Guns N' Roses ads removed following outcry

LoadedNightraiN

This can only happen in the US....

to be fair, there's a reason that image was banned as the original cover art.

if these ads were placed in areas where kids could see them, then i can understand taking them down. but i think most adults - especially people who were alive when the record came out - would recognize it as a nostalgia thing, a reference to the old album cover, rather than something designed to deliberately offend (though that may have been the case in 1987!).

dude...las vegas...sin city...

This happening in Las vegas in 2012 really cracks me up

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Axl Rose learns that the 21st century still isn't ready for robot rape"

http://www.avclub.com/articles/axl-rose-learns-that-the-21st-century-still-isnt-r,88422/

In 1987, Guns N' Roses learned that the world was unprepared for the concept of robot rape, with the band's choice of a painting by Robert Williams—depicting a disheveled, half-exposed woman and her robot rapist, who is moments away from meeting metal justice—being deemed too controversial for society, and tucked away on the inside cover. But that was 25 years ago. Now that we live in The Future, where robots vacuum our floors and take care of the elderly people we don't love anymore, surely the ever-present threat of robotic sexual assault is something to be gravely accepted, then possibly used as a poster for a Las Vegas rock show.

And yet, as Axl Rose recently found out when he revived the Williams painting for his upcoming "Appetite for Democracy" residency—with some slight alterations to remove the victim's exposed underwear and cover up her breast—many still find the idea of robots doing our raping too fantastical, as well as, in the case of the owner of a local women's shelter, deeply offensive for its implicit "celebration" of sexual assault. (That the robot perpetrator of the assault is seconds away from being vaporized for his crime is, as it was in the '80s, apparently beside the point.) Following the outcry, the Hard Rock Hotel where Rose is performing has apologized and promised to modify the posters, potentially pushing the painting back another 25 years to another far-off future. Perhaps there it may at last be viewed as the ominous warning to robot rapists it has always been, and used for whatever robot version of Axl Rose is performing in Branson, Missouri.

'We want them to know it's a safe place to come, and by putting a message out there with Las Vegas above it is concerning."

Yes because thery are loads of rapist robots running around Las Vegas. Stay aware everyone.... :nervous:

I love how 25 years later this album artwork is still pissing people off. :bitchfight: