10 Reasons the '70s were Rock's best decade

Vincent Vega

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soundgarden reunion is huge story and band gets more love than ever, because there are no bands from late 90s and 2000s that made it really big and stayed relevant to this day.

You're joking right

Foo Fighters are going out on top, I think they're the biggest band to come out of the 90s that made it through the past decade, maybe Green Day's right behind them.

I don't know if Soundgarden could get back the momentum they had, even though they still sound great. They did break up at the right time, got back together and still had the ability to work on new music. That is impressive in itself, but they're doing no better or worse than Stone Temple Pilots or GNR. Radiohead are still going, but I just think because they stuck around, lost fans because they're not young and hip anymore?

Radiohead is by far and away the most popular and biggest band of the 90s.

NIN is also bigger than SoundGarden.

No I'm not joking, Radiohead was formed in 80s and had a big hit ("Creep") in 92-93, so they are not late 90s band, NIN isn't even that big enough their last few albums didn't even get to Gold status, Foo Fighters are an average band I like them but c'mon they are nothing spectacular and their latest record sold similar numbers to AiC comeback record.

So where are those late 90s/2000s band that made it really big ?

Soundgarden reunion is huge story and band gets more love than ever, because there are no bands from late 90s and 2000s that made it really big and stayed relevant to this day.

You're joking right

Foo Fighters are going out on top, I think they're the biggest band to come out of the 90s that made it through the past decade, maybe Green Day's right behind them.

I don't know if Soundgarden could get back the momentum they had, even though they still sound great. They did break up at the right time, got back together and still had the ability to work on new music. That is impressive in itself, but they're doing no better or worse than Stone Temple Pilots or GNR. Radiohead are still going, but I just think because they stuck around, lost fans because they're not young and hip anymore?

No I'm not joking, Radiohead was formed in 80s and had a big hit ("Creep") in 92-93, so they are not late 90s band, NIN isn't even that big enough their last few albums didn't even get to Gold status, Foo Fighters are an average band I like them but c'mon they are nothing spectacular and their latest record sold similar numbers to AiC comeback record.

They are a late 90's band in that they really broke into the big time in the late 90's. Radiohead's big break was OK Computer in 97 so that pretty much puts them in that category irrespective of when they actually got together.

You're joking right

Sigh.

Alright, I'll bite.

Radiohead's debute was in 93. They THEN released the Bends (1995) and OK Computer (1997) to critical acclaim.

Then they came back with Kid A, three years later in 2000, again, to much critical acclaim, by drastically changing their sound and direction.

Their next big burst into mainstream media (not counting Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, as both were covered extensively by the media and once again, praised)

was with the release of In Rainbows, when they dropped their record company and allowed fans to choose how much they wanted to pay for the album.

With that one move, they began a dismantling of the record companies that got a ton of attention, and the torch has been carried by bands like NIN.

The past few years they have been headlining major festivals across the globe, and released The King of Limbs, their least praised album, but still warmly received and acclaimed.

Reznor just won an Oscar two years ago... need I say any more?

Also from the 90s and 00s... Modest Mouse. A band that will be remembered a long time after people will be saying 'Remember that Black Hole Sun band?'

And as for the 00s, The White Stripes, Muse, and The Killers are all obvious. But I do believe that MGMT, The Shins, and Vampire Weekend will be leaving their mark very soon.

Sigh.

Alright, I'll bite.

Radiohead's debute was in 93. They THEN released the Bends (1995) and OK Computer (1997) to critical acclaim.

Then they came back with Kid A, three years later in 2000, again, to much critical acclaim, by drastically changing their sound and direction.

Their next big burst into mainstream media (not counting Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, as both were covered extensively by the media and once again, praised)

was with the release of In Rainbows, when they dropped their record company and allowed fans to choose how much they wanted to pay for the album.

With that one move, they began a dismantling of the record companies that got a ton of attention, and the torch has been carried by bands like NIN.

The past few years they have been headlining major festivals across the globe, and released The King of Limbs, their least praised album, but still warmly received and acclaimed.

Reznor just won an Oscar two years ago... need I say any more?

Also from the 90s and 00s... Modest Mouse. A band that will be remembered a long time after people will be saying 'Remember that Black Hole Sun band?'

And as for the 00s, The White Stripes, Muse, and The Killers are all obvious. But I do believe that MGMT, The Shins, and Vampire Weekend will be leaving their mark very soon.

Agreed in all but the last part. White Stripes and Muse are great but MGMT, The Shins and Vampire Weekend are incidental indie fluff that have yet to make any significant mark in as far as talk of a legacy is concerned. Also, The Killers? :lol: Bitch please! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

@ Sugaraylen let`s agree to disagree apparently none of us gonna change our minds so it`s pointless to argue let`s leave it at that

Sure man, i'm not trying to change your mind about anything, just saying what i feel and shit...and explaining why, nothing personal, not trying to convert you to something here, my whole being in this thread was to do with responding to something presented here that i disagreed with, weren't up on a soapbox without any prompting or anything.

You're joking right

I don't know if NIN or Soundgarden would even debate which of the two is bigger, I'm sure Reznor's happy with what he's achieved, and knows Cornell and Timba's collaboration played a part in the Soundgarden reunion happening. Trent doesn't have to put a band back together or worries about band politics, he just calls a bunch of guys up and they go out as NIN.

I mean, Janes Addiction were pretty badass back in the day, and still get respect, but they're not exactly packing in arenas either.

Guest Len B'stard

And in the end, 70s rock rules. But that was never in doubt. For the reasons originally listed.

What can i say, to me, the world is bigger than America and England and the monsters of rock that they produced :shrugs: There's a whole other world, a whole other expieirience, many other experiences of music that were many times more original and entertaining and substancial than "rock".

At the risk of sounding snotty, this forums basically populated, by and large, by people that only seem to like your big monster bands and artists like Zep and Queen and AC/DC and Bruce Springsteen and The Who and The Stones and The Beatles and...just a billboard run down basically. Now a lot of those artists are extremely good, i'm a big fan of em but there was a lot more to the 70s than the rock that was going on, which was probably the least substancial in EVERY aspect compared to other musical movements, all except commerce.

Edited by sugaraylen

And in the end, 70s rock rules. But that was never in doubt. For the reasons originally listed.

What can i say, to me, the world is bigger than America and England and the monsters of rock that they produced :shrugs: There's a whole other world, a whole other expieirience, many other experiences of music that were many times more original and entertaining and substancial than "rock".

For example?

Edited by izzygirl

Guest Len B'stard

For exmaple?

I've mentioned it before but reggae for example, carribean music in general, Ska, Rocksteady, Dancehall, or the aforementioned Krautrock, bands like Neu or Kraftwerk or Can, or Motown or...is this a serious question, you're asking me what music exists in the world or existed in the 70s OTHER than the monsters of rock out of America and England?

The fact that you ask kinda backs up my point about people thinking that music is limited to like...Rolling Stone magazines dictates.