Video of "Don't Let it Bring you Down" @ 1st night vegas

bumblecool

He does a legitimately great Neil Young impression.

I agree.

I'm not the first person to defend Axl's vocals lately, but - have any of you ever listened to fucking Neil Young? :lol: (Yeah, Black Sabbath, I'm lookin' at YOU!)

He is clearly taking advantage of his lighter vocals to mimic Young. He sounds just like him, in a really weird, almost uncomfortable way. Which is perhaps why people don't want this to be played ever again. It distorts our view of Axl Rose. The deep rasp is gone. Even when he speaks nowadays, you can tell it's gone - compare his Kimmel performance to an interview from, say, 1989. But that's fine. It works for songs like Sailing, this, etc. I think if Axl Rose would put in some effort in the studio, he could again be one of the best vocalists out there, albeit sound entirely different from his younger self. His voice is higher; he sings with a falsetto; on a technical level, he's awesome, but because he spends the majority of his time trying to adapt to songs from his youth, he struggles. But so it goes.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

I'm not the first person to defend Axl's vocals lately, but - have any of you ever listened to fucking Neil Young? :lol: (Yeah, Black Sabbath, I'm lookin' at YOU!)

He is clearly taking advantage of his lighter vocals to mimic Young. He sounds just like him, in a really weird, almost uncomfortable way. Which is perhaps why people don't want this to be played ever again. It distorts our view of Axl Rose. The deep rasp is gone. Even when he speaks nowadays, you can tell it's gone - compare his Kimmel performance to an interview from, say, 1989. But that's fine. It works for songs like Sailing, this, etc. I think if Axl Rose would put in some effort in the studio, he could again be one of the best vocalists out there, albeit sound entirely different from his younger self. His voice is higher; he sings with a falsetto; on a technical level, he's awesome, but because he spends the majority of his time trying to adapt to songs from his youth, he struggles. But so it goes.

I'm with you guys. Axl should also replace Riff Raff with Heart of Gold.

Horrible.

serious question: would you say it is 'horrible' compared to what you expect from axl's voice? or 'horrible' performance-wise?

if the former...do you think, perhaps, he may have been ( imo, successfully) channelling the goddamn songwriter?

i'm not one to be easy on axl for lazy vocals, but i think he was spot on here -- he is clearly a fan of neil young, and is paying him due respect.

Horrible.

serious question: would you say it is 'horrible' compared to what you expect from axl's voice? or 'horrible' performance-wise?

if the former...do you think, perhaps, he may have been ( imo, successfully) channelling the goddamn songwriter?

i'm not one to be easy on axl for lazy vocals, but i think he was spot on here -- he is clearly a fan of neil young, and is paying him due respect.

Have you ever heard the song before? he sounds like a cat in agony.This is really stupid,pls listen to the fucking song ( the original) and compare.

Edited by rudolf1978

...for those who think that Axl's vocal performance is a good one. Yes, he's maybe trying to sound like Neil, but his voice lacks power. I mean, it doesn't sound too bad, but he can do much better even without rasp. I'm not against using non-raspy voice on some songs but he has to use it properly which is quite hard without practicing.

...for those who think that Axl's vocal performance is a good one. Yes, he's maybe trying to sound like Neil, but his voice lacks power. I mean, it doesn't sound too bad, but he can do much better even without rasp. I'm not against using non-raspy voice on some songs but he has to use it properly which is quite hard without practicing.

He is trying to sound like neil and yes his voice lacks power,but he is also sounding like a tortured cat.And same happened in 14 years with izzy,he sounded awfull.

I think he looks ridiculous with all these hats...Just stupid and the only explanation I can think of is that he's trying to keep his wig in place...

We're all kinda used to his look the last few years, but if you had seen him on Kimmel for the first time in forever your reaction was probably why does Axl Rose look like a creepy uncle now? Not optimal.

Ok to dude who said this was a bad vocal performance - did you listen to it?

He's pretty bang on 98% of the time. Listen to that note he holds starting at 1:09 - that's a bang on pitch perfect neil young

impersonation in terms of tone and pitch.

Are you fucking w/ me? Axl's tone and performance sounds as weak as a 50's mickey mouse movie...If you swingers are gonna act like Axl's better than ever, I'd recommend waiting to commend something he actually sounds decent on...jmo.

I agree.

Okay, I guess based on this logic of Neil Young sounding like shit...If Axl from here on out only sings Neil Young songs him sounding like Shit will actually mean he sounds great....HUGE fucking eyeroll...

Exactly this actually sounds good on its own merit...Axl sounds like a mouse crossed with a cat being strangled and none of it sounds good or even like Neil Young...sounds like a bad karaoke singer...how do some people not actually hear this? Shit, I don't get it.

I thought he did a good job on the song, but I don't agree that he's trying to sound like Neil, that's just how his voice is, and they're staying faithful to the original. Not a lot of people can cover Neil Young and do it well.

Neil Young sounds like he's strangling cats at times, and I know a lot of people who want me to turn that shit off when I have it on in the car.

Horrible.

I can`t stand his clean vocals bring back rasp grit and venom for god`s sake

I agree.

Yes, I have listened to Neil. I never said the performance itself was bad (Axl seems to be holding back, though), but it's incredibly boring, in my opinion. Not fit for their kind of show at all.

Maybe Axl is just being respectful with the material and you critics are just unable to cope with something that isn't spoonfed to you with 20 guitars and screams and pyros?

If the song means something to him and this is how he feels it then let him fucking sing it the way he does it. Unlike on most of his classic material today he is actually singing here, and it is powerful because it is fragile and vulnerable. Singing and actual expression is so much more than just sceaming the fuck out of a song. His rendition is fucking beautiful.

I'm a huge fan of Neil Young and I believe no one can ever really write or sing a Neil Young song but Neil Young. Funny how the songwriter himself was not to cool to sing it with Axl though, but the minute Axl tries something with just a tiny portion of authencity and heartland his fans give him shit for not being rock and roll enough.

But the truth is Axl is 50 and it's about fucking time he starts playing material like that. Where do you think he's going to be at 60? Singing YCBM "with your ass in the air"? Most likely because he's catering to an audience of idiots. But I for one rather see an honest and authentic falsetto that has something to say than a forced attempt at rasp, trying to sound like what only his critics will forever call his prime just to make those idiots happy. Let the man evolve for once, let the wine gain some bottom and wisdom and fucking enjoy it.

With the shitstorm he gets it's no wonder he sticks to playing it safe with a show production rather than playing actual concerts. I understand a little Neil Young is not for everyone, but all that overly harsh criticism is no better than Slash or Duff giving him shit for Estranged and November Rain back in the day.

With the sad excuse of a setlist we have seen for a good while now, instead of doing yet another AC/DC cover to please the drunken morons, Axl at 50 covering a song that for once actually means something to him at this point in time is about the coolest thing happening to Guns in a long while.

Edited by sascha

Maybe Axl is just being respectful with the material and you critics are just unable to cope with something that isn't spoonfed to you with 20 guitars and screams and pyros?

If the song means something to him and this is how he feels it then let him fucking sing it the way he does it. Unlike on most of his classic material today he is actually singing here, and it is powerful because it is fragile and vulnerable. Singing and actual expression is so much more than just sceaming the fuck out of a song. His rendition is fucking beautiful.

I'm a huge fan of Neil Young and I believe no one can ever really write or sing a Neil Young song but Neil Young. Funny how the songwriter himself was not to cool to sing it with Axl though, but the minute Axl tries something with just a tiny portion of authencity and heartland his fans give him shit for not being rock and roll enough.

But the truth is Axl is 50 and it's about fucking time he starts playing material like that. Where do you think he's going to be at 60? Singing YCBM "with your ass in the air"? Most likely because he's catering to an audience of idiots. But I for one rather see an honest and authentic falsetto that has something to say than a forced attempt at rasp, trying to sound like what only his critics will forever call his prime just to make those idiots happy. Let the man evolve for once, let the wine gain some bottom and wisdom and fucking enjoy it.

With the shitstorm he gets it's no wonder he sticks to playing it safe with a show production rather than playing actual concerts. I understand a little Neil Young is not for everyone, but all that overly harsh criticism is no better than Slash or Duff giving him shit for Estranged and November Rain back in the day.

With the sad excuse of a setlist we have seen for a good while now, instead of doing yet another AC/DC cover to please the drunken morons, Axl at 50 covering a song that for once actually means something to him at this point in time is about the coolest thing happening to Guns in a long while.

I agree. But this is painful to listen to.

And there is nothing stopping Axl from evolving. It is his decision to put on the same show with the same setlist for years. You're saying he should start playing material like he's 50. I don't know what that means but it would obviously be best for Axl as an artist to just drop the band and start some sort of a solo career (assuming he has some creativity and passion left in him). He should have done that ages ago. Because when you think about it, what is next for this band? Taking a few months off and then tour Europe and South America next summer? This is going nowhere and every single person on this board knows that. Except the ones that interpret every sarcastic comment from Bumblefoot as a goodbye to this world.

If the song means something to him and this is how he feels it then let him fucking sing it the way he does it. Unlike on most of his classic material today he is actually singing here, and it is powerful because it is fragile and vulnerable. Singing and actual exp<b></b>ression is so much more than just sceaming the fuck out of a song. His rendition is fucking beautiful.

I broadly agree with this rant. It's a subjective listening argument here, everyone trying to shout each other down and convince the other person his ears are more right than theirs.

I agree.

Yes, I have listened to Neil. I never said the performance itself was bad (Axl seems to be holding back, though), but it's incredibly boring, in my opinion. Not fit for their kind of show at all.

Sorry is more boring than this one

I wish Axl sings this with a depper voice