Were you around the band during 94-96?

izzydoezit

This is a period we don't have many clues about other than Slash's info in his book.

What really went on during that period? Was the band writing songs? Was Axl involved?

What about the studio rehearsals. Is it true that Axl was not showing up? Or is this a one sided view, and in reality everyone in the band was difficult to get down and work?

I wish Axl and Slash cared as much as you care about the real/original GNR fans?

Edited by izzydoezit

This is a period we don't have many clues about other than Slash's info in his book.

What really went on during that period? Was the band writing songs? Was Axl involved?

What about the studio rehearsals. Is it true that Axl was not showing up? Or is this a one sided view, and in reality everyone in the band was difficult to get down and work?

I wish Axl and Slash cared as much as you care about the real/original GNR fans?

I didn't hang out at band practice. The only thing that I can remember was them fighting on who was going to be the second guitar player in the band and what songs they were going to be working on.

• 2 weeks later...

Marc, do you mean the rejected 'Snakepit' demos? Apparently Axl and Duff didn't like the demos Slash, Matt and Gilby had been recording in Slash's studio at Mulholland Drive (this was around, January 1994). According to Duff's autobiography the two of them found the material too 'southern rock'. Of course the material ended up as the first Snakepit album. Have you got any insights into this?

Any idea on what the songs were? Beggers and hangers on perhaps (which I think is the best song)?

Marc, these demos are debated on the fan fora between rival sets of fans. From the Axl camp (pardon the expression) there is an insinuation that Slash delivered a set of songs like a dictator. It stems from these comments by Axl:

"What people don't know is, the [slash's] Snakepit album, that is the Guns N' Roses album. I just wouldn't do it. [...] Duff walked out on it, and I walked out on it, because I wasn't allowed to be any part of it. It's like, 'No, you do this, that's how it is.'" (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

''I didn’t walk till several months after having 3-4-hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash, trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.'' (Axl, MyGNR, 12/14/08)

You have known Slash longer than most. Do you think it is in Slash's character to force a bunch of songs on Axl/Duff, with no input permitted from the other guys?

Slash saying this is what we are going to record is the same thing as Axl saying Gilby is out and Paul is going to be in the band. As I said before they both wanted different things. Axl didn't feel that Gilby was the right person to help make the new record and Slash didn't feel the Paul was the right person to be in the band. This list goes on about How the record was going to be recorded and a lot of other stuff that they both had different visions on what they each wanted.

Edited by recklessroad

well, for CD it was more like Axl asking them to play on how they've feel, record it, listen it over and picking stuff he liked but asked to work on that more and more...and in the end he picked what he liked best. its a pure one-man-decision driven by power he've wanted (and openly said he wanted to have).

by the way this surely slows things down a lot. imagine goin through like 20 different takes each solo, each member etc. then starting it all over etc.

when having the pressure on ONE shoulder all alone its hard to handle it properly. and IMO this is to be heard on CD - as a result its missing good songs (mainly rockers), the general public seems to agree on that aswell.

Edited by Lim666