Can a happy contented Axl make a good record.

spunko12345

We keep hearing about how happy Axl is with his band and recent interviews suggest that he is in a more stable place in his life. He seems to be having a lot more fun.

I'm glad about this because he's been through a lot if stress in his life and career (a lot, it has to be said, self inflicted)

My point is that Axls creativity and lyrics have been mostly about negative subjects.

Appetite was about being an outsider and trod upon. The use your illusions were about lost love and press intrusion. And CD was largely about Axl being held down in one way or another.

I'm not saying every song on past albums followed these themes but I get a sense of these being the main concepts of the records even to the point that songs on the illusions albums were about his struggles with the band, that slash and co played on without even realising what the lyrics were about.

With Axl being happy and content with his life and band what is there to get off his chest and if he's not venting what is left for Axl to say in 2012?

I don't know, but it took an unhappy Axl how many years to put out Chinese? Sometimes you do need that muse, whatever it may be, as an artist. For him, judging from his comments, that sort of anger and resentment seemed to stifle his ability to work. I want new music.

Considering how seems to become an emotional cripple when he is unhappy I think the odds are better that he will want to make new music if he is happy.........

It's not about him WANTING to make new music ( although that'd be a good start) its more about what the music would sound like and whether he would have anything left to say. the fact that we've never heard an Axl Rose album where everything is rosy is intriguing to me.

Why cant he still write negative lyrics though? Im sure he still has a lot to say about a lot of things in the past.

Not to mention how he's already recorded stuff anyway

Sure he can draw in past experiences to make another angry record but to me i would prefer a new album to be an accurate reflection of where his headspace is at that given time.

I think maybe without the anger Axl might've able to explore other themes, maybe get more abstract or explore wider reaching ideas like Civil War or catcher in the rye.

I kind of know what you are saying. As in Axl or GNR were always railing against stuff as like the underdog. Even on CD there's definitely some to fight against. And Axl's lyrics, whether you like the guitar styles/production whatever, his lyrics are always very and real and he sings with conviction. From Paradise City to YCBM to SOD he's got something to say. And with CD it's strong statement lyrically so how often you you want or need to say the same thing. So I kind of expect the next record to be a new sound and a slightly different spin lyrically.

Having said that, Axl is pretty sophisticated lyric writer, even on AFD and UYI it's never quite what you think. Look at songs like Chi Dem, Shackler's, Catcher these aren't coming from a personal rage place in the same way as Shotgun Blues or Riad is. He's singing from different POVs. So does he really have to be depressed or unhappy himself to write? But sure This I Love isn't something you can really just fake.

That's why I could also see a more fun or tongue in cheek Some Girls type direction or even some Lennon solo influence which mixes pop production with witty lyrics rather than just ACDC riff and primal rage.

Ovrall I think there's enough evidence that Axl isn't completely suicidal or needs to be to write. I would like to see them write a Some Girls or Before they Make Me Run or a Big Bottomed Girls or Growing on Me.

There's not many songs/records I can think of that are happy. You have joke bands like The Darkness or bands with fun frontmen like DLR. But not sure if the songs are "happy". Bon Jovi is pretty depressing shit. There's wacky stuff like Primus or Mr Bungle that is too crazy to really fit a romantic notion into. Or punky stuff like Green Day which is high on energy but you have be bratty to pull it off.

I've always found Queen and Elton kind of melancholic. We Will Rock You sounds fun but isn't the lyric about some kids shouting at May that they are going throw rocks at him on some british council estate?

To me the band they have now seem perfect to do a My Chemical Romance/Dream Theatre type record. Really heavy and dark but also mixing in Dj. I could see Axl doing an Evanescence type piano ballad with heavy operatic guitars.

Edited by wasted

I'd like to hear the band and Axl do a kind of uppity, higher tempo song, even if it means using ironic or sarcastic lyrics. Kinda like 'Used to Love Her', the music is happy and up beat, but dark lyrics. I'd like to hear something in the vein of Puddle of Mudd's "She Hates Me". I kinda get that feelin from Sixx AM's 'Life is Beautiful'. It's ultimately got a positive message and this kinda fast, upbeat thing to it. Poppy, even...

I'd like to hear the band and Axl do a kind of uppity, higher tempo song, even if it means using ironic or sarcastic lyrics. Kinda like 'Used to Love Her', the music is happy and up beat, but dark lyrics. I'd like to hear something in the vein of Puddle of Mudd's "She Hates Me". I kinda get that feelin from Sixx AM's 'Life is Beautiful'. It's ultimately got a positive message and this kinda fast, upbeat thing to it. Poppy, even...

Well said. Exactly this is what I'd like to see. It's like between UYI and CD Axl has spent the last 20+ years (and brilliantly so in some cases) erecting this giant barrier of hurt, pain, adversity, etc. such that it's very uncertain whether he's going to "make it" or not...

A somewhat dark- but ultimately triumphal album in the vein of Sixx: AM (but in a more of a classic Guns style) would be awesome and so on point IMHO. Kind of a "Yeah- I've been through all that and worse... but I'm still here fuckers and I'm Axl Fuckin' Rose!!!".... A little bravado and swagger is in order! :)

I for one think that being sad or angry is not a prerequisite to write lyrics in such manner. if that were a prerequisite that would mean that you're a bad writer, or rather that you have an adolescent approach to writing. What I think is that mature people (if they're honest to themselves) don't have anything important to say, or rather don't have the nerve to think that they have the right/knowledge/insight to speak of "important" things in a condescending way.

However, music is emotion, almost pure emotion and although you don't have to be angry to write an angry song or be sad to write a sad song you can certainly get in the mood by listening to an instrumental piece that you're supposed to write words to and that's either sad or angry. You wouldn't be sad by listening to a sad song and by not being sad you could be more objective and subtle in writing.

melody/harmony itself will write a beautiful lyric, you just need to find it in your head.... some are able, some are not

We keep hearing about how happy Axl is with his band and recent interviews suggest that he is in a more stable place in his life. He seems to be having a lot more fun.

I'm glad about this because he's been through a lot if stress in his life and career (a lot, it has to be said, self inflicted)

My point is that Axls creativity and lyrics have been mostly about negative subjects.

Appetite was about being an outsider and trod upon. The use your illusions were about lost love and press intrusion. And CD was largely about Axl being held down in one way or another.

I'm not saying every song on past albums followed these themes but I get a sense of these being the main concepts of the records even to the point that songs on the illusions albums were about his struggles with the band, that slash and co played on without even realising what the lyrics were about.

With Axl being happy and content with his life and band what is there to get off his chest and if he's not venting what is left for Axl to say in 2012?

Inspiration goes a long way. In a perfect world, a happy Axl would still be writing deep stuff, but in reality I guess you just have to go to a dark place sometimes to bring out the best artitically. Songwrting is often sort of a carthasis, you try to get across what you can't get across in normal life, trying to make sense. If you are lucky you hit the sweet spot and end up with something worth being carved in stone. Knowing Axl's perfectionism and work ethic that next album might never happen at all, but I do hope for him to come to peace with himself and in that finding a brighter source of inspiration than depression. He's been to the dark side and shared it with us through his music, but I believe him sharing the brighter side of his soul in his music could bring out fantastic results as well.