Is The Lost Boys the best film of all time?

Guest Iron Fist SS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed Lith' but the fact that it can't be judged objectively surely is indicative of the uselessness of applying objectivity in these sorts of assessments because they are functional things designed for use by human beings, timepieces exist because there are people to use them so how can you divorce the people from the equation? It's missing the point entirely.

I'm saying that each individual's utility does not necessarily reflect upon the quality of the item at hand. There are other factors. The Breitling is the better watch if you look at it through each individual's subjective utility as well. Are you seriously going to tell me if you stopped a random person in the street and offered him one of those two watches, that he would pick the Casio? That is not going to happen because the Breitling offers more utility in every possible sense, in addition to the objective factors that comprises its superior quality.

Removing subjectivity from the equation is necessary because it will make any items easier to compare. On the other hand, if you divorce the objectivity from the equation, there isn't anything left except your own personal preference. That makes discussing the quality of two items between more than one person impossible.

Guest Len B'stard

Agreed Lith' but the fact that it can't be judged objectively surely is indicative of the uselessness of applying objectivity in these sorts of assessments because they are functional things designed for use by human beings, timepieces exist because there are people to use them so how can you divorce the people from the equation? It's missing the point entirely.

I'm saying that each individual's utility does not necessarily reflect upon the quality of the item at hand. There are other factors. The Breitling is the better watch if you look at it through each individual's subjective utility as well. Are you seriously going to tell me if you stopped a random person in the street and offered him one of those two watches, that he would pick the Casio? That is not going to happen because the Breitling offers more utility in every possible sense, in addition to the objective factors that comprises its superior quality.

Removing subjectivity from the equation is necessary because it will make any items easier to compare. On the other hand, if you divorce the objectivity from the equation, there isn't anything left except your own personal preference. That makes discussing the quality of two items between more than one person impossible.

Hmmm, i think you've sort of stumped me there. Yeah, i guess thats right. Perhaps the analogy with a watch was a bad path to tread. Nah, you pretty much shut me up with that :lol: Although i still think, in the realm of art at any rate, there are no definitive betters and worses. You can reach conclusions based on personally ordained criteria but there is no real answer, just different movies serve different purposes and appeal to different people because they fulfill certain shitses for em. It's all about what entertains you, isn't it? Or is it because i guess you could recognise a film as being of high level artistic merit but not necessarily like, entertaining to you personally.

I dunno, i guess it's one of those things you could argue for days about.

Hmmm, i think you've sort of stumped me there. Yeah, i guess thats right. Perhaps the analogy with a watch was a bad path to tread. Nah, you pretty much shut me up with that :lol: Although i still think, in the realm of art at any rate, there are no definitive betters and worses. You can reach conclusions based on personally ordained criteria but there is no real answer, just different movies serve different purposes and appeal to different people because they fulfill certain shitses for em. It's all about what entertains you, isn't it? Or is it because i guess you could recognise a film as being of high level artistic merit but not necessarily like, entertaining to you personally.

I dunno, i guess it's one of those things you could argue for days about.

If we ignore all other objective yardsticks - The Godfather is a better film than Plan 9 From Outer Space simply because it demonstrates a superior level of quality. It demands more from the creators to create it. The craftsmanship of The Godfather is better.

Guest Len B'stard

That actually made me laugh you bitch! :lol:

Reported.

So... we have 2 "Lennys"over here... :nervous:

Two Lennys and one garlic-eating, stinking little yellow, greasy fascist bastard catholic Spaniard :D

i joke, i joke! :lol: