Underrated Music

ManetsBR

Let's talk about underrated music: songs, albums and even bands and genres.

I'll start with my favorite album of one of my favorite bands: These Days, by Bon Jovi, from 1995.

These+Days+-+1995.jpg

Bon Jovi's masterpiece, by far. Really far.

These Days. It is one of my favorite albums of all time, it's a real fantastic album. It's Bon Jovi most mature and serious album. Jon said on some interviews, more than once, that after 10 years of carreer, they started to think if all of what had happened to them was fair: They were so rich they had everything they wanted, they could do anything, and why God decided to help them instead of others who probably needed more than them? And that question refleted on the music, on the lyris, on the vibe... On the whole album.

The album is simply amazing on every aspet: it features Jon's and Richie's best lyrics, Jon's best vocal work on his whole carrer, Richie's best riffs and solos. And yet, Tico Torres (drums) and David Bryan (keyboards) had more space in this album than in any other, David make some really beautiful work on practically the whole album.

Honestly, I don't think it has one bad song, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

Hey God, All I Want Is Everything, Something For The Pain, Damned, My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms... All raw rock songs with an amazing instrumental work, with incredible riffs and solos.

It has obviously some great ballads like This Ain't a Love Song, Hearts Breaking Even, Diamond Ring and Bitter Wine, with again an amazing instrumental, with stuff they had never tried before. Diamond Ring has some interesting acoustic guitar work, and Bitter Wine has some beautiful piano mixed with acoustic guitar. Interesting thing though, is that none of those ballads sounds "honeydew", like some other Bon Jovi ballads.

Album also features some of Bon Jovi most beautiful music, the title song, These Days, and Something To Believe In, which is simply amazingly beautiful.

About the music

Jon Bon Jovi is credited with composing the music for all of the album's tracks. Richie Sambora is also credited with composing the music for all of the album's tracks, except "(It's Hard) Letting You Go", "Something To Believe In", both was written and composed by Jon Bon Jovi. And he is not credited on "Hearts Breaking Even", which was written and composed by Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child. Desmond Child is also credited with composing "Something For The Pain", "This Ain't A Love Song" and "Diamond Ring". The all of the other tracks were written and composed by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora. Despite the influences the band infused on this record, soul, R&B, blues 1970s and 1990s rock, the band and producer Peter Collins find a balance which sound definitively Bon Jovi. The inspiration for "Something For The Pain" was T. Rex and old early 1970s stuff. As for musical inspiration for "This Ain't A Love Song" and "Hearts Breaking Even" are more of old soul music and R&B. "Damned" is the one of Jon Bon Jovi's favorite track on the album. As he said "it has the Asbury Jukes horns, which is a big thrill for me. I only ever wanted to be a juke".

About the lyrics

Jon Bon Jovi stated that even though the album was their darkest, the band was in a very happy place at the time. "Hey God" is written by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora in Jon Bon Jovi's basement. Jon Bon Jovi was inspired the view out of the window from 57th St. and Broadway in New York, a guy with an Armani suit on next to a guys that's sleeping on the street. "Something For The Pain" was the most difficult to write, says Jon Bon Jovi. They kept rewriting until the chorus to make it make sense. "My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms" was written from a writing session where they were hit with writer’s block. Taking a cue from the opening line of "Bed of Roses" ("Sitting here wasted and wounded at this old piano, Trying hard to capture the moment"), Jon Bon Jovi instead of putting the pen down, wrote about his experience and out of it is one of the band’s most ingenious compositions. "Damned" is about a guy who involved with a married woman. "(It's Hard) Letting You Go" was written by Jon Bon Jovi for the movie called Moonlight and Valentino in which he appeared. "Something To Believe In" is an introspective song about a guy questioning everything around him. Richie Sambora’s "Hey, hey, hey" chant on the song is lifted from the demo. It was spot-on they kept it and used it on the record. "Diamond Ring" was originally written for the album New Jersey in 1988. But never made it on the any previous Bon Jovi records.

Unfortunately, even the band underrates this album (?!) It was released on 1995, and they toured until 1996 to promote it. They split and only cameback on 2000, with the pathetic album Crush. It's sad that they went from their masterpiece to their worst album on only 5 years, and never truly "recovered'. Between 2000 and 2005 the band didn't play songs from this album apart from really really special ocasions, can you believe it?! On the Have A Nice Day Tour, the song Damned was on the setlist, but that's all. Then on 2010 on the South American leg of The Circle Tour, they played These Days on 3 concerts in a row for the first time sine 1996, because the album is so popular down here. It is by far their best work, and you people should really check it out, you won't regret.

status quo

agalloch

insomnium

mountain

the outlaws

lake of tears

those are just a couple off my head that need more mainstream love :lol:

I've heard only 1 Insomnium song but I know they went to the same high school I did :awesomeface:

EDIT: just checked out their Wikipedia page, apparently they are much more popular than I ever thought. Headlining tours and all :shock:

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup

Let's talk about underrated music: songs, albums and even bands and genres.

I'll start with my favorite album of one of my favorite bands: These Days, by Bon Jovi, from 1995.

These+Days+-+1995.jpg

Bon Jovi's masterpiece, by far. Really far.

These Days. It is one of my favorite albums of all time, it's a real fantastic album. It's Bon Jovi most mature and serious album. Jon said on some interviews, more than once, that after 10 years of carreer, they started to think if all of what had happened to them was fair: They were so rich they had everything they wanted, they could do anything, and why God decided to help them instead of others who probably needed more than them? And that question refleted on the music, on the lyris, on the vibe... On the whole album.

The album is simply amazing on every aspet: it features Jon's and Richie's best lyrics, Jon's best vocal work on his whole carrer, Richie's best riffs and solos. And yet, Tico Torres (drums) and David Bryan (keyboards) had more space in this album than in any other, David make some really beautiful work on practically the whole album.

Honestly, I don't think it has one bad song, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

Hey God, All I Want Is Everything, Something For The Pain, Damned, My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms... All raw rock songs with an amazing instrumental work, with incredible riffs and solos.

It has obviously some great ballads like This Ain't a Love Song, Hearts Breaking Even, Diamond Ring and Bitter Wine, with again an amazing instrumental, with stuff they had never tried before. Diamond Ring has some interesting acoustic guitar work, and Bitter Wine has some beautiful piano mixed with acoustic guitar. Interesting thing though, is that none of those ballads sounds "honeydew", like some other Bon Jovi ballads.

Album also features some of Bon Jovi most beautiful music, the title song, These Days, and Something To Believe In, which is simply amazingly beautiful.

About the music

Jon Bon Jovi is credited with composing the music for all of the album's tracks. Richie Sambora is also credited with composing the music for all of the album's tracks, except "(It's Hard) Letting You Go", "Something To Believe In", both was written and composed by Jon Bon Jovi. And he is not credited on "Hearts Breaking Even", which was written and composed by Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child. Desmond Child is also credited with composing "Something For The Pain", "This Ain't A Love Song" and "Diamond Ring". The all of the other tracks were written and composed by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora. Despite the influences the band infused on this record, soul, R&B, blues 1970s and 1990s rock, the band and producer Peter Collins find a balance which sound definitively Bon Jovi. The inspiration for "Something For The Pain" was T. Rex and old early 1970s stuff. As for musical inspiration for "This Ain't A Love Song" and "Hearts Breaking Even" are more of old soul music and R&B. "Damned" is the one of Jon Bon Jovi's favorite track on the album. As he said "it has the Asbury Jukes horns, which is a big thrill for me. I only ever wanted to be a juke".

About the lyrics

Jon Bon Jovi stated that even though the album was their darkest, the band was in a very happy place at the time. "Hey God" is written by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora in Jon Bon Jovi's basement. Jon Bon Jovi was inspired the view out of the window from 57th St. and Broadway in New York, a guy with an Armani suit on next to a guys that's sleeping on the street. "Something For The Pain" was the most difficult to write, says Jon Bon Jovi. They kept rewriting until the chorus to make it make sense. "My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms" was written from a writing session where they were hit with writer’s block. Taking a cue from the opening line of "Bed of Roses" ("Sitting here wasted and wounded at this old piano, Trying hard to capture the moment"), Jon Bon Jovi instead of putting the pen down, wrote about his experience and out of it is one of the band’s most ingenious compositions. "Damned" is about a guy who involved with a married woman. "(It's Hard) Letting You Go" was written by Jon Bon Jovi for the movie called Moonlight and Valentino in which he appeared. "Something To Believe In" is an introspective song about a guy questioning everything around him. Richie Sambora’s "Hey, hey, hey" chant on the song is lifted from the demo. It was spot-on they kept it and used it on the record. "Diamond Ring" was originally written for the album New Jersey in 1988. But never made it on the any previous Bon Jovi records.

Unfortunately, even the band underrates this album (?!) It was released on 1995, and they toured until 1996 to promote it. They split and only cameback on 2000, with the pathetic album Crush. It's sad that they went from their masterpiece to their worst album on only 5 years, and never truly "recovered'. Between 2000 and 2005 the band didn't play songs from this album apart from really really special ocasions, can you believe it?! On the Have A Nice Day Tour, the song Damned was on the setlist, but that's all. Then on 2010 on the South American leg of The Circle Tour, they played These Days on 3 concerts in a row for the first time sine 1996, because the album is so popular down here. It is by far their best work, and you people should really check it out, you won't regret.

I'd rate These Days and Keep The Faith about equally, and both are in a completely different league from the rest of their albums (ones I've heard anyway). Past the second line, tl;dr

status quo

agalloch

insomnium

mountain

the outlaws

lake of tears

those are just a couple off my head that need more mainstream love :lol:

I've heard only 1 Insomnium song but I know they went to the same high school I did :awesomeface:

EDIT: just checked out their Wikipedia page, apparently they are much more popular than I ever thought. Headlining tours and all :shock:

wow! that is so cool. in america they have a decent following, in the metal community they are quite big world wide, but i think they deserve much more, they have music videos as well.

Bruce Dickinson's experimental era. People either love Tattooed or they love Bruce's last three albums. You never see anyone crazy about the Balls and Skunkworks eras, and those are his most genius eras. They just don't give 'em enough of a chance.

How many songs do you know that sound like these?

Those other albums (as great as they are... barring Tattooed, which is by far his worst effort) are really safe. Not only were Balls and Skunkworks risky, but they were also excellent. "Cyclops" is easily better than most of The Chemical Wedding and all of Tattooed.

tattooed millionaire is my favorite bruce solo album it is mostly due to nostalgia.

i like all bruce's solo albums they all have their own sound to them and they really dont sound like maiden which is something i always respected about bruce.

balls to picasso and skunkworks are very underrated albums i had them only on cassette for a very long time i was in a music store about 2 years ago and found both albums in the used section for 3.99 a piece and i bought both :lol:

stranger in paradise,back from the edge,inside the machine are amazing tracks off skunkworks

and cyclops, hiding in the bush,hell no, gods of war off of balls to picasso

Sometimes I wonder if Skunkworks is my favorite purely for nostalgia, too. :lol: Intellectually, I believe Tyranny of Souls is by far his best, but I'm too attached to Skunkworks. I agree that they all have their own distinctive sounds, and that's why I think he's the most interesting metal solo artist.

Balls is probably his most interesting, especially examining the B-sides ("The Breeding House," "No Way Out... To Be Continued," "No Way Out... Continued," etc.). All the songs have the same feel, yet they're completely different. It's a compelling album.

Skunkworks is probably his most emotional work. Those lyrics are the most venomous I've ever heard him.