Anyone else miss "this is a new song" from Rio 2001?

volcano62

With a library full of old songs and all the songs the new band is writing, why not test a few of them out live?

- Because they might not want to blend touring CD with promoting new music?

- Because none of the new songs are ready to be played?

- Because they don't want to create buzz about the next record prematurely?

- Because the residency is about celebrating the past, not about the future?

Just a few possible reasons. There are probably many more.

I miss it. Axl seemed eager to showcase what his band had come up with. They played Silkworms, OMG, Maddie, The Blues and Chidem that show. I don't think they will play new songs this year...

Funny how they played more CD songs that show than they did most shows after the album was out. Actually it's not funny, it's sad.

He seemed to be so much more excited and passionate about the whole thing back then. If he could find a way to keep that through all the shit I believe not only would be have better setlist, we'd be much closer to a new album and maybe even have a better band overall.

Not in my wildest dreams I could imagine the Axl of 2001/2002 putting on a corporate greatest hits show with DJ Ashba.

Rio 2001 was awesome because it had some tension. All the way from Buckethead to "that guy...gone!", introducing new material, Beta translating and little things like "ok, nevermind" there was some actual INTERACTION with the band and crowd, it was a real concert, not just a "show".

I agree completely.

It seems like Axl had a fire lit under his ass and he was out to prove the world that he can be successful without Slash and the old band. New songs, new logo's, new band, everything was different. It was a new era of GN'R. Hell, even Axl's look was completely different except for the bandanna.

Now, in 2012, their using the Appetite for Destruction inside cover for their tour poster. GN'R now is basically a touring band based off of nostalgia mixed with a basic set-list. Instead of trying to prove he doesn't need the old band to be successful, he's playing the old band's music 80 percent of the time every night.

:shrugs:

Edited by GNR123GNR456

]

With a library full of old songs and all the songs the new band is writing, why not test a few of them out live?

- Because they might not want to blend touring CD with promoting new music?

- Because none of the new songs are ready to be played?

- Because they don't want to create buzz about the next record prematurely?

- Because the residency is about celebrating the past, not about the future?

Just a few possible reasons. There are probably many more.

They don't want to blend touring Chinese Democracy with promoting new music? They've been touring Chinese Democracy for 10 years now. Play a new song from that ten years won't be a bad thing. I would think some new songs would be ready to be played. How about Going Down, or Oh My God? OMG isn't necessarily new, but they've rehearsed it before. Playing a new song at a residency in Vegas won't create buzz for a new album prematurely, it'll make the whole thing more special.

The last line is the ticket. "Celebrating the past," isn't that what Axl's been doing for the last decade? Sure, they have songs from Chinese Democracy that they play, but that's one album in the last 20 years. And they hardly play half of it every night. In 2001 Axl was all about the future; new look, sound, band, logo's. Everything was different and new. They were moving on from the old band and establishing their own identity as the "new" Guns N' Roses. Now it seems like Axl is happy playing a basic set-list every night of mostly older material that the current band didn't even right.