negligently complaining about Axl, not realising how much it destroys Axl's life when he does so. He's stopped now, but it's too late, it's happened. And so it's a fucked situation! As Marc has said.

Ah well.

For me this is the most plausible explanation. Otherwise as BOBBO pointed out there is no reasonable excuse to particularly hate Slash unless something big happened that we don't know about. And Axl hasn't talked about something like that.

About the trolling. Go look at your previous post in this thread and think again...

I did not insult anybody in my last post.

Nor any worse than:

True. That's why Axl hates Slash. Being that old and still bitter, it makes me feel sad for Axl. Poor guy.