10 Reasons the '70s were Rock's best decade

Vincent Vega

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

I'd say the first 3 albums of Public Image Limited and some of the best music recorded since the 2nd World War. There is literally no peer, no equal, no plausible competition to the albums Metal Box and The Flowers of Romance by PiL (fronted by John Lydon). It is, simply put, some of the important and influential and original music ever recorded.

Tell the truth, you live in a mental hospital, right?

No dear see what happens is right, there'll be a song right...and i'll listen to it...and if i like it i'll go "i like that" and if i don't i'll go "i ain't havin' that" and i make my mind up solely on that basis. I've always been suspicious of people whoose musical tastes read like a rundown of Billboards best sellers. It just seems too much of a happy coincidence y'know, EVERY band a given person likes is like, these giants of rock.

And, at the risk of offending you, you get this a lot from people of a more European persuasion, i get the impression that, perhaps, these are people that spent a lot of time being fed their tastes by American media outlets and they listen to songs like Born to Run and shit like that and they're perhaps subconciously fulfilling some kind of ideal of Americana in their head through their musical tastes. You get it a lot with people from Asia and India too, thats why these big "monsters of rock" are huge in like, Japan and all over the East really, cuz people are sold these half baked fuckin' ideals and images of a culture, of which this music is part and parcel of and they appear to buy into it, wholesale.

But scratch the surface, there's a lot more to music that Freddie Bulsara poncing about in black and white checked tights looking like a fuckin' kitchen lino off the dettol adverts.

"BALLET TO THE MASSES!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dazey, don't, please :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

I'd say the first 3 albums of Public Image Limited and some of the best music recorded since the 2nd World War. There is literally no peer, no equal, no plausible competition to the albums Metal Box and The Flowers of Romance by PiL (fronted by John Lydon). It is, simply put, some of the important and influential and original music ever recorded.

No dear see what happens is right, there'll be a song right...and i'll listen to it...and if i like it i'll go "i like that" and if i don't i'll go "i ain't havin' that" and i make my mind up solely on that basis. I've always been suspicious of people whoose musical tastes read like a rundown of Billboards best sellers. It just seems too much of a happy coincidence y'know, EVERY band a given person likes is like, these giants of rock.

And, at the risk of offending you, you get this a lot from people of a more European persuasion, i get the impression that, perhaps, these are people that spent a lot of time being fed their tastes by American media outlets and they listen to songs like Born to Run and shit like that and they're perhaps subconciously fulfilling some kind of ideal of Americana in their head through their musical tastes.

Yep... well... as if the Sex Pistols weren't a manufactured product. :rolleyes:

Guest Len B'stard

I mean come on our kid! Is this not the biggest load of puffed up poncified bollocks you ever did hear? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP6L-__uiqs

I can honestly say, and you can write this up and i'll fuckin' sign my name to it and go get it attested, that i've never met an interesting Queen fan in my life. They're always like, old men, i've noticed. Ratty lookin' fuckers with 60s hang-over beards with paunches that support Yeoville Town FC and used to be school teachers before the younger generations made em have a nervous breakdown and retire on a spaccer pension :lol:

And, at the risk of offending you, you get this a lot from people of a more European persuasion, i get the impression that, perhaps, these are people that spent a lot of time being fed their tastes by American media outlets and they listen to songs like Born to Run and shit like that and they're perhaps subconciously fulfilling some kind of ideal of Americana in their head through their musical tastes.

Yep... well... as if the Sex Pistols weren't a manufactured product. :rolleyes:

Manufactured by whom?

Manufactured by whom?

*whispers* She's catholic. Reckon she means by god. You know what they're like eh fella? ;)

I mean come on our kid! Is this not the biggest load of puffed up poncified bollocks you ever did hear? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP6L-__uiqs

I'm from the lower middle class and I always enjoyed classical music. Isn't this just magnificent?

The second video's wonderful.

I have a tendency to comment on things I have no clue... but this is not the case. Whoever says 70s rock sucked shouldn't be allowed to comment about music. I'm not saying punk sucks, I like punk, but 70s rock was fuckin' great. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen... come on...

I'll give you the rest but Queen are fucking shit! :rolleyes:

Queen are shite, Sabbath are a bunch of Brummie factory workers that sound like a shit Cream with a copy of the ladybird book of Ghostie Stories, Zep are overrated as fuck, Bowie is a God and AC/ DC are fuckin brilliant :)

QUeen are shit?! Are u fuckin' nuts?! :crazy: Sabbath are amazing (though Dio > Ozzy), Zep is not overrated (you know who is overrated? John Lydon :P). I couldn't agree more with the other two though.

Yeah, they are. They played their instruments well and everything and Freddie was a great frontman for the job but to me their music was a bunch of effete nonsense, Sabbath, again, it's just like...haphazard heavy blues stuff for dim-heads that eventually morphed into like, "heavy metal", the biggest bullshit genre on the face of the earth, it's just people trying to do what the fuckin' heavy trios of the 60s did not very well and Zep are just really really talented bores, few shining moments but generally just a bunch of fuckin'...aimless sounding (although very well put together and played) shit. They just don't have that...sharp, focused thing where you look at a band and you listen to their music and they really seem to be like...about something.

As far as John Lydon being shit, i'm willing to bet that you've not even heard fuck all John Lydons done outside of The Sex Pistols so, again, Miguel Cotto syndrome :lol: Tell me, which album of Johns would you say was overrated, aside from the one with The Pistols and why as in what about it did you not get on with?

Public Image LTD is miles better then anything The Pistols have ever done well I mean NMTHB Led Zeppelin made aimless sound ? holy crap each to his own but this has to be the biggest crock of bullshit by far Zepp is the best Rock band of all times always was, always will be there is no and never will be another band like them few shining moments ? I bet you have n`t listened to their discography from start to finish they covered almost every style and genre known to mankind Sabbath was a great band too not in Zepp`s league but still legendary and influential agree about Queen can`t stand them

Really? Well thats interesting, how much would you like to bet? You'd be right if you were talking about Sabbath, i've only listened to two of their albums but Zep i've listened to every single one of them. I'm sorry but i just don't agree with you that they were that impressive. Like i said, good musicans, very talented but boring as fuck with it.

And that whole "covered every genre" thing, y'know, it's the foremost point used by fans of try-hard diletante to try and make their band sound good. They tried different genres, well whopee, whats...y'know, whats the big deal about that? I mean it's a great idea and everything but it shouldn't be, in and of itself, something worth singing up a band for. To my mind, those are the people that make the worst kind of xerox, didn't-quite-get-it-right type music ever.

This calculated attempt to show everybody what a rich and varied taste you have by covering different genres is rather disingenuous. Take PiL for example, nothing on this fuckin' planet sounds like that and if you really pick them apart you can find influences of all sorts of music in it but it's not a wholesale forgery or a take on another genre for like...one song and then off, y'know, ooh, reggaes in this year, lets chuck a bit of skank in there and we'll be well "with it", to me thats bordering on disrespectful to the music more than it is some kind of tribute or mark of respect for it.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to dip your toe in as much different waters as you can but to come out trying to sound like something else is...i mean there's nothing wrong with it per se, some people do it fucking brilliantly and make wonderful infinitely listenable songs with it but at the same time, i don't think those bands are quite ones that can justifiably referred to as "the best of all times", to me bands that get that lofty sort of praise should be like...highly fuckin' original as well as a few other things...and Zeppelin aren't even interesting.

Big fucking LOL ar this horseshit you smoke something really strange can`t be arsed to read all of this yeah you`re right Zepp made aimless xerox, didn't-quite-get-it-right type music and The Pistols ( I dig them ) who could barely bend strings on guitar made unforgettable amazing ground breaking earth shattering music blah blah blah crap you don`t have to agree with me and you`re entittled to like and dislike whatever the fuck you want but to call Zepp unoriginal is lolsworthy to say the least

Edited by Son of a Guns

Punk Rock's a lot more aimless and boring than Sabbath and Zepp....You know exactly what you're getting every time with Punk, angst and rebellious anger, same shit different song, limited array of chords, recycled sort of rhythms....Revolutionary my ass. That's why only a few select Punk Bands out of thousands are remembered today....Compared with almost every 70s non Punk group being remembered in some way. Punk was very limited and got stale a lot faster than mainstream rock did.

Guest Len B'stard

Manufactured by whom?

You're so naïve sometimes... :rolleyes:

I'm frequently naive dear but that doesn't have any relevance to the fact that you couldn't answer my question here, could you? The only people that you can concievably cite as having manufactured the Pistols is, firstly, their management and quite honestly, if you seriously believe that Malcolm McLaren plucked four boys from obscurity, dressed them up, got them fired from record companies for the purposes of embezzling their money with the pay outs they are obliged to pay for breaking contracts and basically was pulling the strings on the whole thing, up to and including the death of a 21 yr old man, as per his movie "The Great Rock n Roll Swindle" then maybe you wanna think about how naive you are.

Unless you're suggesting they were manufactured by record companies. Well, which one, EMI, the one that got one single out of them and ended up paying them hundreds of thousands of pounds for doing almost nothing before firing them, that company? Or A&M records, the company they were with for a week, did almost no work for again and were paid hundreds of thousands, again, just to leave, do you mean that company? Or perhaps you mean Warner Bros that signed for a half a million, got a 12 day tour of America out of it and nothing besides.

What you're saying is, that these record companies (or one of them) manufactured a band for the purposes of losing money? The Sex Pistols were absolutely the worst investment in the history of rock n roll, record companies do not manufacture bands that end up getting them bad publicity, make them lose fuckloads of money and end up taking the legs out of any mileage this movement (punk) might've had within the mainstream due to bad publicity regarding who The Pistols were and what they were about, up to and including (but not exclusively) the death of one of it's members after a murder charge...if record companies were that thick they would've all gone under before rock n roll even got off the ground.

I have a tendency to comment on things I have no clue... but this is not the case. Whoever says 70s rock sucked shouldn't be allowed to comment about music. I'm not saying punk sucks, I like punk, but 70s rock was fuckin' great. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen... come on...

I'll give you the rest but Queen are fucking shit! :rolleyes:

Queen are shite, Sabbath are a bunch of Brummie factory workers that sound like a shit Cream with a copy of the ladybird book of Ghostie Stories, Zep are overrated as fuck, Bowie is a God and AC/ DC are fuckin brilliant :)

QUeen are shit?! Are u fuckin' nuts?! :crazy: Sabbath are amazing (though Dio > Ozzy), Zep is not overrated (you know who is overrated? John Lydon :P). I couldn't agree more with the other two though.

Yeah, they are. They played their instruments well and everything and Freddie was a great frontman for the job but to me their music was a bunch of effete nonsense, Sabbath, again, it's just like...haphazard heavy blues stuff for dim-heads that eventually morphed into like, "heavy metal", the biggest bullshit genre on the face of the earth, it's just people trying to do what the fuckin' heavy trios of the 60s did not very well and Zep are just really really talented bores, few shining moments but generally just a bunch of fuckin'...aimless sounding (although very well put together and played) shit. They just don't have that...sharp, focused thing where you look at a band and you listen to their music and they really seem to be like...about something.

As far as John Lydon being shit, i'm willing to bet that you've not even heard fuck all John Lydons done outside of The Sex Pistols so, again, Miguel Cotto syndrome :lol: Tell me, which album of Johns would you say was overrated, aside from the one with The Pistols and why as in what about it did you not get on with?

Public Image LTD is miles better then anything The Pistols have ever done well I mean NMTHB Led Zeppelin made aimless sound ? holy crap each to his own but this has to be the biggest crock of bullshit by far Zepp is the best Rock band of all times always was, always will be there is no and never will be another band like them few shining moments ? I bet you have n`t listened to their discography from start to finish they covered almost every style and genre known to mankind Sabbath was a great band too not in Zepp`s league but still legendary and influential agree about Queen can`t stand them

Really? Well thats interesting, how much would you like to bet? You'd be right if you were talking about Sabbath, i've only listened to two of their albums but Zep i've listened to every single one of them. I'm sorry but i just don't agree with you that they were that impressive. Like i said, good musicans, very talented but boring as fuck with it.

And that whole "covered every genre" thing, y'know, it's the foremost point used by fans of try-hard diletante to try and make their band sound good. They tried different genres, well whopee, whats...y'know, whats the big deal about that? I mean it's a great idea and everything but it shouldn't be, in and of itself, something worth singing up a band for. To my mind, those are the people that make the worst kind of xerox, didn't-quite-get-it-right type music ever.

This calculated attempt to show everybody what a rich and varied taste you have by covering different genres is rather disingenuous. Take PiL for example, nothing on this fuckin' planet sounds like that and if you really pick them apart you can find influences of all sorts of music in it but it's not a wholesale forgery or a take on another genre for like...one song and then off, y'know, ooh, reggaes in this year, lets chuck a bit of skank in there and we'll be well "with it", to me thats bordering on disrespectful to the music more than it is some kind of tribute or mark of respect for it.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to dip your toe in as much different waters as you can but to come out trying to sound like something else is...i mean there's nothing wrong with it per se, some people do it fucking brilliantly and make wonderful infinitely listenable songs with it but at the same time, i don't think those bands are quite ones that can justifiably referred to as "the best of all times", to me bands that get that lofty sort of praise should be like...highly fuckin' original as well as a few other things...and Zeppelin aren't even interesting.

Big fucking LOL ar this horseshit you smoke something really strange can`t be arsed to read all of this yeah you`re right Zepp made aimless xerox, didn't-quite-get-it-right type music and The Pistols ( I dig them ) who could barely bend strings on guitar made unforgettable amazing ground breaking earth shattering music blah blah blah crap you don`t have to agree with me and you`re entittled to like and dislike whatever the fuck you want but to call Zepp unoriginal is lolsworthy to say the least

So you're replying to something you haven't read? And OK, if Zep were original, explain to me how, what about them was original? Like i said before, i think they were good musicians, i just find their music boring, it's an opinion that i'm entitled to and an opinion that, if i may say so, carries slightly more weight than just a stand alone statement because it's something that I am willing to explain, something you've not done.

And come on, Zep original, really? They ripped off the blues like fuck...and i'm not talking about taking influences, i'm talking about nicking pieces of music. "Borrowing" i've heard a few Zep fans call it, this ain't something i've pulled out of my arse here, this is your favorite band, the one about whom you were willing to bet that i hadn't heard all the albums (we still on for that bet?), i'm starting to wonder whether you've heard em all at this point.

I like some of their stuff, i think Black Dog and Rock n Roll are fucking immense. But greatest band of all time? Right, yeah...and oh, i think you'll find Glen Matlock and Steve Jones can bend strings on guitars just fine...dunno about John and Paul but they can be forgiven being that one was a singer and one was a drummer.

Edited by sugaraylen

Manufactured by whom?

I'm frequently naive dear but that doesn't have any relevance to the fact that you couldn't answer my question here, could you?

Could the 21 years old dead man play the bass?

They were like Lady Gaga... "let's be controversial as hell and people won't notice our lack of talent".

Guest Len B'stard

Manufactured by whom?

I'm frequently naive dear but that doesn't have any relevance to the fact that you couldn't answer my question here, could you?

Could the 21 years old dead man play the bass?

They were like Lady Gaga... "let's be controversial as hell and people won't notice our lack of talent".

Well, depends what you mean, he weren't John Entwhistle, lets put it that way. Sorry, lack of talent? In what respect? Are you saying Steve Jones is not a good guitar player? Cuz he's one of the most solid and brutal rhythm players i've ever come across in my life, i think it was Bill Price, who later worked on the Use Your Illusions albums that called him the tightest lead guitarist he'd ever heard. Other than that, what, are you saying Glen Matlock couldn't play bass? Or Paul Cook couldn't play drums?

And John Lydon i think you'll find is one of the most inventive creators of music alive today. A lot of people respond badly to sounds they don't recognise because their ear ain't trained to absorb nothing original after years of being beaten down by Billboards top 100, shame but Mr Lydon stands on his record, it doesn't require my fanfare, the proof is in the pudding...but then why am i even telling you this, you've not even heard most of the music you're criticising :lol:

Before there was any controversy, before there was swearing on the TV, before there was the murders and overdoses and mental shit, at a fundamental grassroots level people came in, saw The Pistols and had their fuckin' minds blown. People went out and formed bands from just seeing them live, before there was any mass media reference point to what punk was all about.

What controversy was there at the Lesser Free Trade Hall when half of Manchester saw them play and flocked out of there with heads full of ideas and went out and eventually ended up in bands from Slaughter and the Dogs, The Smiths, Jot Division, New Order, even poets like John Cooper Clarke and local media personalities like Tony Wilson, BEFORE there was anything resembling controversy, this is the legacy of The Sex Pistols, not swearing and spitting.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

I LOVEEE David Bowie...more than words can describe. And AC/DC were fuckin' lethal for as long as they had that hairy chested Aussie space-case Bon Scott with em. Not that the other fella was bad, Brian whatshisface but the couple of albums that i was reccomended of theirs, High Voltage and Highway to Hell that i got my love for them from, i've not heard no better album out of them that those :)

A lot of people who say The Pistols were manufactured say most of those punk bands that followed were manufactured. Heard that about the Clash, too. The only true posers were The Police, even Copeland and Sting have said it themselves.

The "Great Rock and Roll Swindle" was a joke title anyway. Or "Who Killed Bambi" (answer: we did).

McLaren didn't make much money off of them, if anyone made out fine, it was Lydon.

Guest Len B'stard

A lot of people who say The Pistols were manufactured say most of those punk bands that followed were manufactured. Heard that about the Clash, too. The only true posers were The Police, even Copeland and Sting have said it themselves.

The "Great Rock and Roll Swindle" was a joke title anyway. Or "Who Killed Bambi" (answer: we did).

McLaren didn't make much money off of them, if anyone made out fine, it was Lydon.

Thank you and here we have that rare and precious commodity, someone who knows what he's talking about :)

Soundgarden reunion is huge story and band gets more love than ever, because there are no bands from late 90s and 2000s that made it really big and stayed relevant to this day.

'cept these guys huh? But let's not let a few facts get in the way of a good bit of bullshit yeah? :lol:

Soundgarden reunion is huge story and band gets more love than ever, because there are no bands from late 90s and 2000s that made it really big and stayed relevant to this day.

You're joking right

Foo Fighters are going out on top, I think they're the biggest band to come out of the 90s that made it through the past decade, maybe Green Day's right behind them.

I don't know if Soundgarden could get back the momentum they had, even though they still sound great. They did break up at the right time, got back together and still had the ability to work on new music. That is impressive in itself, but they're doing no better or worse than Stone Temple Pilots or GNR. Radiohead are still going, but I just think because they stuck around, lost fans because they're not young and hip anymore?

Edited by dalsh327

I LOVEEE David Bowie...more than words can describe. And AC/DC were fuckin' lethal for as long as they had that hairy chested Aussie space-case Bon Scott with em. Not that the other fella was bad, Brian whatshisface but the couple of albums that i was reccomended of theirs, High Voltage and Highway to Hell that i got my love for them from, i've not heard no better album out of them that those :)

I agree with every single word. :)

Punk on the other hand... :P

You're joking right

Foo Fighters are going out on top, I think they're the biggest band to come out of the 90s that made it through the past decade, maybe Green Day's right behind them.

I don't know if Soundgarden could get back the momentum they had, even though they still sound great. They did break up at the right time, got back together and still had the ability to work on new music. That is impressive in itself, but they're doing no better or worse than Stone Temple Pilots or GNR. Radiohead are still going, but I just think because they stuck around, lost fans because they're not young and hip anymore?

Radiohead is by far and away the most popular and biggest band of the 90s.

NIN is also bigger than SoundGarden.