Video of "Don't Let it Bring you Down" @ 1st night vegas

bumblecool

Maybe Axl is just being respectful with the material and you critics are just unable to cope with something that isn't spoonfed to you with 20 guitars and screams and pyros?

If the song means something to him and this is how he feels it then let him fucking sing it the way he does it. Unlike on most of his classic material today he is actually singing here, and it is powerful because it is fragile and vulnerable. Singing and actual exp<b></b>ression is so much more than just sceaming the fuck out of a song. His rendition is fucking beautiful.

I'm a huge fan of Neil Young and I believe no one can ever really write or sing a Neil Young song but Neil Young. Funny how the songwriter himself was not to cool to sing it with Axl though, but the minute Axl tries something with just a tiny portion of authencity and heartland his fans give him shit for not being rock and roll enough.

But the truth is Axl is 50 and it's about fucking time he starts playing material like that. Where do you think he's going to be at 60? Singing YCBM "with your ass in the air"? Most likely because he's catering to an audience of idiots. But I for one rather see an honest and authentic falsetto that has something to say than a forced attempt at rasp, trying to sound like what only his critics will forever call his prime just to make those idiots happy. Let the man evolve for once, let the wine gain some bottom and wisdom and fucking enjoy it.

With the shitstorm he gets it's no wonder he sticks to playing it safe with a show production rather than playing actual concerts. I understand a little Neil Young is not for everyone, but all that overly harsh criticism is no better than Slash or Duff giving him shit for Estranged and November Rain back in the day.

With the sad excuse of a setlist we have seen for a good while now, instead of doing yet another AC/DC cover to please the drunken morons, Axl at 50 covering a song that for once actually means something to him at this point in time is about the coolest thing happening to Guns in a long while.

Rage on.

What's up? Why so bitter and angry? Do you need a friend to talk to?

Oh, one real question about your idiotic rant. Can you post the link to the article where Axl talks about how much the Young song means to him? I missed that interview. Thanks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok to dude who said this was a bad vocal performance - did you listen to it?

He's pretty bang on 98% of the time. Listen to that note he holds starting at 1:09 - that's a bang on pitch perfect neil young impersonation in terms of tone and pitch.

Pitch wise, there's not much room for complaint. But tone wise, there's no gusto or umph behind this. Perhaps that's how he wants to sing it, but I can genuinely understand why people at the Bridge School benefit show thought Axl sounded a lot like Neil Young.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Neil Young's vocals (always sounded weak to me) so Axl moving in that direction isn't great news for someone who loves hearing Axl wail. You say that it's a bang on neil young impersonation, but why would anyone want to go to a Guns N' Roses concert to hear Axl do Neil Young impersonations while covering Neil Young songs?

If Axl wants to cover songs, I'm of the opinion he should make them sound like GNR. A perfect example of this was Sailing. That's a Rod Stewart song that sounds like a GNR song. If I want to hear Neil Young I'll listen to Neil Young.

I said that part where he holds the note at 1:09 is a bang on pitch perfect neil young impersonation in terms of tone and pitch...that note. His tone is different from young's in the rest of the song for the most part, except for the odd note here and there, and that long sustained note.

He seems to be using what people refer to as his 'mickey mouse' voice which actually sounds a lot like young. But tone wise, except for a few parts where it seems to be purposeful, or purposefully improvised, it sounds to me like axl not neil.

Can you post the link to the article where Axl talks about how much the Young song means to him? I missed that interview. Thanks.

He said something along those lines both at the Bridge School concert and during the Kimmel interview, you can find both on YouTube.

Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but at what point does this stop being a Guns N' Roses show? Here we are debating over whether Axl using his "clean" vocals while covering someone else's song with a band that had nothing to do with making this band famous is worth our time. Seriously, I'm starting to wonder what the point of all of this is.

You can suggest that it's my expectations that need to be modified, but I'm starting to question the defense of using the name Guns N" Roses if Axl isn't even going to try sounding like Axl Rose. If we're now about doing vocal impersonations while doing covers while playing old classics with guys who had nothing to do with them, what's really the point of calling this band Guns N' Roses?

I'm not asking this as a means to provoke since I have long defended Axl's lineup as GNR since this is the only group that is attempting to put on a GNR show with the lead vocalist who's signature style imprints the band's aura. But if we're now at the point where the only thing new this band has to offer is some weak cover sung in a style that sounds nothing like Axl's signature vocals, the rationale I just quoted seems to go out the window. I applaud Axl for wanting to take the band in a new direction, but really, after all this time the only thing new us fans are getting is a cover that sounds nothing like GNR? I'm not against covers if done well (see: Sailing), but Axl and the band should make them their own.

Edited by downzy

How is Axl giving Young respect by singing his song off key with a cracking, weak voice?

This version is a disgrace.

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

I'm wondering if half the people criticizing this have even listened to it. No, it's not raspy... but it suits it. He's certainly not cracking or "weak" though.

You can suggest that it's my expectations that need to be modified, but I'm starting to question the defense of using the name Guns N" Roses if Axl isn't even going to try sounding like Axl Rose.

Yes, because that's the thing everybody attending the shows ask: why didn't he sound like Axl!? Just listen to that last Welcome To The Jungle, didn't sound like Axl at all!

You can suggest that it's my expectations that need to be modified, but I'm starting to question the defense of using the name Guns N" Roses if Axl isn't even going to try sounding like Axl Rose.

Yes, because that's the thing everybody attending the shows ask: why didn't he sound like Axl!? Just listen to that last Welcome To The Jungle, didn't sound like Axl at all!

I agree with you to a certain extent. Like I said, I wasn't trying to pick a fight but more thinking out loud. Axl does sound fantastic on some of the old classics and I can understand how he might want to play around with his own vocal tones. A GNR show to me is Axl sounding like Axl while rocking the hits and pushing boundaries. It's that last part of the equation I'm having problems with. When the choices Axl and the band makes to push boundaries essentially negates Axl soundlike Axl and the band not infusing the GNR sound (again, relative), I start to have issues with the first two parts of the equation. It use to be that when Axl covered a song (like Salt of the Earth, Free Fallin', KOHD, Rosie, etc.), he made it sound like a GNR song (because his voice was so essential to the sound). But if he's going to sound like something else while singing someone else's songs while being backed up by guys who had little to do with the band's ascension, things start to break down for me a bit.

I'm not suggesting that I'm right or that people should see things my way, but why when I watch and hear covers like this one it gives me reservations. I make no claims that my opinion is the one that matters or should be endorsed by any and all GNR fans. You're welcome to agree or disagree with me and I wouldn't blame you either way.

Edited by downzy

I agree with you to a certain extent. Like I said, I wasn't trying to pick a fight but more thinking out loud. Axl does sound fantastic on some of the old classics and I can understand how he might want to play around with his own vocal tones. A GNR show to me is Axl sounding like Axl while rocking the hits and pushing boundaries.

It seems from all the negative reaction he is receiving from his "hardcore fans" that he is indeed pushing boundaries in daring to sing a Neil Young cover with his clean voice :).

Edited by SoulMonster

How is Axl giving Young respect by singing his song off key with a cracking, weak voice?

I'm wondering if half the people criticizing this have even listened to it. No, it's not raspy... but it suits it. He's certainly not cracking or "weak" though.

He is extremely weak. Listen to the Neil Young BBC version. How can you even compare? Axl is so weak on this song. No drive or power AT ALL. Not to mention him being off key 80% of the time. And trying to be fragile, while extrememely batteling to keep the high pitch makes him crack his voice and really come off unprofessional.

I don't see how some peple can't hear this. This is awful and shouldn't be done ever again.

He is extremely weak. Listen to the Neil Young BBC version. How can you even compare? Axl is so weak on this song. No drive or power AT ALL. Not to mention him being off key 80% of the time. And trying to be fragile, while extrememely batteling to keep the high pitch makes him crack his voice and really come off unprofessional.

I don't see how some peple can't hear this. This is awful and shouldn't be done ever again.

Claiming that he is "off key 80 % of the time" has basically disqualified yourself from being taken seriously. People who are bad at hearing pitch really shouldn't speak about it. He is off here and there but after hearing it through a few times and letting a person with great ear who are not a fan of GN'R at all hear it, we agree that it is less than 5 %.

This.

Claiming that he is "off key 80 % of the time" has basically disqualified yourself from being taken seriously. People who are bad at hearing pitch really shouldn't speak about it. He is off here and there but after hearing it through a few times and letting a person with great ear who are not a fan of GN'R at all hear it, we agree that it is less than 5 %.

Showed it to a few friends. They thought it sounded awful.

Showed it to a few friends. They thought it sounded awful.

It can be in key and still sound awful so I don't really see how that is relevant.

so you find it awful too?

No, as I have stated earlier I enjoyed the cover although he is pitchy at times (far less than the absurd claim of 80 % which Projected claims!) and wobbly here and there. I also find the tonal quality unusual, but still enjoyable on its own when I just forget that it is Axl and Guns N' Roses I am listening to.