For the next album...more of this please! [Richard Fortus Solo Video]

sascha

Spoke to Fortus for a bit after the Glasgow show while waiting for Axl, asked him what the inspiration was for his 2012 solo.

"You know, it's actually kind've a Cactus rip-off? You ever listen to Cactus? They're a cool '70s band."

I checked them out, the songs that reminded me of his solo were:

Parchman Farm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvBJzHNjb0I

One Way.. Or Another:

He probably is interested in gear more than the other guys seeing as he is playing a guitar with a reversed neck pickup (aka Peter Green mod) through a modified 1959.

I read somewhere that he is using (probably among other amps) the Marshall that Mick Mars from Motley used to use.

My favourite is the Tele with the reversed bridge pickup. Here's a video with Richard talking about his gear:

Great guitarist, but for some reason (ie. Songwriting skills) he only played rhythm here and there on CD. Even Ron who joined much later made much more impact than him. His creativity is limited as he almost always overplays a lot of his own patterns. Let him be rhythm and leave the leads to Ron. Ashba can play acoustic here snd there and drink jager the whole show.

That being said, I absolutely love the jams he and Bumble came up with.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

Fortus is indeed awesome live. Seems that he does such an incredible job in the "rhythm role" that Axl's never very eager to utilize him differently though. He does have that whole "Stonesy"-type vibe to him that's traditionally been the hallmark of GN'R rhythm players through the years (Izzy, Gilby, and even Paul to an extent). Just seems like he's potentially got a lot more to bring to the party though...

One of my biggest disappointments with Chinese Democracy was that Richard wasn't featured more on it.

He joined the band after most of Chinese was done. Band members have talked about Fortus writing some awesome stuff back in 02/03, but even back then it was said that his songs were slated for the album AFTER Chinese.

Which is why I can't help but shake my head when some fans insist GNR should scrap everything and quickly write a new album from scratch just because Robin left. It's ridiculous.

Do you think Axl even has it in him to write, record and release a new album with the current lineup in under 5 years?

One of my biggest disappointments with Chinese Democracy was that Richard wasn't featured more on it.

He joined the band after most of Chinese was done. Band members have talked about Fortus writing some awesome stuff back in 02/03, but even back then it was said that his songs were slated for the album AFTER Chinese.

Which is why I can't help but shake my head when some fans insist GNR should scrap everything and quickly write a new album from scratch just because Robin left. It's ridiculous.

Do you think Axl even has it in him to write, record and release a new album with the current lineup in under 5 years?

I think its more plausible that maybe 1 or 2 songs written with the current band will be on the next album, and the rest of the tracks will be from the chinese lineup, which is how it should be.

I think its more plausible that maybe 1 or 2 songs written with the current band will be on the next album, and the rest of the tracks will be from the chinese lineup, which is how it should be.

I dont think so. They should release the older stuff first imo. Then, a new album written by the current lineup bar Dj...lol

I dont think so. They should release the older stuff first imo. Then, a new album written by the current lineup bar Dj...lol

yes, you're right. Lord forgive the error of my way

That sound, that vibe, it's....awesome!!! Sounds like he's channeling Buckethead, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck all at once, love it.

Watching that clip makes me think do they really NEED three guitars all the time? The guitars come out so much better when not burried in the big band arrangements. If they really work on a new album I would love to hear something like that on there, so vintage and full of energy.

Hands down my favourite guitarist in the current version of Guns.

How about you? More Fortus and his style/sound on the next album or not?

I'm listening now and won't comment yet on the solo till I hear it, but I totally agree with you in that he's my favorite guitarist in the current Guns.

He plays his fucking ass off. He's got the look and the same swagger of the guys in the classic Guns lineup. I love how Fortus beats the shit out of that guitar in concert. He's fun to watch for sure.