Guns N' Roses ads removed following outcry

LoadedNightraiN

This can only happen in the US....

to be fair, there's a reason that image was banned as the original cover art.

if these ads were placed in areas where kids could see them, then i can understand taking them down. but i think most adults - especially people who were alive when the record came out - would recognize it as a nostalgia thing, a reference to the old album cover, rather than something designed to deliberately offend (though that may have been the case in 1987!).

To be fair, this is art. To be more fair, it's been a quarter of a f*&!$n century since it was first put out (and pulled).

Fascism.

I'm all for artistic freedom, but I see film as art too, and there are plenty of films I wouldn't advise to be shown in public areas. This is hardly fascism.

Actually, that's pretty much the definition of fascism:

Fascism: a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual

Nobody is being harmed by this, it's an individual's expression, but we're protecting the hypothetical 'everyone' from a threat that doesn't really exist, in the name of (some cause, fill in the blank). In this case I believe it actually was the government (Las Vegas City or equivalent) that was involved in the cencorship. How is it not fascism?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record, when I said "fascists" earlier in the thread, I was being humorously figurative, not literal.

i don't believe you're allowed to play the "art" card when we're talking about mass produced commercials for a vegas revue. if you wanna talk art, go to a museum.

It's like the old addage goes, it's funny because it's true...

What do you mean the 'art card'? So someone can see it but not everyone can see it? Censorship? Class warfare - guy on the street can't see it for free and think it's ok but the guy with an art gallery subscription can? Is it something that can be see or not? Selling it in a gallery with admission or as a postcard in the gift shop or for someone to hang on their wall or to license it to a company to use is ok - but it sitting on the side of a building to sell concert tickets is a no-no? When something is legal but someone says no, not for you, that's just not right.

I think this is fully understandable. It's easy for us who are male and haven't been faced with an issue such as rape or sexual assault to just say it's cool or whatever.

It's the last bastion of the defeated - the 'card' argument. Sex, race, 'think of the children'. The poster advertising concert tickets didn't rape anyone. In fact, rape is a word, it has a definition, do we ban the word too?

In fact, if people took a minute to look at the original artwork and its message, it is this: The album's original civer art based on Robert Williams' painting "Appetite for Destruction", depicted a robotic rapist about to be punished by a metal avenger. So it's about punishing a rapist, but rape can't be discussed?

I think most of us agree that it's more important not to make matters worse for victims of serious assault than to promote a Rock band in a certain way.

I think most of us would look for the meaning behind something, before commenting on the meaning of that thing.

Actually, that's pretty much the definition of fascism:

Fascism: a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual

I was going to say, "No, it isn't," but then you posted the definition for me - which proves my point. So you did the work already. You can keep deluding yourself if you wish, but taking down advertisements due to consumer outcry is business sense and democracy at work; not fascism.

Nobody is being harmed by this, it's an individual's expression,

Which is your individual opinion, equal to the opinion of the person who complained about the ad being offensive and might think it is harmful.

There was a Gucci campaign a few years ago where the G logo was formed by the pubic hair of a female, and it was displayed in London and taken down after consumer complaints. That was art, too - but a vocal group of consumers were offended by it and made sure the ad campaign managers knew about it, and they withdrew the ads. This shit happens all the time. Nothing to get riled up about until the government starts stepping in and banning stuff by and large. Which isn't going to happen.

A friend of mine on facebook in in Vegas for the shows and posted about this topic here, he wonders why this is allowed yet a cartoon was removed?

This truck drives around Vegas to get you to preorder whores for the night, pretty fucked up no?

53355810151256535867505.jpg

Edited by gunsguy

I think this is fully understandable. It's easy for us who are male and haven't been faced with an issue such as rape or sexual assault to just say it's cool or whatever.

It's the last bastion of the defeated - the 'card' argument. Sex, race, 'think of the children'. The poster advertising concert tickets didn't rape anyone. In fact, rape is a word, it has a definition, do we ban the word too?

In fact, if people took a minute to look at the original artwork and its message, it is this: The album's original civer art based on Robert Williams' painting "Appetite for Destruction", depicted a robotic rapist about to be punished by a metal avenger. So it's about punishing a rapist, but rape can't be discussed?

I think most of us agree that it's more important not to make matters worse for victims of serious assault than to promote a Rock band in a certain way.

I think most of us would look for the meaning behind something, before commenting on the meaning of that thing.

I think what I said is pretty straight forward. The idea of somebody raping somebody is pretty disgusting and something like this DOES remind some people of rape. It doesn't mean shit what the drawing is supposed to mean. What does mean something in the real world is how people react to it.

Anyway...I'm done discussing such a no brainer. Can't believe some of you guys who play stupid and come up with all kinds of reasons to defend it.

Fuck political correctness

I agree! It's rock and roll and it's supposed to be offensive to people! Damn! It's the PMRC all over again!

I thought Vegas would be more open to shit, but I guess as long as there are politicians, there's always going to be censorship and bullshit!

I remember back in the 60's a band called Humble Pie had a woman's vagina on the front of their album cover. Okay, after awhile it was changed, but some albums were produced that way. It's rock and roll and it's always been controversal since the beginning. the more you try to censor it, the more rock fans will push for more.

I think what I said is pretty straight forward. The idea of somebody raping somebody is pretty disgusting and something like this DOES remind some people of rape. It doesn't mean shit what the drawing is supposed to mean. What does mean something in the real world is how people react to it.

Anyway...I'm done discussing such a no brainer. Can't believe some of you guys who play stupid and come up with all kinds of reasons to defend it.

Yeah, why the hell would ANYONE protect free speech, eh?

Ah, well ... since it's the US, they should have given the Cyborg a shotgun and have the woman's brain splattered all over the fence instead - that would have been no problem. Yay weapon violence! But anything that's sex-related in any way? BAN! BAN! BAN! Weird nation ...

Please, the Aussies banned Californication,

Don't think so. I remember watching it on free to air here.

Ah, well ... since it's the US, they should have given the Cyborg a shotgun and have the woman's brain splattered all over the fence instead - that would have been no problem. Yay weapon violence! But anything that's sex-related in any way? BAN! BAN! BAN! Weird nation ...

Singapore is exactly the same. You can show someone's brains being blasted to smithereens but a sex scene, even if it's of a loving nature, and everything gets censored out. Tragic.