Is Axl too real for people to make sense of in this cynical internet era?

Randy Lahey

Is Axl too real for people to make sense of in this cynical internet era? I've noticed he's getting a lot of flak online for his comments about Slash, Steph and Duff destroying his songwriting confidence. The thing people don't seem to realize is that not everybody is thick skinned and can shake off negative remarks from others. Some people replay those negative remarks over and over in their heads until the point of self paralysis, and It seems pretty obvious that Axl is one of those people who does that. So when Axl says they destroyed his confidence, he's not lying or trying to blame others, he's telling it like it is for him.

People can't accept brutal honesty, it's too confronting when it goes against their predetermined beliefs of what they considered to be the truth.

Axl had a very difficult life coming up. Many similar artists could not cope with what he has and ended their lives prematurely, either through outright suicide or through excessive substance abuse (Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Layne Staley, John Bonham, Bon Scott, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, etc.)

When he speaks, he says what he feels, regardless of what others may think. It's a large part of what made him popular in the first place. He deserves more respect than he gets, for sure. Especially from many "fans" of his band.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

I think people will only accept the psychoanalysis if you package it up and go on a chat bring out a self help album like Shady. It's like everyone has been pigeon holed. Being a rock star has been defined. It's a job. Kid Rock does his and does a lot of work for charity.

You have to be like yoga in this day and age. Deep and shallow. Yes it's a hard discipline of the mind but you are also just doing a lot stretching around chicks in leotards.

I think people will only accept the psychoanalysis if you package it up and go on a chat bring out a self help album like Shady.

That's true. It would be better if Axl could verbalize it all in hip hop form. Maybe Axl could get Shady to do it for him on the still unreleased/unrecorded If The World remix?

Edited by Randy Lahey

You need a funky beat to hang all the woe on. Madagascar is a pretty good example. But you need Rhianna and a book deal to really get the idea across. It needs to be spelled out on TMZ, or a tv show like On the couch with Axl Rose. Celebrity quacks chat with Axl about his problems. Like Family Jewels with Gene.

I can't imagine Axl sitting down with Dr. Drew.

Axl: I was molested and beaten as a child.

Drew: Axl, that's classic addict behavior. You need to sign up for Season 11 of Celebrity Rehab.

maybe that's why people don't care or get annoyed if people bring up. Even in everyday life no one cares about your problems. I guess that's why binge drinking is up and giving a shit is down.

I don't think Axl wants or needs to recover. Pour me some jack daniels I'm about to relapse.

Does anybody else think....... axl is coming out of his shell lately?

Charm afterburners are a go.

People can't accept brutal honesty, it's too confronting when it goes against their predetermined beliefs of what they considered to be the truth.

Right, when Axl says shit about other people it is brutal honesty but if people say shit about him it is unfair criticism and his feelings get hurt..........

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones............

i don't doubt he's being honest when he says slash and duff and stephanie hurt his confidence. it's a shame the guy doesn't have the ability to let go and move on from stuff. as a fan, it sucks for me that he spent so long working on a concept album about how his feelings were hurt. everyone goes through shit in their lives. if axl was niave enough to think he was going to be the one and only abusive rock star to never break up with his super model girlfriend, that sucks... but come on... it's just a part of reality.

from all accounts, he's in a better place emotionally these days. hopefully those emotions will provide a more dependable fuel for his creative fire. i'd love to hear songs about some other ideas, even though i'm sure it was very difficult for axl to move on from his past bands and girlfriends.

on a more upbeat note, i'm glad the departure of the finck/bucket/mank rage line-up didn't weigh quite as heavily upon him. as a fan, i'd hate to think that we'd get more of the same, lyrically. if ever writes, records and releases some new music with his current line-up, i bet it would be way more fun, ass kicking stuff.

i don't doubt he's being honest when he says slash and duff and stephanie hurt his confidence. it's a shame the guy doesn't have the ability to let go and move on from stuff. as a fan, it sucks for me that he spent so long working on a concept album about how his feelings were hurt. everyone goes through shit in their lives. if axl was niave enough to think he was going to be the one and only abusive rock star to never break up with his super model girlfriend, that sucks... but come on... it's just a part of reality.

from all accounts, he's in a better place emotionally these days. hopefully those emotions will provide a more dependable fuel for his creative fire. i'd love to hear songs about some other ideas, even though i'm sure it was very difficult for axl to move on from his past bands and girlfriends.

on a more upbeat note, i'm glad the departure of the finck/bucket/mank rage line-up didn't weigh quite as heavily upon him. as a fan, i'd hate to think that we'd get more of the same, lyrically. if ever writes, records and releases some new music with his current line-up, i bet it would be way more fun, ass kicking stuff.

For Axl, "letting go" or getting over things always involved venting his feelings through his artform. In his old interviews too, he has talked multiple times about feeling better about a situation after expressing what the experience was like in his songs: the making of the Dont Cry video is just one example. Several songs on the UYI albums are about the Erin Everly break-up so why would it be different with the demise of the old line-up and his relationship with Stephanie Seymour?

He has ALWAYS used his personal pain/experiences as a fuel for his creativity- it has nothing to do with thinking that you are special and should'nt have to go through losses in your life. As for moving on, Slash/Duff/Matt have talked about how finding Scott Weiland was so great because they finally had a singer who was more accessible (ironically). Then Matt repeated the same line when he talked about VR trying to find a replacement singer for Scott that they're so used to the crazy that they find it strange to work with more normal singers (not his exact words but the general gist).

So it shouldn't be surprising that Axl too talks about the effects left on him by the time he had with people in the past who left a jarring effect on his life and that he tends to compare the past and the present. Slash has said that his lyrics on Its Five O Clock Somewhere were almost entirely about Axl and on his album Slash, the Ozzy song was clearly about Axl too. Axl is having his say many years after the break-up but he isnt the only one to do so.

Edited by rabia