Top 10 favorite sitcoms

GivenToFly

My brothers always bangin' on about Infernal Affairs but i never got round to watching it, apparently it was the original of The Departed...which don't make sense to me cuz i thought The Departed was about Whitey Bulger. Is it any good? :)

Fantastic movie and yes it is the movie that Scorsese based The Departed on.

Guest Len B'stard

Ross is the most unfunny person on TV. That's all I'm saying.

I'd take Ross over Joey any day. Joey must be the most terrible character in TV history. Nothing he does is funny. I almost punched my TV in frustration when I saw that episode where one of the girls is trying to teach him French and he just babbles nonsense. I can't believe they even gave that character his own show. It just proves how fucking stupid people are.

I'd take Auschwitz Birkenau over either of em :lol: Point me to the fuckin' showers!

Edited by sugaraylen

Which makes it worse because things don't translate well from one language to another, you're effectively getting like...a broad translation of whats been said and something thats perhaps employing a little intelligence, the crux of the thing is in the vagaries, the details, the things that get lost in translation basically. For example like, i can understand urdu if not speak it ever so well but when i watch something on TV in urdu with English subtitles they are always very...off kilter?

Say something is like, rhyming or whatever, done in verse, if you translate the shit to another language it ain't really gonna work in the same way, is it? I'm sure it's the same with Spanish too, like if you watch something in Spanish in English subtitles they don't quite nail it i'm sure.

But all that aside, without meaning to offend, how many times on this forum have you found yourself talking to someone English and perhaps not quite understanding what they meant? And i don't mean me because apparently i'm unintelligible but i've seen it myself, quite often in fact, on this forum, you going "i don't know what you mean" to something that, to me, seemed pretty plain to understand. I'm not having a go at you or anything i'm just trying to illustrate my point, hope i didn't offend you or anything.

No, you didn't offend me. My English is really bad and limited, I'm pretty aware of it... but yours is worse and you have no excuse. :D

But when I see something subtitled it has nothing to do with a dubbed thing. I know original versions are better but, at least, we have great people and great actors working at dubbing. There are a lot of people trying to find the best way to say things so they keep the original meaning of the story. :shrugs: I can't explain but it's not as horrible as you think!

Suffice to say your English is probably better that my Spanish. Lets have a go shall we?

Hola! Hola senorita, que pasa? Uh...yo tengo la gasolina? :lol: Mes que un club! Ummmm, Touche senor pussycat! Yeah, i think thats my lot :lol: I know puta, i know maricon...ummm, spanish, spanish, whats spanish? Siesta, Fiesta, Granada, Sierra Madre, Rio Grande, Rio Ferdinand!

How'd i do? :D

:rofl-lol: Not that bad... but call me "puta" and we'll have a problem!

Guest Len B'stard

Any fans of Tony Hancock, he was fuckin' hilarious. Speaking of that, did you hear about Leonard Rossitter Dazey?

Which makes it worse because things don't translate well from one language to another, you're effectively getting like...a broad translation of whats been said and something thats perhaps employing a little intelligence, the crux of the thing is in the vagaries, the details, the things that get lost in translation basically. For example like, i can understand urdu if not speak it ever so well but when i watch something on TV in urdu with English subtitles they are always very...off kilter?

Say something is like, rhyming or whatever, done in verse, if you translate the shit to another language it ain't really gonna work in the same way, is it? I'm sure it's the same with Spanish too, like if you watch something in Spanish in English subtitles they don't quite nail it i'm sure.

But all that aside, without meaning to offend, how many times on this forum have you found yourself talking to someone English and perhaps not quite understanding what they meant? And i don't mean me because apparently i'm unintelligible but i've seen it myself, quite often in fact, on this forum, you going "i don't know what you mean" to something that, to me, seemed pretty plain to understand. I'm not having a go at you or anything i'm just trying to illustrate my point, hope i didn't offend you or anything.

No, you didn't offend me. My English is really bad and limited, I'm pretty aware of it... but yours is worse and you have no excuse. :D

But when I see something subtitled it has nothing to do with a dubbed thing. I know original versions are better but, at least, we have great people and great actors working at dubbing. There are a lot of people trying to find the best way to say things so they keep the original meaning of the story. :shrugs: I can't explain but it's not as horrible as you think!

Suffice to say your English is probably better that my Spanish. Lets have a go shall we?

Hola! Hola senorita, que pasa? Uh...yo tengo la gasolina? Mes que un club! Ummmm, Touche senor pussycat! Yeah, i think thats my lot I know puta, i know maricon...ummm, spanish, spanish, whats spanish? Siesta, Fiesta, Granada, Sierra Madre, Rio Grande, Rio Ferdinand!

How'd i do?

Not that bad... but call me "puta" and we'll have a problem!

puta puta puta puta puta, whut, whatcha gonna do, come on then, lets take it outside, what?!?! p-p-p-p-p-p-ooooooooooooootaaaaahhhhhh!

(sorry, just messin :lol:)

El major delito del hombre es haber nacido...there, thats some more Spanish i know! Gonna stop now, i'm derailing here

On topic: Tony Hancock anyone? :lol: (yes please, in a half pint glass if you don't mind!)

Yes, that's right... except for one little detail: I watch everything in Spanish, not in the original version. :lol:

So it's simplistic and shite and not even in the original language then? :lol:

Basically yes. But really, it's not that bad! :unsure: And Friends is not shit, it's a really good show. :max:

I think the telenovela format would work in the US, because they just put them on for a year and they're done.

Regarding the guy who equated early Two and a Half Men,etc with Nickelback...

I've never got this sort of logic...I can certainly understand not personally liking that show or band...the abject hatred for both by many seems really odd though and almost culturally conformist to me. I mean not liking either is one thing, but when so many people act like it's the pit of the earth you have to ask yourself what the F is going on here? Either are worse than many other things in the public but both have many haters...my theory is some people are just easily duped into hating whatever is the current fad to hate without logic to differentiate the subject from many other things. Fucking lemmings imo.

Two and a Half Men is crap. All the jokes revolve around Sex. He can't get his dick up - oh, hahaha. He is thinking of his mum when he's screwing a chick - oh, hahaha. He screwing a surfer girl called Summer - oh, hahaha. Boring , unimaginative writing.

Give me some fuckin' Soup Nazi anyday !!!

Chuck Lorre ripped a few pages out of "About A Boy" and built it around Charlie Sheen. It became a no-brainer money maker and I just think the show became mind numbingly dull for Sheen. He's a frustrated baseball player where acting comes natural to him. He's not into it like Sean Penn, who enjoys acting and directing, or Johnny Depp, where he has his options of doing mainstream and quirky movies.

I just think Sheen snapped and wanted out once syndication money was coming in, wanted to go back to doing movies again, and prob. will.

I only like British comedies. I hate the term 'sitcom' because to me it denotes American half hour programs with lots of canned laughter to indicate when you are supposed to laugh. I guess I just like the British sense of humour, which would maybe indicate why I find Dazey and Lenny so funny and some of you out there don't. Different type of humour.

Comedians are a special breed. It takes real intelligence and an unusual take on the world to really make people laugh. What an amazing and satisfying talent it would be to have. It's the fastest way to many a girl's heart IMO. :)

I only like British comedies. I hate the term 'sitcom' because to me it denotes American half hour programs with lots of canned laughter to indicate when you are supposed to laugh. I guess I just like the British sense of humour, which would maybe indicate why I find Dazey and Lenny so funny and some of you out there don't. Different type of humour.

Comedians are a special breed. It takes real intelligence and an unusual take on the world to really make people laugh. What an amazing and satisfying talent it would be to have. It's the fastest way to many a girl's heart IMO. :)

What British comedies you like?

Absolutely Fabulous

Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Fawlty Towers

The Inbetweeners

Father Ted

Benny Hill

Are You Being Served?

One that was on ABC last year and I can't for the life of me remember the name

The Worst Week Of My Life

Can't remember any more but there's heaps.

Absolutely Fabulous

Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Fawlty Towers

The Inbetweeners

Father Ted

Benny Hill

Are You Being Served?

Well duh. Anyone that doesn't find those sitcoms funny should be shot. Especially Some Mothers.

Guest Len B'stard

I usta have this mate who did a bang on Frank Spencer right, like spot on. Anyway, i usta work in Sainsburys (supermarket) and my mate, it's his last day, leaving and that so he bowls over to the tannoy and goes, in his best Frank Spencer "good afternoon, this is a customer announcement, aisle 13 we have melons, big melons...and uh, ooh, they're goin cheap, Betty, how much for ya melons?" and just this weird fuckin' like...Frank Spencerish ramble, i can't even remember it, something about stickin' a cucumber between your melons and just all this shit and done a legger, was SOOO fuckin' funny, to hear it over a tannoy you'd think it was the real thing (yes, cuz there's a real Frank Spencer, eh Len? :lol:) The fuckin' look on this old biddies face, honestly it was fuckin' priceless.

Edited by sugaraylen

Different type of humour.

Or lack thereof.

Says the guy who thinks the pinnacle of comedic endeavor is a knuckle dragging meathead screaming at himself alone in a darkened room? :rolleyes:

Edited by Dazey

Or lack thereof.

Ooh, what is that? A smart arse remark? Hang on a minute, weren't you the guy who started a 'This is how a forum works' thread? Instructing all forum users against the indulgence of derailing and generally being smart arses. Hmmm, yes that's what I thought. A touch of hypocrisy there, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Absolutely Fabulous

Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Fawlty Towers

The Inbetweeners

Father Ted

Benny Hill

Are You Being Served?

Well duh. Anyone that doesn't find those sitcoms funny should be shot. Especially Some Mothers.

No need to be an arrogant fucker. You were the one who asked the question, I wasn't even going to list any but did so because you asked. There's no right or wrong answer when you ask someone what they like. :shrugs:

But since we're on the topic I forgot to add Little Britain, The Office (UK only!) and Extras. Still can't remember the name of the show I saw last year on the ABC. It was great though.

Or lack thereof.

Ooh, what is that? A smart arse remark? Hang on a minute, weren't you the guy who started a 'This is how a forum works' thread? Instructing all forum users against the indulgence of derailing and generally being smart arses. Hmmm, yes that's what I thought. A touch of hypocrisy there, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Absolutely Fabulous

Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Fawlty Towers

The Inbetweeners

Father Ted

Benny Hill

Are You Being Served?

No need to be an arrogant fucker. You were the one who asked the question, I wasn't even going to list any but did so because you asked. There's no right or wrong answer when you ask someone what they like. :shrugs:

But since we're on the topic I forgot to add Little Britain, The Office (UK only!) and Extras. Still can't remember the name of the show I saw last year on the ABC. It was great though.

If you like those then try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka-s4yXGC_A

It's really fucking good and a joint US/UK production. Matt LeBlanc is actually really fucking funny for once. :)

Also I cannot believe I forgot about The League of Gentlemen. Fuck, I'm going to have to bump one of my choices.

That was good, very good! It is unusual to see Matt Le Blanc actually being funny for once. Maybe the greyer he gets, the funnier he gets.

(Dazey I'm pretty sure The League of Gentlemen was in your original list too, if I remember correctly). :)

Nope. On checking it wasn't but it should have been. :) Watch that episode I've linked to on youtube though. It's awesome. :)