10 Reasons the '70s were Rock's best decade

Vincent Vega

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why the above reasons by SugarayLen are a load of bollocks:

5) Punk existed because 70s rock sucked, it is not a part of 70s rock, it was the remedy to it.

I noticed you have a tendency to comment on things you have absolutely no clue about :lol: (Miguel Cotto comes to mind :lol:) so i'm gonna file this under agitation and give you a pass :lol: You have the most pedestrian, lightweight, middle aged caucasian housewife in the midst of a midlife crisis type taste in music so, y'know, what can a boy say here really? One word, Springsteen, rubber stamp, next in line :lol:

I have a tendency to comment on things I have no clue... but this is not the case. Whoever says 70s rock sucked shouldn't be allowed to comment about music. I'm not saying punk sucks, I like punk, but 70s rock was fuckin' great. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen... come on... :P

I'll give you the rest but Queen are fucking shit! :rolleyes:

5) Punk existed because 70s rock sucked, it is not a part of 70s rock, it was the remedy to it.

I noticed you have a tendency to comment on things you have absolutely no clue about :lol: (Miguel Cotto comes to mind :lol:) so i'm gonna file this under agitation and give you a pass :lol: You have the most pedestrian, lightweight, middle aged caucasian housewife in the midst of a midlife crisis type taste in music so, y'know, what can a boy say here really? One word, Springsteen, rubber stamp, next in line :lol:

I have a tendency to comment on things I have no clue... but this is not the case. Whoever says 70s rock sucked shouldn't be allowed to comment about music. I'm not saying punk sucks, I like punk, but 70s rock was fuckin' great. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen... come on... :P

No.

No.

Yes.

A Brit that doesn't think Queen was the second coming of Christ.

Well holy fuckin shit! :lol:

00's > 60's = 50's > 70's > 90's > 80's

00's the best? Really? To each it's own, I guess.

He's either got really shit taste in music or a really good sense of humour! :lol:

I have fantastic taste.

I find music that is quality, and relevant to my time, age, and culture.

A Brit that doesn't think Queen was the second coming of Christ.

Well holy fuckin shit! :lol:

Ballet to the masses? Hahaha! Give it a fuckin' rest eh Freddie? :lol:

I find music that is quality, and relevant to my time, age, and culture.

Guess it's not your fault that your time, age and culture are shite! :lol:

I don't think so :shrugs:

Seems I was wide of the mark about the sense of humour too eh? :P

Len, I get what you're saying...but it sounds straight out of the "where did punk come from" handbooks.

There was a LOT going on in the 70's, in all different directions, flavours and calibres.

Alice Cooper Group at the top of the list man.

The impact and influence of that one band right there was just immeasurable.

And they were no hippy leftover dandruff.

00's > 60's = 50's > 70's > 90's > 80's

My fuckin milk is coming out my nose :rofl-lol:

IMO, 70's=80's=90's>50's=60's>00's

Yes, the stereotypical New Wave/Glam horseshit of the 80's sucked huge dick, but the really good shit owned.

Lol. Like anything in the 70s was better than Bob Dylan. Give me a fucking break man.

That is beyond ridiculous. Even if you don't agree with the unpopular opinion that the 00s are better certainly than the 80s and 90s, you can't seriously believe that the 80s and 90s trump Elvis, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, BB King, or Bob Dylan.

Your ignorance is showing, which is shame because you're one of the better posters here.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Guest Len B'stard

Queen are shite, Sabbath are a bunch of Brummie factory workers that sound like a shit Cream with a copy of the ladybird book of Ghostie Stories, Zep are overrated as fuck, Bowie is a God and AC/ DC are fuckin brilliant :)

Len, I get what you're saying...but it sounds straight out of the "where did punk come from" handbooks.

There was a LOT going on in the 70's, in all different directions, flavours and calibres.

Alice Cooper Group at the top of the list man.

The impact and influence of that one band right there was just immeasurable.

And they were no hippy leftover dandruff.

Yeah i agree there was a lot of substance going on but the best shit weren't coming out of rock when you stack it up, hence my listing what i thought was the cool stuff at the bottom of the post, The Who was doing cool stuff, Stones

Too but generally speaking gimme the reggae, the krautrock, the motown, the soul and the boys down in Soho

I have a tendency to comment on things I have no clue... but this is not the case. Whoever says 70s rock sucked shouldn't be allowed to comment about music. I'm not saying punk sucks, I like punk, but 70s rock was fuckin' great. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen... come on...

Queen are shite, Sabbath are a bunch of Brummie factory workers that sound like a shit Cream with a copy of the ladybird book of Ghostie Stories, Zep are overrated as fuck, Bowie is a God and AC/ DC are fuckin brilliant :)

QUeen are shit?! Are u fuckin' nuts?! :crazy: Sabbath are amazing (though Dio > Ozzy), Zep is not overrated (you know who is overrated? John Lydon :P). I couldn't agree more with the other two though.

Guest Len B'stard

I have a tendency to comment on things I have no clue... but this is not the case. Whoever says 70s rock sucked shouldn't be allowed to comment about music. I'm not saying punk sucks, I like punk, but 70s rock was fuckin' great. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen... come on...

QUeen are shit?! Are u fuckin' nuts?! :crazy: Sabbath are amazing (though Dio > Ozzy), Zep is not overrated (you know who is overrated? John Lydon :P). I couldn't agree more with the other two though.

Yeah, they are. They played their instruments well and everything and Freddie was a great frontman for the job but to me their music was a bunch of effete nonsense, Sabbath, again, it's just like...haphazard heavy blues stuff for dim-heads that eventually morphed into like, "heavy metal", the biggest bullshit genre on the face of the earth, it's just people trying to do what the fuckin' heavy trios of the 60s did not very well and Zep are just really really talented bores, few shining moments but generally just a bunch of fuckin'...aimless sounding (although very well put together and played) shit. They just don't have that...sharp, focused thing where you look at a band and you listen to their music and they really seem to be like...about something.

As far as John Lydon being shit, i'm willing to bet that you've not even heard fuck all John Lydons done outside of The Sex Pistols so, again, Miguel Cotto syndrome :lol: Tell me, which album of Johns would you say was overrated, aside from the one with The Pistols and why as in what about it did you not get on with?

Edited by sugaraylen

The last great decade of rock was 90s, since then it all went downhill. It is almost exactly like Chris Cornell said in some recent interview that he had been sure back in 97 when they broke up Sundgarden that there would be new exciting band to forge their legacy. What's happened ? Soundgarden reunion is huge story and band gets more love than ever, because there are no bands from late 90s and 2000s that made it really big and stayed relevant to this day.

Yeah, they are. They played their instruments well and everything and Freddie was a great frontman for the job but to me their music was a bunch of effete nonsense, Sabbath, again, it's just like...haphazard heavy blues stuff for dim-heads that eventually morphed into like, "heavy metal", the biggest bullshit genre on the face of the earth, it's just people trying to do what the fuckin' heavy trios of the 60s did not very well and Zep are just really really talented bores, few shining moments but generally just a bunch of fuckin'...aimless sounding (although very well put together and played) shit. They just don't have that...sharp, focused thing where you look at a band and you listen to their music and they really seem to be like...about something.

As far as John Lydon being shit, i'm willing to bet that you've not even heard fuck all John Lydons done outside of The Sex Pistols so, again, Miguel Cotto syndrome :lol: Tell me, which album of Johns would you say was overrated, aside from the one with The Pistols and why as in what about it did you not get on with?

So, according to you, this...

...is better than this:

:crazy:

Public Image LTD is miles better then anything The Pistols have ever done well I mean NMTHB Led Zeppelin made aimless sound ? holy crap each to his own but this has to be the biggest crock of bullshit by far Zepp is the best Rock band of all times always was, always will be there is no and never will be another band like them few shining moments ? I bet you have n`t listened to their discography from start to finish they covered almost every style and genre known to mankind Sabbath was a great band too not in Zepp`s league but still legendary and influential agree about Queen can`t stand them

Edited by Son of a Guns

Guest Len B'stard

I'd say the first 3 albums of Public Image Limited and some of the best music recorded since the 2nd World War. There is literally no peer, no equal, no plausible competition to the albums Metal Box and The Flowers of Romance by PiL (fronted by John Lydon). It is, simply put, some of the important and influential and original music ever recorded.

I'd say the first 3 albums of Public Image Limited and some of the best music recorded since the 2nd World War. There is literally no peer, no equal, no plausible competition to the albums Metal Box and The Flowers of Romance by PiL (fronted by John Lydon). It is, simply put, some of the important and influential and original music ever recorded.

Tell the truth, you live in a mental hospital, right?

Guest Len B'stard

Public Image LTD is miles better then anything The Pistols have ever done well I mean NMTHB Led Zeppelin made aimless sound ? holy crap each to his own but this has to be the biggest crock of bullshit by far Zepp is the best Rock band of all times always was, always will be there is no and never will be another band like them few shining moments ? I bet you have n`t listened to their discography from start to finish they covered almost every style and genre known to mankind Sabbath was a great band too not in Zepp`s league but still legendary and influential agree about Queen can`t stand them

Really? Well thats interesting, how much would you like to bet? You'd be right if you were talking about Sabbath, i've only listened to two of their albums but Zep i've listened to every single one of them. I'm sorry but i just don't agree with you that they were that impressive. Like i said, good musicans, very talented but boring as fuck with it.

And that whole "covered every genre" thing, y'know, it's the foremost point used by fans of try-hard diletante to try and make their band sound good. They tried different genres, well whopee, whats...y'know, whats the big deal about that? I mean it's a great idea and everything but it shouldn't be, in and of itself, something worth singing up a band for. To my mind, those are the people that make the worst kind of xerox, didn't-quite-get-it-right type music ever.

This calculated attempt to show everybody what a rich and varied taste you have by covering different genres is rather disingenuous. Take PiL for example, nothing on this fuckin' planet sounds like that and if you really pick them apart you can find influences of all sorts of music in it but it's not a wholesale forgery or a take on another genre for like...one song and then off, y'know, ooh, reggaes in this year, lets chuck a bit of skank in there and we'll be well "with it", to me thats bordering on disrespectful to the music more than it is some kind of tribute or mark of respect for it.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to dip your toe in as much different waters as you can but to come out trying to sound like something else is...i mean there's nothing wrong with it per se, some people do it fucking brilliantly and make wonderful infinitely listenable songs with it but at the same time, i don't think those bands are quite ones that can justifiably referred to as "the best of all times", to me bands that get that lofty sort of praise should be like...highly fuckin' original as well as a few other things...and Zeppelin aren't even interesting.