Vegas Setlist(s) General Discussion Thread

Stro

Here come the whiners. If anyone expected anything vastly new or different on night one, dream on. It'll take a few shows to get their footing to start trying some different stuff. Ah well...

Whiners? How about long time fans sharing their opinions. You don't have to worship every move axl makes to be a fan.

DJ said they were going to play songs that the band hadn't played before.....and Dizzy said they had been rehearsing a TON of songs and would be choosing different ones each show. Both said they didn't want to give anything away or spoil the surprise.....................what happened? A shorter show than all the shows on the last tour, and the surprise new songs is a cover from the 70s that the band actually did already perform.

So by whiners you mean long time fans who took band members at their word?

I don't know what is worse. The "whiners" or the people who constantly whine about the whiners.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, REALLY DRUNK, but the only major setlist change was only four nu songs this time around? He really milked the old stuff even more than usual tonight. That's the only difference I see from previous recent tours I've seen. Not trying to be a dick, just an honest observation.

And his voice still isn't up to snuff, huh? Oh well, just thought I'd check in real quick before bed.

Goodnight, and happy Halloween everybody!

was definitely hoping for some first night surprises...

Why?

Because this isn't just another tour, this was kind of touted as something...different. A residency in honor of the band's legacy, honoring both the old and new. And so far it's just kind of the same setlist as the past few years.

Again, not bitching about it. I'm not going to see them anyway (would that I could...), but I do feel like, given their constant talk lately about having worked on new material etc., it'd be cool to have something fresh. Remember that Axl made his comeback 11 years ago in Vegas and played new material for the first time there. I guess part of me expected something that I shouldn't have. Not complaining, just a tad disappointed.

Still a solid gig, from the looks of things. Curious to see some videos surface later, and reactions from fans.

great post.

DJ said they were going to play songs that the band hadn't played before.....

He did? Here's the only quotes from him regarding the residency I could find in my database:

"We're doing stuff that we've never done before at any shows."

"We don't want to play the same show 12 times in a row. We do know that there's people who are going to see the show four or five times, and our main goal is to make sure that it's a different experience every show."

The first quote was probably directed at the stage setup and the second quote doesn't say anything about news songs, only that they will vary the sets from night to night. What quotes do you have where Dj explicitly says they will play songs they haven't played before??

and Dizzy said they had been rehearsing a TON of songs and would be choosing different ones each show.

Here's what I found from Dizzy:

"We have a shitload of songs worked up, and we have for a while. [...] We have a huge repertoire, and we’ll be pulling stuff from that every night?"

So again, what quote/interview are you referring to? Besides, it could still very well be that they WILL be choosing different ones each show, e.g. that each setlist will be different, just like what we are used to.

I think "whiners" would refer to people who let their expectations run away with them and then complain when their flawed expectations don't come through.

I don't know what is worse. The "whiners" or the people who constantly whine about the whiners.

The worst of the worst is definitely people who had too high expectations (often unrealistic and flawed), became bittered when reality struck down, and then still hang out despite not being fans anymore but just to constantly whine all things that went wrong.

I don't think that it is unrealistic for people to want new songs after all this time?

Of course not, but it is unrealistic to expect new songs to be played. If the band had been nearing completion of the next record, if a release date or some buzz about new music had been heard, if the band had hinted to new music, if this wasn't a residency to celebrate past music, if this gig had happened after a period where the band were writing together...then a new song played would be more realistic. But we ALL hope for new music.

DJ said they were going to play songs that the band hadn't played before.....

He did? Here's the only quotes from him regarding the residency I could find in my database:

"We're doing stuff that we've never done before at any shows."

"We don't want to play the same show 12 times in a row. We do know that there's people who are going to see the show four or five times, and our main goal is to make sure that it's a different experience every show."

The first quote was probably directed at the stage setup and the second quote doesn't say anything about news songs, only that they will vary the sets from night to night. What quotes do you have where Dj explicitly says they will play songs they haven't played before??

and Dizzy said they had been rehearsing a TON of songs and would be choosing different ones each show.

Here's what I found from Dizzy:

"We have a shitload of songs worked up, and we have for a while. [...] We have a huge repertoire, and we’ll be pulling stuff from that every night?"

So again, what quote/interview are you referring to? Besides, it could still very well be that they WILL be choosing different ones each show, e.g. that each setlist will be different, just like what we are used to.

I think "whiners" would refer to people who let their expectations run away with them and then complain when their flawed expectations don't come through.

The worst of the worst is definitely people who had too high expectations (often unrealistic and flawed), became bittered when reality struck down, and then still hang out despite not being fans anymore but just to constantly whine all things that went wrong.

Ha. Nice.

I've really enjoyed your posting style the last month or so. So much so that this relapse actually made me smile instead of getting annoyed.

You literally - with a straight face - think that DJ was referring to the stage set-up? Really? And Dizzy's comment about the amount of songs they were rehearsing meant that they would shorten their normal shows?

Both guys were implying that new stuff would be played. Otherwise why would they say what they did, and why would they want to keep it a secret or not want to ruin the surprise?

You also confused me for somebody else in your last melodramatic sentence. And I've read all the posts in this thread and I don't recall anybody who would fit your description. Not worshipping Axl's every move doesn't make one bitter. In fact, the way a few of you over react to ANY non-worshipping comment makes you appear a bit bitter.

I know you a smart guy Soulmonster. And I see what you are doing here. But twisting obvious comments/events around to somehow defend Axl just make you look silly. You might be the only person in the world who read DJ's interview and thought he was talking about the stage set-up. Hilarious.

So a shorter set list, no new material, no playing of old GnR songs, no playing of a song the band has never played before.......that isn't bitterness, that is just stating the actual facts. No matter how much you want to twist those statements.

I don't think that it is unrealistic for people to want new songs after all this time?

The thing is, the ones who are really bitching are the ones who can't or aren't going so they live vicariously through these threads. I think most of the people at the shows went for what the got 2 1/2 hours of music they love. When will you guys get the fact that this is not a young band? They are a group that was assembled by Axl to contribute to the Axl Rose retirement fund. And there is nothing wrong with that, he does these shows to entertain the people WHO ARE THERE. Not for a bunch of whiners on a forum. In my opinion if you aren't going what the fuck is it to you anyway? Your not there, and your not paying.

And if you are paying, then realize what it is. Damn this so tiring. Get the fuck over it. You paid NOTHING. Stop bitching. This show was not for you.

Edited by Ruxin

The thing is, the ones who are really bitching are the ones who can't or aren't going so they live vicariously through these threads. I think most of the people at the shows went for what the got 2 1/2 hours of music they love. When will you guys get the fact that this is not a young band? They are a group that was assembled by Axl to contribute to the Axl Rose retirement fund. And there is nothing wrong with that, he does these shows to entertain the people WHO ARE THERE. Not for a bunch of whiners on a forum. In my opinion if you aren't going what the fuck is it to you anyway? Your not there, and your not paying.

And if you are paying, then realize what it is. Damn this so tiring. Get the fuck over it. You paid NOTHING. Stop bitching. This show was not for you.

Why do you care so much about what others think?

So using your logic, a fan of a band cannot comment on ANY show that they don't personally attend? Odd....because haven't you made some comments about tonight's show????????

So in your world, the comment section for this topic should be about 2 pages long. As ONLY the people in attendance should be allowed to comment about it.

Man - sure glad you don't run the forum. It would be dead in a matter of weeks. Most of us thought a forum dedicated to GnR meant it was a place to go talk about GnR. Apparently in your world that isn't the case.

OH CRAP. I've also posted in some of the sports threads in Anything Goes.....even though I didn't attend the actual games. Damn. And I commented on the presidential debate - even though I wasn't there. I've also commented on many news stories in which I wasn't physically at or part of.

I don't know man. I thought forums were places for people to come chat about common interests. I didn't realize people weren't allowed to talk about an event if they didn't attend it. Or if they don't follow your dictatorship on what kind of fans they should be and what their expectations should be.

You literally - with a straight face - think that DJ was referring to the stage set-up? Really?

Yes, because he was talking about the stage, lights, and so on later in the interview:

"When you're on the road, you can only do so much a night because the show has to be big, but it can't be too big to where you can't tear it down and get it to the next state. This is something where we can custom build a stage just for the venue, we can bring in the right lighting. You can do so many things and really cater to the venue that you're playing in."

Nowhere did he imply he was talking about new songs, this is your flawed assumption. The fact that no new songs were played supports my interpretation that he was talking about the stage show and not the set. Your interpretation was obviously wrong.

And Dizzy's comment about the amount of songs they were rehearsing meant that they would shorten their normal shows?

Err, Dizzy said nothing about the show length, just that they had lots of songs to pick from (we already knew that). And you are wrong about the set being shorter, they played 23 songs last night, the average in 2012 is 23.6, so no, this show was about the same length. In addition, the first shows of a tour tend to be shorter than later shows with the ultimate show usually being a few songs longer.

Both guys were implying that new stuff would be played.

Nope, nope, nope. Your interpretation module is not working properly and now you are desperately trying to rationalize your flawed expectation.

Otherwise why would they say what they did, and why would they want to keep it a secret or not want to ruin the surprise?

I guess they didn't want to do in details on the stage setup and how the sets would vary, because they either wanted this to be a surprise or because they simply didn't know the details at the time of the interview. A wise band members is a band member who don't offer details which Axl may counter later on.

Edited by SoulMonster

You literally - with a straight face - think that DJ was referring to the stage set-up? Really?

Yes, because he was talking about the stage, lights, and so on later in the interview:

"When you're on the road, you can only do so much a night because the show has to be big, but it can't be too big to where you can't tear it down and get it to the next state. This is something where we can custom build a stage just for the venue, we can bring in the right lighting. You can do so many things and really cater to the venue that you're playing in."

Nowhere did he imply he was talking about new songs, this is your flawed assumption. The fact that no new songs were played supports my interpretation that he was talking about the stage show and not the set. Your interpretation was obviously wrong.

And Dizzy's comment about the amount of songs they were rehearsing meant that they would shorten their normal shows?

Err, Dizzy said nothing about the show length, just that they had lots of songs to pick from (we already knew that). And you are wrong about the set being shorter, they played 23 songs last night, the average in 2012 is 23.6, so no, this show was about the same length. In addition, the first shows of a tour tend to be shorter than later shows with the ultimate show usually being a few songs longer.

Both guys were implying that new stuff would be played.

Nope, nope, nope. Your interpretation module is not working properly and now you are desperately trying to rationalize your flawed expectation.

Otherwise why would they say what they did, and why would they want to keep it a secret or not want to ruin the surprise?

I guess they didn't want to do in details on the stage setup and how the sets would vary, because they either wanted this to be a surprise or because they simply didn't know the details at the time of the interview. A wise band members is a band member who don't offer details which Axl may counter later on.

Wow.

You make some very good points......and like I said, you have become one of the better posters on the forum.

But the way you are twisting what DJ and Dizzy were implying is really quite funny. And you seemed to be stuck on the "failed expectations" insult thing, you use that one a lot.

Anyway,

Glad the show went off without a hitch. Hope all in attendance had a blast. Can't wait to see what happens the rest of the residency. Hopefully the shows get great reviews. Thanks for those who posted updates.

But the way you are twisting what DJ and Dizzy were implying is really quite funny. And you seemed to be stuck on the "failed expectations" insult thing, you use that one a lot.

Anyway,

Glad the show went off without a hitch. Hope all in attendance had a blast. Can't wait to see what happens the rest of the residency. Hopefully the shows get great reviews. Thanks for those who posted updates.

It's is not meant as an insult. I am just trying to condition people into not expecting much from GN'R, especially not unless something is explicitly stated. Basically lower people's expectations so there won't be so much disappointment and bitterness around here.

I agree with the rest you wrote, looking forward to the youtube videos and reviews :)

Please DO NOT bring back that fucking mood breaker. Sorry is a good song ON THE ALBUM. Leave it as it is. It's HORRIBLE as part of the setlist. You have CD, WTTJ, It's So Easy and Mr.Brownstone and then BAM! Sorry. That's when you feel your tired legs, that's when you notice the guy next to you smells bad. That's when you notice you're thirsty. Please, DON'T BRING IT BACK.

So using your logic, a fan of a band cannot comment on ANY show that they don't personally attend?

Comment all you want. But if the basis of your comments is that the band should be doing things on the shows for the purpose of entertaining the people who DIDN'T go, don't cry when your comments are exposed as illogical.

They'd be entertaining the people that DID go and pleasing the people that DIDN'T go but are more likely to go to more GnR concerts than most of the people that DID go.

Now with that said, the residency is a different situation as more people than usual will be attending multiple shows. But we can't criticize the residency shows for being too similar when there has only been one show so far! If they play the same show all 12 nights then the locals who bought tickets for multiple shows can bitch if they want, but I see no reason why the first show has to be radically different.

You will find a new excuse when you realize the setlist will be the same every night.

But what matters is that the people who did go had a good time.

Completely agree, although some who attended probably feel like they were deceived (right or wrong) with false promises from the GNR camp.

In general (no pun intended) I think everyone should just accept GNR for who they are, a band that doesn't like to change things up too much. If anyone doesn't like the similar setlists, then don't attend the shows. It's really that simple. Complaining does no good, the band will NOT change their ways just because some people on an internet messageboard are unhappy.

If I was GNR, I would change things if people stopped going to the shows, not if some sour asses who cant go to the shows keep bitching. This is not a draft, you don't have to go. I guess you just have to be there, cause I never see people who look disappointed., and I go A LOT. People always seems to have a great time, and it is for the people who are there.

Not exactly an adventerous set-list- but I'm sure those who were there enjoyed spending Halloween with Guns and rocking out the classics. It bears keeping in mind that they're only 8.3333% through this residency. I guess I can't really be surprised that they played it safe on the first night (first night officially on that stage, etc.). Hopefully there's some more surprises to come. Axl did sound better.

One thing I'd love for them to do is figure out which show has the most tickets purchased on gunsnroses.com and use that night to preview a new song (or two)! I fully get that the vast majority of these shows need to be about the classics and having the venue, band, press, general public (Vegas vacationers), etc. all walking away happy and feeling like it was a worth-while ($$$) endeavor. That said- with 12 shows in the same venue- one show should be "DIE-HARD" night IMHO (and feature some new music and deeper cuts off UYI, TSI?, CD, etc.)- and even marketed as such. I bet a whole lot of us would buy up those tickets in no time...