Video of "Don't Let it Bring you Down" @ 1st night vegas

bumblecool

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, this is hands down the best cover choice GN'R ever did old or new band, for once Axl is covering a song he seems to really FEEL and that with a little work could fit him like a glove. They should keep this in the set and work on it a bit more, maybe even release it as a single. Would love a studio version of this!

Think I would prefer if he used a deeper voice with this song. Still cool to see.

This.

The fragility MAKES the song, he does it perfect justice as it is, but some rasp would be the cherry on top.

For me, this is hands down the best cover choice GN'R ever did old or new band, for once Axl is covering a song he seems to really FEEL and that with a little work could fit him like a glove. They should keep this in the set and work on it a bit more, maybe even release it as a single. Would love a studio version of this!

Think I would prefer if he used a deeper voice with this song. Still cool to see.

This.

The fragility MAKES the song, he does it perfect justice as it is, but some rasp would be the cherry on top.

Indeed. It's also a throwback to the old days where Guns were just guitars, bass, drums and vocals. The song has a simple, clean chord progression and a heavy emphasis on the vocals, the total opposite of Chinese which had 10 instruments layered, effects, backwards pianos etc. It's the one cover choice I actually agree with.

I love that you can hear a Megadeth fan say "Holy Wars!" before they start the song and that this band is probably one the few that could actually cover it.

Ashba certainly won't be playing rhythm or lead guitar for that one, that song is an absolute KILLER to play....

Meeting Neil Young and perhaps getting feedback on this cover choice from the man himself probably gave Axl a huge confidence boost. He really treats the song with respect and sings it just beautiful. I'm not a fan of the band doing so many covers in their shows but if there is one cover keeper it is this one.

This is the version from the Bridge School concert with Neil Young, the title of this video is just lame but it's has a different angle and better sound than the first one that surfaced.

Compare this with the Vegas performance and see how much they have already improved their take on this song from there the next time they played it. I see a lot of potential. Looking foward to more performances of this great song.

Ok to dude who said this was a bad vocal performance - did you listen to it?

He's pretty bang on 98% of the time. Listen to that note he holds starting at 1:09 - that's a bang on pitch perfect neil young impersonation in terms of tone and pitch.

Pitch wise, there's not much room for complaint. But tone wise, there's no gusto or umph behind this. Perhaps that's how he wants to sing it, but I can genuinely understand why people at the Bridge School benefit show thought Axl sounded a lot like Neil Young.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Neil Young's vocals (always sounded weak to me) so Axl moving in that direction isn't great news for someone who loves hearing Axl wail. You say that it's a bang on neil young impersonation, but why would anyone want to go to a Guns N' Roses concert to hear Axl do Neil Young impersonations while covering Neil Young songs?

If Axl wants to cover songs, I'm of the opinion he should make them sound like GNR. A perfect example of this was Sailing. That's a Rod Stewart song that sounds like a GNR song. If I want to hear Neil Young I'll listen to Neil Young.

Axl's voice is not good. Stop making excuses for him. Axl Rose lost his voice sometime in the 90's. HIs voice was shot when he made his first comeback in 2000.

He miraculously regained some of his old rasp/voice back (still not like old but a huge improvement from early 2000's) in the late 2000's. I think Sebastian Bach's vocal coach may have had something to do with that. It is obvious that he stopped doing his vocal exercises after his 2010 tour. He's at the stage of his life where if he doesn't exercise his voice constantly, it is going to sound like mickey mouse with asthma. Axl is just lazy.