They're making Star Wars Ep. 7... WTF

ThomasMeadow

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And many of the fans that are enraged by Lucas' bastardization of the franchise will spend all their money on the ticket, the individual Blu-Ray, the new box set with all 7 episodes, and then the even newer box set with all 7 episodes...IN 3D!!!

In fairness this could actually be a good thing. Imagine a Star Wars film without the involvement of George Lucas? :o Fuck me it might actually have a script! :lol:

As long as Hayden Christensen doesn't star this one...

Both good points, actually. If you see footage behind the scenes of the orinials, Lucas got shot down a lot. New ones, everyone stares at him blankly while he outlines why Jar Jar Binks is important.

Bearing in mind Disney bought Marvel and that turned out pretty well with the Avengers and the related films, I am cautiously optimistic about this.

I thought they just bought distribution rights, but I guess I'm wrong?

Either way I think a new Star Wars movie is a cert with this deal. No way they're gonna spend nearly 5 billion on a studio then not make the most of its most valuable property.

Wow. This should be interesting although I don't know how an 'Episode 7' is going to work. Maybe if it's set centuries after Jedi but even then it would be far enough removed from the original 6 that naming it 7 would be pointless.

Set it a few years after Jedi with Luke in the Obi Wan jedi master role and go from there. Pretty simple isn't it? :shrugs:

Disney buys Star Wars maker Lucasfilm from George Lucas

_51606573_fa1d16c0-9c6c-4f82-b0b8-ab66ddd94f78.jpg

Disney is buying Lucasfilm, the company behind the Star Wars films, from its chairman and founder George Lucas for $4.05bn (£2.5bn).

Mr Lucas said: "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of film-makers."

In a statement announcing the purchase, Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.

That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said.

The last Star Wars film was 2005's Revenge of the Sith, and Disney said it believed there was "substantial pent-up demand".

Disney will pay about half in cash and half in stock, issuing 40 million Disney shares in the transaction.

"Our valuation of Lucasfilm is roughly comparable to the value we placed on Marvel when we announced that acquisition in 2009," Disney said, adding that the valuation was almost entirely driven by the Star Wars franchise.

The first Star Wars film was released in 1977.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas.

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Bearing in mind Disney bought Marvel and that turned out pretty well with the Avengers and the related films, I am cautiously optimistic about this.

Either way I think a new Star Wars movie is a cert with this deal. No way they're gonna spend nearly 5 billion on a studio then not make the most of its most valuable property.

If we're talking about the Lucasfilm deal here the Disney bought everything including ILM and Skywalker Sound, not sure about the specifics of the Marvel deal though.

If we're talking about the Lucasfilm deal here the Disney bought everything including ILM and Skywalker Sound, not sure about the specifics of the Marvel deal though.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I thought they only had distribution rights, like blu-rays, etc.

Wow. This should be interesting although I don't know how an 'Episode 7' is going to work. Maybe if it's set centuries after Jedi but even then it would be far enough removed from the original 6 that naming it 7 would be pointless.

Set it a few years after Jedi with Luke in the Obi Wan jedi master role and go from there. Pretty simple isn't it? :shrugs:

I guess. It just seems to me that the 6 films clearly encompass the life of Anakin Skywalker and his demise so anything not featuring that character would feel kind of tacked on. Like an epilogue of sorts.

I suppose if it's not just 7 but 7,8,9 then the series could quickly become much bigger than that story arc.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I thought they only had distribution rights, like blu-rays, etc.

They own it all.. characters, comics and the movie studios.

On August 31, 2009, The Walt Disney Company announced a deal to acquire Marvel Entertainment for $4.24 billion, with Marvel shareholders to receive $30 and about 0.745 Disney shares for each share of Marvel they own.[35] The voting occurred on December 31, 2009 and the merger was approved.[2][36] The acquisition of Marvel was finalized hours after the shareholder vote, therefore giving Disney full ownership of Marvel Entertainment.[37] The company was delisted from the New York Stock Exchange under its ticker symbol (MVL), due to the closing of the deal.

So I guess the deal with Lucasfilm is more or less identical to the previous one with Marvel.