Commissioner, women’s shelter call ad for Guns N’ Roses concerts ‘inappropriate’

gunsguy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what the point of using that old artwork was. Hanging that image in a public place is obviously going to be offensive to some people, and if you don't think so you are being deliberately obtuse.

Frankly, it just makes the GnR name look even more like a dinosaur, a throwback to the sexist hair metal eighties.

I don't see what the point of using that old artwork was.

My guess is...

It's called "Appetite for Democracy", so they used the artwork from Appetite with the wall painted like the Chinese flag. Sort of a representation of the name of the residency. I can understand why they didn't use the skull cross with the likeness of the old lineup.

If you watch the video above, they make a good point about all the other "inappropriate" advertising around Las Vegas, and why the GN'R one all of the sudden is singled out.

My guess is...

It's called "Appetite for Democracy", so they used the artwork from Appetite with the wall painted like the Chinese flag. Sort of a representation of the name of the residency. I can understand why they didn't use the skull cross with the likeness of the old lineup.

If you watch the video above, they make a good point about all the other "inappropriate" advertising around Las Vegas, and why the GN'R one all of the sudden is singled out.

I don't think nudity is an issue in Vegas, but implied rape would be an issue anywhere.

The door hangers at the hard rock are gone, the bus wrap advert is gone and now this:

A60IGYnCMAA1V41.jpg

thx to

@trujillo310

seems they are removing a bunch of stuff because of this shit

something beautifully ironic with the democracy part in 'appetite for democracy' and a part of the image being censored/removed., and add to that the chinese flag symbol behind the removed part and it really is fucking hilarious

Edited by Gunns

something beautifully ironic with the democracy part in 'appetite for democracy' and a part of the image being censored/removed., and add to that the chinese flag symbol behind the removed part and it really is fucking hilarious

Uh what exactly do you think 'democracy' means?

Thats fukn sucks .. U can get a hooker in vegas but GnR cant show a boob on a ad?

Prostitution is not legal in Vegas.

Perhaps not legal there but you can walk down the street and hookers give you a card to call them later... It may not be legal but it is VERY open

Did the Hard Rock actually do that, or did a bunch of local feminists get up on a ladder and do it themselves? Looks horrible.

Street signs are still up, I hope.

You can get a hooker anywhere, but people go to Carson City and Pahrump. I guess truck drivers, military, and guys who don't get laid at Burning Man go. You'll usually see big rigs parked there.

Edited by dalsh327

Since the first time I saw the artwork decades ago, I've never thought of it as depicting a sexual assault. However I can understand that others would think it was, and I was really surprised when I learned the Hard Rock would be using it to promote the residency. If it was considered unacceptable for an album cover in the 80's, why would anyone think it's now acceptable plastered all over the place in public? With the increased empowerment of women and heightened protection of children, that sort of imagery is less tolerated now than it was 25 years ago.

My guess is...

I don't think nudity is an issue in Vegas, but implied rape would be an issue anywhere.

Exactly.

Did the Hard Rock actually do that, or did a bunch of local feminists get up on a ladder and do it themselves? Looks horrible.

Street signs are still up, I hope.

You can get a hooker anywhere, but people go to Carson City and Pahrump. I guess truck drivers, military, and guys who don't get laid at Burning Man go. You'll usually see big rigs parked there.

Did the Hard Rock actually do that, or did a bunch of local feminists get up on a ladder and do it themselves?

What a stupid comment.

So, I just read they're removing all of the ads in Vegas today. Unreal.

This type of shit is exactly what's wrong with this country. Of all the real problems that exist in this world you have groups of corporations who are busy over-analyzing music lyrics, posters, video games, movies, TV, etc. to try and stir shit up by bringing awareness to an issue that really isn't even a big deal. If there's even the slightest chance something could be construed as controversial and become the source of bad publicity all these companies just fold up and give in and remove these things just because it's easier than fighting for something that nobody actually had any problem with up until a week ago. How many times must this artwork have gotten looked over before it got approved to use in ads all over Vegas? Hundreds. And all it takes is for one activist group to find something that could be construed as sexist or racist or whatever and that's the end of it. Shit like this truly aggravates me.