Slash's visit to Axl's house

Vincent Vega

Marc:

As a guy who has been friends with both Axl and Slash for many years, I have to ask:

What do you know of what actually went down when Slash visited Axl's house in October 2005?

We know Slash stopped by, drunk, likely driven by Perla. That is by his own admission, though he first denied it.

Slash claims he simply delivered a note to Beta asking Axl to work out issues surrounding a lawsuit.

Axl claimed Slash stopped at his house and went into a tirade about how Axl had "won" the war between them, how Duff was "spineless" and Scott Weiland was a "fraud."

Slash said in his autobiography that Axl's claims caused a lot of tension and distrust toward Slash in Velvet Revolver, and possibly played at least a small part in that band's demise.

So: What happened, as far as you know? How did both sides tell it to you, if they did; What did you hear?

Axl's response to Slash's visit perplexes me. For years, we have heard Axl wants Slash to apologize for things he said / did. And, Slash, as Marc verified, has no idea what to apologize for. So, why Axl didn't take that opportunity to at least start communication or tell his side of the story baffles me. Just seems like a wasted opportunity...

I guess that makes sense. However, Axl comes across as way to intelligent to not comprehend the possibility that what he thinks are lies could actually be Slash's interpretation of the truth. People do often see things differently as we all know. Marc, I actually feel badly for you in a sense. I am sure you got caught in the middle of a lot of "Slash said this," or "well, Axl did this," conversations. That has to be so frustrating to see two close friends who had the world at their fingertips throw it all away over egos and misunderstandings....

I guess that makes sense. However, Axl comes across as way to intelligent to not comprehend the possibility that what he thinks are lies could actually be Slash's interpretation of the truth. People do often see things differently as we all know. Marc, I actually feel badly for you in a sense. I am sure you got caught in the middle of a lot of "Slash said this," or "well, Axl did this," conversations. That has to be so frustrating to see two close friends who had the world at their fingertips throw it all away over egos and misunderstandings....

And most importantly musical differences.

I think we all often forget the musical differences were a huge part of the split. Slash commented in his book something along the lines of he was willing to do a more modern / industrial album but only if everybody had the same creative input instead of it being only Axl's vision. Too bad they couldn't compromise on the direction, whatever it would have been. Did you hang out with Slash much from 96 to 2000? He mentioned that period after Guns and before VR were some pretty dark days for him...

Slash being drunk when he went probably didn't help. It obviously angered Axl immensely for him to release the statement he did. There's no doubt that Slash said all those things, and all of VR knew it. That band never really seemed cohesive after that, just seemed like they were going to finish the album and go through the motions.

You have to wonder if Slash had arrived sober, without Perla, if things might've gone differently...

Slash being drunk when he went probably didn't help. It obviously angered Axl immensely for him to release the statement he did. There's no doubt that Slash said all those things, and all of VR knew it. That band never really seemed cohesive after that, just seemed like they were going to finish the album and go through the motions.

You have to wonder if Slash had arrived sober, without Perla, if things might've gone differently...

no doubt? really? care to provide proof?