Exclusive: Axl Rose Interview

Un42nutzly

I asked Groghan for his thoughts, then you supply a different person's thoughts. How did that in any way clarify Groghan's view? Are you arguing with me for the sake of arguing with me? Do you even disagree with my original statement? Can you even remember now why you chose to take things in this direction? Just trying to keep yourself busy while we wait for Groghan's thoughts? Odd behavior on your part.

I was supporting Groghan's POV. Your original statement or question was asking for proof of Axl blaming others for problems. I only followed the direction that you initially posed in your question to Groghan. I could be wrong, but I'll suspect that Groghan would agree with the points I've made in response to your question.

I'm curious to know though why you think it's better to hide behind vague criticisms rather than point out specific examples of Axl blaming others for things you believe are his fault.

If I'm taking this in a different direction, why were you lumping Groghan and I together in your previous post?

I do have some gripes though. He is still putting a lot of the blame on the old lineup.

He blames Duff/Slash for his writer's block.

He says they and Izzy brought him guitar parts and expected him to just write lyrics, and they didn't all work as a unit in studio. But honestly, Axl showed up so late after the band had been dicking around and wasting time in the studio for how long? I recall them saying he'd sometimes show up several hours late at like 3 or 4 in the morning. I'd like for once to hear him say it's his fault also.

Edit: Not to mention he pushed to record in Chicago then didn't show up for weeks.

You may be completely missing the point of Axl's words - possibly on purpose, because that ain't hard fo understand. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe he didnt show up because he knew that they'd say 'that sucks, Axl, you suck' and because his confidence was hurt? Claiming how he did not show up doesnt add nothing to the discussion - in fact sounds like yet another desperate cupcake attempt.

Regarding the Seymour thing, I guess you people never had friends or girlfriends. I'll give you an easier example so you may understand now. Lets say Im a footballer and I in fact listen to my girlfriend more often than I list to people that I work with - she is hurting my confidence claiming how I'm not doing well, how I cant score goals at all, and on top of that, my team mates tell me that the team isnt doing well because I'm the one to blame. My confidence is already hurt because my girlfriend made me feel bad, and now my two best friends go on claiming that I suck. If im not in good spirits I might even not show up for training sections and games.

See? Easy to understand.

I was very happy to see Axl doing more press. Like others said, I definitely would have liked a follow-up question to his answer regarding Steph, Slash and Duff though. Something that would have provided a little bit of context. And the old issue of Axl not taking any blame on for the band issues. It'd be nice if he did. Him saying he knows he's late a lot isn't really conceeding anything.

Downzy -

Groghan's point of view is that Axl blames others for EVERYTHING. That is clearly not true as there are tons of things he hasn't blame on other people. So why do you agree with something that is untrue?

You may be right that there are tons of things that he hasn't put on the blame on to others, but it still doesn't disproove the fact that he doesn't take blame for anything.

I haven't read one acknowledgement in where he actually ever said that he was to blame, it always was because of something or someone else. He has a way of explaining things so that it looks as if everything happens to him, without him being the reason for the things him happening to him. He has never acknowledged that his own actions could have lead to his situations.

If you can disproove my argument, I'd gladly read it.

I do have some gripes though. He is still putting a lot of the blame on the old lineup.

He blames Duff/Slash for his writer's block.

He says they and Izzy brought him guitar parts and expected him to just write lyrics, and they didn't all work as a unit in studio. But honestly, Axl showed up so late after the band had been dicking around and wasting time in the studio for how long? I recall them saying he'd sometimes show up several hours late at like 3 or 4 in the morning. I'd like for once to hear him say it's his fault also.

Edit: Not to mention he pushed to record in Chicago then didn't show up for weeks.

You may be completely missing the point of Axl's words - possibly on purpose, because that ain't hard fo understand. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe he didnt show up because he knew that they'd say 'that sucks, Axl, you suck' and because his confidence was hurt? Claiming how he did not show up doesnt add nothing to the discussion - in fact sounds like yet another desperate cupcake attempt.

Regarding the Seymour thing, I guess you people never had friends or girlfriends. I'll give you an easier example so you may understand now. Lets say Im a footballer and I in fact listen to my girlfriend more often than I list to people that I work with - she is hurting my confidence claiming how I'm not doing well, how I cant score goals at all, and on top of that, my team mates tell me that the team isnt doing well because I'm the one to blame. My confidence is already hurt because my girlfriend made me feel bad, and now my two best friends go on claiming that I suck. If im not in good spirits I might even not show up for training sections and games.

See? Easy to understand.

Now to put that in another perspective. That girlfriend and you have a destructive relationship, it could have been brought on by your behaviour towards her. Why should she compliment your writing when you're the one that's treating her like sh#t., it just goes in circles of negativity back and forth towards you and your girlfriend. You're team mates have a strategy planned out, but you're the only one that's wanting to use a different strategy, you even lost one of your principal teammembers (Izzy) because you wanted a higher percentage of the team income. Not only that, you're not a team player because you show up late every single time, which gets on the nerves of the rest of the team, and rightfully so. Because even the fans are rioting in the audience, because of your refusal to be punctual. Your team is pretty fed up with your behaviour, and rightfully so, because you're not working as a team you're doing as you please without any regard for anyone else. YOUR actions lead to these reactions, you just don't acknowledge it. You're just sitting there saying: "everyone is treating me or has treated me like this, and I haven't done anything to deserve this."

Edited by The Black

It's more that Axl got blamed and then like any normal human being said well hold what about these junkies over here, surely they can't be offering much help. that whole post AFD period seemed very intense. To go from nothing to superstars and then know everyone wants to see you fail, and you have every known drug available every night and day. they never really got established, they made a great start but then a few hurdles in the middle.

Saying that he was naive is a form of blaming himself

I disagree.

He prospected a different outcome, but that outcome didn't come to fruition because "They got success and wanted to run in their own directions. I thought they'd go, 'Whoa, it did work.' But they wanted to do their own huge bigger success off of Guns."

Once again "they" dit it.

The Black -

But that is a truthful assessment. It happens in a lot of bands. The band makes it big and then the members who weren't the biggest contributors to the creative direction want to then go solo to prove they're being held down. Are you disputing that was a factor in the demise of the classic lineup?

MSL, are the recent insights by Axl, similar to what is found in his autobiography that you have? I know you cant/not allowed to go into details, but is it along the same lines just more in depth?

The Black -

But that is a truthful assessment. It happens in a lot of bands. The band makes it big and then the members who weren't the biggest contributors to the creative direction want to then go solo to prove they're being held down. Are you disputing that was a factor in the demise of the classic lineup?

Not at all. I do believe that in some way every member it to blame for the demise of the band.

But it's also due to every single members tolerance, attitude, belief and way of interpreting things.

Not in any way do I want to be rude to you about this, but just to proove a point: say somebody calls you overweight and laughs. A person can have many different ways to react to this, like:

- Laugh it off (whatever)

- Maybe reverse with a counterargument. Finally both parties end up agreeing/disagreeing with eachother, but still maintain peace.

- Overreact, infuriated and hold a (lifelong) grudge.

It's all down to the person's personality. Just one thing that I am stating is that Axl never concludes that he is to blame for anything, it's always down to something or someone else.

Great to see Axl doing more interviews.

Should lose the blaming everybody else for everything that goes wrong thing though.

No kidding. How do you think this comes across to most people?

50 year old Axl just blamed an ex girlfriend who dumped him 20 years ago for his inability to write songs...I mean I sorta get mentioning Slash and Duff (par for the course for him) but to blame a chick who he hasn't seen in 2 decades in a national interview...Odd.

He was talking about that period of life douche! DONT TRY TO TWIST HIS WORD YOU IGNORANT FUCK!

I think he means that former members went out of their way to interfere with his ability to continue his career while he made no attempt to interfere with them continuing theirs.

So how can it be up to him to have a truce when he's the one being attacked by others and isn't the one doing the attacking?

At this point, I think it's way too late for apologies. He survived the war, he's moved on. No need for a truce as his enemies finally ran out of ammunition and gave up.

Apparently, Perla has not given up.

The odds of a Guns truce: "I feel that ball's not in my court. I'm surviving this war, not the one who created this war."

I wonder what he really means by that. Is he waiting for apologies? Does he wants the "war" to end?

I think he means that former members went out of their way to interfere with his ability to continue his career while he made no attempt to interfere with them continuing theirs.

So how can it be up to him to have a truce when he's the one being attacked by others and isn't the one doing the attacking?

At this point, I think it's way too late for apologies. He survived the war, he's moved on. No need for a truce as his enemies finally ran out of ammunition and gave up.

It seems like he's made a truce with Izzy, Duff, and even Steven (until he started talking shit aain). I think it's only Slash left right?

Not at all. I do believe that in some way every member it to blame for the demise of the band.

But it's also due to every single members tolerance, attitude, belief and way of interpreting things.

Not in any way do I want to be rude to you about this, but just to proove a point: say somebody calls you overweight and laughs. A person can have many different ways to react to this, like:

- Laugh it off (whatever)

- Maybe reverse with a counterargument. Finally both parties end up agreeing/disagreeing with eachother, but still maintain peace.

- Overreact, infuriated and hold a (lifelong) grudge.

It's all down to the person's personality. Just one thing that I am stating is that Axl never concludes that he is to blame for anything, it's always down to something or someone else.

Axl doesn't speak publicly very often. A lot of the things he is asked about when he does speak publicly are: What took so long with Chinese? Why did the classic lineup breakup? Why is he often late on stage? Why hasn't there been a reunion?

He often accepts blame for some of those things and also often blames others for some of those things.

But, as much as he is hammered, there is no need for him to harp on what he's to blame for as everyone already assumes the worst about him. If he's going to take the time to speak, it's his chance to explain how others are responsible as well. He sits there silent most of the time while so much negative shit is blamed on him.

If people are going to take the position that he blames EVERYTHING on other people, they should provide specific examples of him unfairly or inaccurately blaming others for things that are his fault.

It's OBVIOUS that he's partially to blame for being late, or the album taking a long time, or the classic lineup breaking up, or there not being a reunion.

BUT, most NEVER consider that there are/were a LOT of factors that AREN'T his fault. So what is wrong with him defending himself the few times he chooses to speak?

He's had a significant portion of his career sabotaged by labels, former members, managers, promoters, etc. He sat in silence while a lot of fucked up shit was done to him.

So expressing some of the reasons others are to blame does not mean he doesn't accept any blame. Everybody already knows he played a role, but most people have no idea the role others played. He should continue to bring attention to it. The perception of him and his actions is so insanely inaccurate that it would be ridiculous for him to answer those questions without honestly bringing up the roles others played.

I definetly am willing to accept your statements, but he still hasn't ever acknowledged his part of the blame. That's the key problem, even though even you state it's obvious that he's partially to blame for things. You state he accepts blame, but he doesn't, he just gives another reason for it, which is still not by his willing or doing.

Like when on that TMS interview he was asked about being late, his body language and manner of speaking was like a deer being caught in the headlights. He can't simply say: yes it's my fault. He gives vague reasons without any substantial evidence as to why one particular gig was late. He then says he worked at the grocery store and was also late. But he still doesn't give the reason for always being late.

Even having said this, I'm not sticking up for Slash in particular saying he's a saint and Axl is the bad guy. Like I concluded earlier I beleive they all had part in the demise.

Edited by The Black

Axl, many many times, has admitted publicly that he's had trouble being on time for anything his entire life.

How is that not taking the blame?

It seems like he's made a truce with Izzy, Duff, and even Steven (until he started talking shit aain). I think it's only Slash left right?

A truce is when two sides agree to stop attacking.

How do you have a truce when only one side was attacking? All those years Slash lied about Axl and Axl said nothing, how could Axl be responsible for a truce when he wasn't doing anything?

And now that Slash ran out of steam, why is a truce even needed?

He still puts being late down due to a reason. Is that reason carelessness?

Maybe he can't fully explain it and that's why he can't give a reason. He knows he's in the wrong, but he himself won't acknowledge and accept that fact. I beleive he can't acknowledge his own wrongdoing, therefore he perceives he's not to blame.